21051 - Tokyo

henrysunset

We don't have a thread for the new Tokyo Skyline, so I thought that I would make one.  I've built and reviewed the set at Brick Architect, and I'm sorry to report that the set is quite a disappointment!  (I'm not alone—Andrew at TBB was also really unhappy with the set.)

opengraph-21051-LEGO_Tokyo_Skyline-620x3
ʀᴇᴠɪᴇᴡ: #21051 Tokyo Skyline

My main critiques were the unsatisfying building techniques for the Tokyo Tower, the over-reliance on printed parts, the disconnect between physical geography and the layout of the model, and the disregard for historic architecture by not picking specific historic buildings to re-create.

Nonetheless, this is a site dedicated to LEGO investing, so let's consider that angle as well...  This set may do well in secondary markets, because the finished model is brightly colored and looks good (even if it isn't faithful to the city).  If it is not available in stores for very long, it will be especially good investment.  I do expect it will be sold for many years to come, however.  If I were to guess, it would be retired the same year as #21044 Paris, since both feature similar-looking towers which look nice together on retail shelves.

---tom

• Like 2