Galaxy Squad - general discussion

terrymc4677

Is anyone buying this theme? It doesn't seem to get a lot of attention on this site. I have had some bad experiences with the latest Space Police theme from an investing perspective (my son loves them, though), so I am staying away from the new Galaxy Squad. Is it unpopular since it seems to be geared more towards kids, and the kids are too busy with Ninjago, TMNT, and Chima? I was just curious what the general consensus was on this theme. Thanks.

Space sets have historically not performed well on the secondary market compared to their contemporaries. I see nothing so far about Galaxy Squad that makes me think this theme will reverse the trend. If you feel like taking the plunge then at least wait for a deep discount. If you could get these sets at 50% off they'd look a lot more attractive as an investment, but that probably won't happen for a while if ever.

Space sets have historically not performed well on the secondary market compared to their contemporaries. I see nothing so far about Galaxy Squad that makes me think this theme will reverse the trend. If you feel like taking the plunge then at least wait for a deep discount. If you could get these sets at 50% off they'd look a lot more attractive as an investment, but that probably won't happen for a while if ever.

Agreed. This theme reminds me of the failed Space Police theme. Not buying till deep discounts come.

Guest idunno101

Lego always tries to do a space theme every few years and they pretty much don't do well. I wouldn't recommend buying that theme because of that plus the sets don't look that good in my opinion.

I have absolutely no idea for investing purposes on the theme at the moment, but I do like them. What I find funny is that, as far as characters go, I like the baddies in this theme better than the good guys! As for designs, I like the Squad bots & ships. I just wish that the Toys R Us exclusive "Star Slicer" was not the only set with the dark red Buggoid! Maybe he'll be available in another set from the upcoming second wave. I want that beetleguy so badly!

Then again I have ALWAYS been a fan of the Space themes, so go fig....(or in this case, 'minifig')

That even includes SPYRIUS.

I know as a kid I always liked the classic space theme, I had a huge collection of them. The problem seems to be that as an investment space themed Lego just doesn't perform well. TRU doesn't even have the common courtesy to jack the price of Galaxy Squad up like they do all the other Lego product. During last week's sale they were all still MSRP from what I could tell, and they certainly weren't exempt from the sale like Ninja Turtles or Chima were. My gut says this is another Atlantis, and to stay away unless they're on deep discount. Hopefully I'm wrong, becuase I'd genuinely like to see a space theme take off and do well. I really think TLG should look into the Space Marine project at CUUSOO, or whatever they're calling it now since games-workshop decided to threaten them. That looks like it has some legs and is far superior to the current Galaxy Squad offering IMHO.

I really think TLG should look into the Space Marine project at CUUSOO, or whatever they're calling it now since games-workshop decided to threaten them. That looks like it has some legs and is far superior to the current Galaxy Squad offering IMHO.

I agree.

Oh, and it's called 'Space Troopers' now. Again, due to Games Workshop saying the project infringed on their trademarked Space Marine.

I would avoid these as an investment but I think they are interesting sets, I'm sure kids love them. I would still buy them at the right price, but probably just to integrate them into my personal collection. That being said, I am interested in getting the Green space marine because he reminds me of the main character from Doom. That is all.

I wouldn't get any unless they are 50% off or more. I'm betting after Christmas this year there will be so many of these left there will be huge discounts on them. I really don't think this theme will last more than a year. One and done.

Really dislike space theme overall... allthough i did like that galaxy patrol guy from CMF series 7 i think... the blue one :P he looked cool!

I was honestly hoping that this theme was going to use and have the feel of the "Galaxy Patrol" character. In short, something along the lines of the Space Marines CUUSOO project. I would have jumped through hoops for sets like those!

• 2 months later...

I've recently started collecting classic space (pre-Blacktron) basically due to great memories from my childhood. Maybe with a little nudging ;) my 5 yo son have been immersing himself in lego for the past 18 months.

It's interesting for me to see which themes my son and some of his friends get into more easily and I suspect that those sets that they seem to go for may be the ones that become the better investment opportunities. Several of my observations seem to match what I'm reading here about the investment performance of different themes. Ninjago is much loved and I can't help but be impressed by the TV tie in. When kids know the words to theme song then you know it is getting embedded into their brains to be dug out when they're adults :-). Space Patrol and Alien Conquest really didn't seem to work for him and although he has a sizable Chima collection, there doesn't seem to be the same draw as with Ninjago.

In terms of Galaxy Squad, I have noticed Ninjago-like levels of enthusiasm. The vehicles are fantastic in the clever way they split into different sub vehicles and this really seems to increase the playability. This is something you don't get with Star Wars for example (because I guess they're restricted to matching SW vehicles). There also seems to be a good strong visual theme with the white and the 4 coloured teams - something that seems to be a bit wishy-washy with Chima.

I don't have a track record to back me up but if there is a TV series to back it up I could imagine Galaxy Squad being a winner. It's certainly the first of the modern themes that I've been interested in collecting myself and personally I think it is the best thing to happen to Space Lego since 'Classic' space of the late 70s to mid 80s.

Congrats to LEGO for creating Starship Troopers for kids line 15 years after the movie was released. The vehicles look cool, but the space bugs are not my cup o tea

I agree to this.  It has a Starship Troopers feel to it and I like it.  I most likely won't purchase any unless it's for fun or charity at 30% off or more though.