HORRIBLE attitude from supervisor at TRU in Hawthorne...on saturday (2/23/13)...

mushedroom

so... i was on the hunt for ***.I. Joe Kre-o figs and then got swooped up by some lego sets that i hadn't seen in my local TRU's.. hawthorne was the store that had alot of what i was looking for. BUT...what i didn't realize or know was that there is a caveat with shopping at hawthorne...they are an experimental "bump up" store where they actually charge more for EVERYTHING... so everything i had brought for purchase was marked up. i didn't understand why this was the case and immediately i was greeted by a super with a really bad attitude. i inquired about why the prices were different and i even produced a receipt from a different TRU displaying the differences in prices for the minifigs, various small lego sets and kre-o items that i bought at 2 other TRU's before coming to this store...and then asked for price adjustments for all of the items i was buying...one of them was a sealed case of minifigs... they grabbed me one and this woman opened it even after i requested her to not do so, and half-yelled at me saying she needed to count each out...i told her there were 60 in each case...she even had an opened case on the counter...with all the info she needed but she was being a jerk and opened 1 side of the box, until a guy in a red shirt told her to use the already opened one... then i asked for the empty factory shipping box and she practically threw it at me and all the while she had this "apisshhhh" vibe about her like i was some kind of badgering/bickering parent and she was a pissed off teen filled with angst... after she disrespectfully threw the box at me i got upset and firmly called her attention and asked her flat out... "are you having a bad day?" she responded with "no i'm fine i don't know what you mean" and i fired back with: "because this, ALL OF THIS..."i can't be bothered with" attitude isn't working for me...i don't appreciate your attitude...and i'm about to spend over $300 here and you're acting like my business is unwanted here...is this the case?" that's when a different guy in a red shirt came over and said "i'm so sorry....do you want another case of minfigures? i can get you one" and he started to call the back... i told him no but that i was looking for walking dead figs...so he took me to a section in the back and i found some. while in the back i asked him what her problem was and then i laughed because she was a supervisor. and he told me that he was her supervisor and apologized for her behaviour and then told me to call him whenever i needed anything. i grabbed up about 12 figures and walked back to this woman...meanwhile she had been price adjusting everything...and then began to apologize for her behaviour. i'm not one to kick a dead horse so i let it go but i was seriously shocked at how POORLY this person acted and she is supposed to be the example of what this corporation is trying to achieve in GOOD CUSTOMER SERVICE... at the end of it all, she had price adjusted everything and again apologized for her attitude. at the end of the day i got what i came for, got discounts and price adjusting and even got more items than i was expecting. bottom line... DON'T TAKE ANY KIND OF ABUSE FROM TRU employees... but at the same time... DON'T REACT over emotionally and handle the situation with reserve and poise. it is a bigger impacting counter attack.

That stinks that you had a bad experience there but it seems like they finally gave you what you wanted/needed. I am sure we all have tales of horrible retail associates and their treatment to us in the past, my wife got treated like a criminal when she tried to pick up our site to store purchase from Walmart, she produced the card that made the purchase (it was hers) and showed the text she got on her phone notifying her that the item was there to be picked up. The problem? I put her new name down instead of her maiden name, her drivers license hasn't been updated yet but all of her other cards are, even the one that made the purchase, stupid me, I didn't know my wife would get cussed out and treated like a criminal for this. I finally spoke with them and they tried to chew me out too.

Guest idunno101

Personally I try to stay as far away from TRU as possible due to the marked up prices, the whiny kids, long lines, and.... I could keep going but I don't think I should. Anyways sorry you had that happen but i guess it all worked out in the end so happy face :)

While I rarely go to TRU, sometimes I do to get polybags since they seem to be the only store around me to carry them. They are still the only store here to have Series 9 Minifigs. Anyway, my store has always been very friendly and the people there that work the Lego section are generally AFOLs as well and usually are very helpful. The last guy went so far as to help me find particular figs I was looking for in Series 9 and assured me that it wasn't taboo to search them like I assumed it was. Bottom line, I'm sorry you had to deal with that, but they all aren't like that, maybe it's because I'm out in the Midwest and things are just a little more laid back out here.