NINJAGO DISCONTINUED IN 2013?!?!

Ed Mack

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But at its heart, it is just a bunch of ninjas, who everyone thinks are cool! Unlike Alien Conquest or some of the other stuff that has been released, I think there is enough ninja in Ninjago to keep adults buying it in the future. Especially when the kids from today get a little older, get back into LEGO, and want that Epic Dragon Battle or Fire Temple that mom wouldn't get them when they were little.

But at its heart, it is just a bunch of ninjas, who everyone thinks are cool! Unlike Alien Conquest or some of the other stuff that has been released, I think there is enough ninja in Ninjago to keep adults buying it in the future. Especially when the kids from today get a little older, get back into LEGO, and want that Epic Dragon Battle or Fire Temple that mom wouldn't get them when they were little.

The Epic Dragon Battle(9450) will be a kick @$$ investor's set...and you can take that to the bank! LOL

• 2 months later...

6 Ninjago Sets that are gonna kill the secondary market. 1) Epic Dragon Battle 2) Fire Temple 3) Ultra Sonic Raider 4) Lightning Dragon Battle 5) Destinys Bounty 6) Garmadon's Dark Fortress. There you have it folks. 6 money makers that will surprise you so you definitely need to stock up. Sleepers don't make sense but when they make you money it dosent matter. Ed and Jeff knows!!! These sets will be sought after by collectors, you'll see...just don't miss the Boat.

Honestly, I miss the original 'Ninja' series they did in 1999 (in more ways than one). I guess 'Ninjago' was Lego's way of bringing that line back in a new way and give it some kind of backstory. As for investing, the big ticket items, like 'Garmadon's Dark Fortress' (which I have OH YEAH!) are good choices, but I think the minifigure packs (Ninjago Spinners) could prove to be minimal investment-big time payback in the longrun. Their basically a blister pack with a minifig and some weapons. Though I'll admit you can get a decent set for the cost of two or more of the blister-style spinner packs since those cost about $10 each (foil packs are $5), but still, sets with nothing but minifigures (similiar to Star Wars Battle Packs) after the series is discontinued increase in value dramatically! Search through BrickLink and take a look at minifig packs from earlier series, or even just minifigs themselves. For example, (since we're on the subject of Ninja's) the 'Ninja' #3 Minifig three-pack. It comes with 2 green ninja & a shogun, cost $5 back then. Guess how much it is now? 350 DOLLARS!!!!! Or heck, even the 'Ninja' #1 Minifig pack with only ONE MINIFIG (another shogun) can go as much as $80!!! Sheesh! I guess the only question left is which ones will become more valuable than others. Well, I do know the Samurai X spinner pack didn't stay on selves for long! It would be safe to assume the spinner packs with minifigs that cannot be bought in the bigger sets (like the NRG ninja's, Lloyd ZX, and the weapon pack with NRG Kai & Chokun) will definately become highly collectible. True, they probably won't become as valuable as the 'Ultra Sonic Raider' or 'Fire Temple'. But come on, spend $10 now get $30-40 later. Not too shabby. Edit: I just looked at some eBay listings for Ninjago spinner packs....holy crap! There's a NRG Jay listed at 100 DOLLARS!! REALLY?! And then there's one for the weapon pack with NRG Kai & Chokun listed around $60!! Dude, I can still pick these up at Target for retail! Good grief....

• 1 month later...

6 Ninjago Sets that are gonna kill the secondary market. 1) Epic Dragon Battle 2) Fire Temple 3) Ultra Sonic Raider 4) Lightning Dragon Battle 5) Destinys Bounty 6) Garmadon's Dark Fortress. There you have it folks. 6 money makers that will surprise you so you definitely need to stock up. Sleepers don't make sense but when they make you money it dosent matter. Ed and Jeff knows!!! These sets will be sought after by collectors, you'll see...just don't miss the Boat.

*7) Phangpyre Mech.....

Ninjago is a very popular theme and LEGO knows that. But all theme's have to go at some point and now it is Ninjago's turn. Ninjago will have a final wave of sets that will be released early next year (probably mid to late January 2013). A new theme (which looks surprisingly similar), Legends of Chima, will replace Ninjago with LOC sets coming out around about the same time as the last Ninjago sets.

Information regarding Ninjago and Legends of Chima's 2013 sets can be found below...

January 2013 Ninjago sets:

70500 Kai

Nice post. I noticed the Chima sets are relatively small to mid sized sets. I always enjoy several large sets in any theme.

Thanks. I am now getting used to coming (and participating in them) to the Brick Picker forums.

The Legends of Chima sets don't really "wow" me as such. The sets are okay.....but I probably won't purchase any of them...... Many Ninjago fans on the LMB's are putting the Chima theme down and are not liking it at all. I don't know why LEGO are going to discontinue the Ninjago brand when it has been extremely popular and they have probably earned a reasonable amount of money from it.

I don't buy much LEGO these days (only a few small sets from City, Technic and Creator). I used to always be buying sets but now it is my brother that is constantly buying LOTR and Star Wars sets and I am saving up for much bigger things (like cameras, computers, etc.). That doesn't mean to say that I don't like LEGO -I LOVE LEGO and I do have quite a big basic bricks collection. But the things that don't interest me are usually LEGO's licensed themes (eg. TMNT, LOTR, Star Wars and many more). My Dad is always saying (usually after my brother purchases a licensed themed set) that LEGO is getting "too specialized" in their sets. This is partly true, although that is what most kids want these days. They watch a movie (like The Amazing Spider-Man) and then they can get the LEGO sets that portray the scene that was in the movie.

One thing that I would buy in an instant if LEGO started producing them, would be LEGO RC cars. I know that LEGO has done this in the past with LEGO Racers, but I wasn't really a LEGO "fan" then and the technology included in the kits were old by today's standards. LEGO has also done TECHNIC RC stuff, but those models are very expensive in New Zealand. This CUUSOO project (http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/8889#) is an example of what I would like to see in the future. I have always loved Radio Control stuff, and I think that by combining Power Functions and normal LEGO we could have a awesome collection of amazing RC LEGO models. I wanted to submit this idea to LEGO CUUSOO but, because I am not 13 yet, I cannot get an account on there for me to post it.

I noticed the Chima sets are relatively small to mid sized sets. I always enjoy several large sets in any theme.

Me too, somewhat. I like it better when a theme has a nice, varied selection of priced sets. I hate it when ALL there is are large expensive sets. The odd jumps in price range is why the THE AVENGERS sets are frustating for me.

You have two small sets (one at $13, the other at $20), then it takes a giant leap to $50 with "Hulk's Helicarrior Breakout", then to $70 with "The Quinjet" (the one I REALLY want). They really could have spaced these sets out a little better (like most themes). They also could have included one more enemy in "Captain America's Avenging Cycle". It's practically the same price as a STAR WARS battle pack, so why not?

Ugh, now I would have to buy another of Captain America's set to get a decent amount of enemies. Cause even with all four THE AVENGERS sets, you'd only end up with three enemies AND three Loki's. Like I really that many of the Loki douchbag? I'd rather get more of the alien army dudes than him.

Many Ninjago fans on the LMB's are putting the Chima theme down and are not liking it at all. I don't know why LEGO are going to discontinue the Ninjago brand when it has been extremely popular and they have probably earned a reasonable amount of money from it.

Well, I'm going to say that I'm a NINJAGO fan and (from what I've seen) am going to like next year's LEGENDS OF CHIMA theme. But then again, I liked the original "Thundercats" and "SilverHawks" cartoon, so probably not much of a surprise there really.

As for the discontinuation of NINJAGO, I just posted a reply in the "LEGENDS OF CHIMA SETS REVEALED" thread (and realized I spelled "revealed" wrong in the topic title, dang it) that basically wraps up my thoughts on this subject, but I'll try and summarize here.

1. LEGO could have planned for a general three-year run.

2. Too much of one theme can saturate the market and lose interest of target audience.

3. Best strategy may be to quit while on top, than wait for interest to fall flat.

But the things that don't interest me are usually LEGO's licensed themes (eg. TMNT, LOTR, Star Wars and many more). My Dad is always saying (usually after my brother purchases a licensed themed set) that LEGO is getting "too specialized" in their sets. This is partly true, although that is what most kids want these days. They watch a movie (like The Amazing Spider-Man) and then they can get the LEGO sets that portray the scene that was in the movie.

LEGO is getting rather 'licensed'. On one part, I get why. It's good money and one less theme to try and come up with. For some time, however, I was worried that LEGO was starting to go down 'the dark side' and seemed to only make licensed sets. Which is dangerously close to MEGA BLOKS current strategy. Those guys haven't created one original theme in years! Thankfully, LEGO has almost as many licensed themes as original ones and, so long as they keep an even balance, everything will be alright.

STAR WARS - "Palpatine's Arrest" is a good example of what you said about portraying a scene in the film. As well designed as it is, there really doesn't feel like that much play value in it. Seriously, after you play the scene it represents, umm.....what are you supposed to do with it now? Play it over again?

One thing that I would buy in an instant if LEGO started producing them, would be LEGO RC cars.

Ahhh yeah! Now that's what I'm talking about! Official LEGO RC Cars would be great!

I know currently all there is are TECHNIC RC's, and I do remember the older LEGO ones (yes, they were rather outdated or just plain expensive) but I would love to see an actual, full on, LEGO RC!

Good find with that CUUSOO project there. I'll post that on my "CUUSOO - Project Picks" thread for everyone to see and hopefully support.

I wanted to submit this idea to LEGO CUUSOO but, because I am not 13 yet, I cannot get an account on there for me to post it.

Yeah, sorry about that.

You know, that in of itself is a bit of the reason why many CUUSOO projects seemed doomed to fail.

I mean, an adult is going to create an 'adult' set, using lots of parts and containing a ton of detail.

But LEGO want's sets that will cater to the 6-14 age range, which can be a completely different mindset.

I'm just saying 'big boys' want 'big toys'.

You know, that in of itself is a bit of the reason why many CUUSOO projects seemed doomed to fail.

I mean, an adult is going to create an 'adult' set, using lots of parts and containing a ton of detail.

But LEGO want's sets that will cater to the 6-14 age range, which can be a completely different mindset.

I'm just saying 'big boys' want 'big toys'.

I just realized that that is actually true! I hadn't noticed that before, but most of the CUUSOO projects that I have seen are by AFOL's that build HUGE models (like the UCS Sandcrawler and the Firefly Serenity). Most of those projects arrive at 10000 votes and get reviewed. This makes it very hard for KFOL and TFOL's to create successful CUUSOO projects. Most of the "big" CUUSOO projects don't pass review because they are too big for them to become a LEGO product.

Most of LEGO's products are small, so they would probably want small models -wouldn't they?

Yes & no.

If a set is too big (over 5,000 pieces for example), it would be too costly to produce and require further redesign to make the idea work (which can mean time wasted by LEGO).

And if a set is too small (perhaps less than 100-150 pieces), then it may be considered not worth LEGO's time to produce such a set.

Even after an idea is passed, LEGO still has to create the packaging, instructions, and pieces themselves.

Then there's the issue of the 1% commision for the original designer.

(of which, we still don't know what list of sales that percentage will be taken from.)

I believe after a moderate list of CUUSOO projects have been fully supported & turned into actual sets,

we will then have a better overall feeling and understanding for the kind of sets CUUSOO is actually meant for.

Until then, designers everwhere are using the 'shotgun effect' and hope something hits.

If a set is too big (over 5,000 pieces for example), it would be too costly to produce and require further redesign to make the idea work (which can mean time wasted by LEGO).

And if a set is too small (perhaps less than 100-150 pieces), then it may be considered not worth LEGO's time to produce such a set.

I guess that that this true...it's just that creating a idea on CUUSOO that only would include 100-150 pieces would be a waste of time really. It would be wayy too small and with AFOL's that have the "bigger is better" philosophy that wouldn't work....

There are enough quality CUUSOO designs to cater to every type of LEGO fan. I really think LEGO needs to make multiple CUUSOO sets. When I say multiple, at least 5 new sets a year. The creativity some of these MOC designers exhibit is wonderful...even better than LEGO itself. I think it could be their best theme, hands down, if enough sets were produced annually.

I really think LEGO needs to make multiple CUUSOO sets. When I say multiple, at least 5 new sets a year. I think it could be their best theme, hands down, if enough sets were produced annually.

Now that is what I'm talking about! 5+ CUUSOO sets a year would be awesome! People (like me) are always waiting for the CUUSOO sets to arrive. The only problem would be the review process. The review takes ages, so how would they get 5 sets through the review in one year?

The creativity some of these MOC designers exhibit is wonderful...even better than LEGO itself.

The creativity, as you said, is amazing! The talent that most of the builders on CUUSOO have is astounding! Take, for example, the LEGO Bird Series (http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/16897). The amount of detail that DeTomaso has included in the birds is amazing! I would buy on of those any day! :)

Image of the birds created by DeTomaso for his CUUSOO project: -truly fascinating!