4207 - City Garage

redeemed763

I know the price is ok, the set really just seems pretty ordinary though, like there will be a new one a few years that is just as good, do city sets consistently do well on the secondary market? I am a little worried it won't get any attention when its time to sell as it really doesn't LOOK like a $120 set to me and people may not be willing to plunk down $200 for it later.

I know the price is ok, the set really just seems pretty ordinary though, like there will be a new one a few years that is just as good, do city sets consistently do well on the secondary market? I am a little worried it won't get any attention when its time to sell as it really doesn't LOOK like a $120 set to me and people may not be willing to plunk down $200 for it later.

You are right, this set does not have the feel of a $120 set. But it has some nice vehicles in it, and any City builder will want a parking garage for their town. I was in love with it when I first saw the pictures, then fell out of love with it when I saw the price. My son doesn't really get into the City stuff and the set doesn't really fit my investing scheme, so I don't think I'll ever have one.

You are right, this set does not have the feel of a $120 set. But it has some nice vehicles in it, and any City builder will want a parking garage for their town. I was in love with it when I first saw the pictures, then fell out of love with it when I saw the price. My son doesn't really get into the City stuff and the set doesn't really fit my investing scheme, so I don't think I'll ever have one.

I feel the same. The set is pretty cool, but I still feel like it's missing something, not sure what though. $120 seems like too much for this set. It ought to be a $90-100 set in my opinion.

If the US price is too high, maybe no one will buy it and it will become sky high on the secondary market.

That is my thought on it too. I think it is way under the radar. People don't want to spend the $120 for it and kind of pass it by. But look at what happened to the City Garage (7642). It was a cheaper set and is now valued at $166+.

This is my thoughts on it too. I think it is way under the radar. People don't want to spend the $120 for it and kinda of pass it by. But look at what happened to the City Garage (7642). It was a cheaper set and is now valued at $166+.

Personally I liked 7642 a lot more, but that could just be me. I loved the heavy duty tow truck in that set. If 4207 had that bigger tow truck I would like it a lot more lol. 4207 will probably do pretty well later down the road though. It's playability factor is much greater than 7642. So for kids especially it will be a great set to have. But it will probably have to be moved/sold quickly as Lego will probably have a newer garage coming out shortly after. If 4207 gets discounted to the $90 range I will be picking a couple up.

I like 7642 a lot more as well, I think I will pass on this one, I'd rather have some more Helm's Deeps than these sets when I have no idea how they will do. People say city sets do well, but due to the massive quantity produced, there are ton that don't go anywhere because they get replaced so often.

This is my thoughts on it too. I think it is way under the radar. People don't want to spend the $120 for it and kinda of pass it by. But look at what happened to the City Garage (7642). It was a cheaper set and is now valued at $166+.

Personally I liked 7642 a lot more, but that could just be me. I loved the heavy duty tow truck in that set. If 4207 had that bigger tow truck I would like it a lot more lol. 4207 will probably do pretty well later down the road though. It's playability factor is much greater than 7642. So for kids especially it will be a great set to have. But it will probably have to be moved/sold quickly as Lego will probably have a newer garage coming out shortly after. If 4207 gets discounted to the $90 range I will be picking a couple up.

They have replaced 7642 with one that has 40 less pieces and costs 20% more, in the US at least. Also it's only been out for 6 months so presumably it will have a 2 year one. So no point in getting one yet unless it is really cheap, like 50% off RRP.

I see a lot of people saying don't buy this or that set right now because it might not go EOL for a year or 2. While this may be how some people would like to invest here is why I pick up sets like this even if I know they have a while before they will be retired. Usually you have 1 or maybe 2 chances to pick up a set at its rock bottom price. It only hits this price once or maybe twice during the entire time it is available. So if you wait until it goes EOL you may be paying full price. If you are lucky you may find it on clearance but you just never know. Especially with a set that is exclusive like this. Those that picked it up for $77 saved 36% off the retail price. You may never see it that low again even when it is on clearance. So in a couple years when it goes EOL and jumps up in price you could sell it right away and make a decent profit. While those that wait for it to go EOL and then buy it will have to wait a couple years from that point on to make a decent return. It all depends on how you would like to invest. I personally feel like a "buy on sale and sell once EOL" strategry could work and also gives you the option to sell any time after EOL instead of waiting a 2+ years. Just my thoughts.

I agree, buy at as low as possible. But the trick is to know what the lowest is going to be. It's a personal choice but I think a 35+% discount is worth taking. I recently bought two 9473s when they were 36% off at amazon. This is not a set I really follow but the cheapest European deal is only 15% off at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

This a retired TRU Exclusive, the MSRP was $120, I think TRU sold them for $130 and currenltly has them for $100 on clearance. Do you guys think this could reach $200?

TRU Exclusives seem to have medium results, and City sets in general I know a lot of people are pretty cold on.

• 4 months later...

This set is still hanging around TRU at $100! I bought a bunch last x-mas, thinking they would be retired soon. Nope! Maybe we'll get lucky, and they'll finally be retired sometime this year. Before x-mas would be especially nice!

• 3 weeks later...