• United Kingdom
    • Ireland
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Japan
    • Australia
    • New Zealand
    • Antarctica

36 Male from California.  I grew up on Legos, my favorite was the Forestmen, Black Falcons and Wolfpack faction of the original Castle set.  I am working on re-acquiring all of the 80's & 90's castle sub themes and I am excited to share some photos as I get build the collection!

Please allow myself......   to introduce.....   myself.  (AP humor)    Male from Southern California....

last night, after 5 hours of reading (on this site) and 5 stiff screwdrivers, I made my  

first purchase of legos ever.      ( i grabbed 3 tumblers and 5 battle of takadona from target )

I'm looking long term or at least a couple years.   That's all I have for you with my first post.

• Like 1

Greetings all,

I am a 40something husband and dad of 2 boys. I was a Lego fanatic as a kid and emerged from my Dark Ages 2-3 years ago. I joined BP a little less than a year ago and have mostly been lurking since. I'm a collector/builder and opportunist investor. I've been a hard core Disney Cars diecast collector for about 5 years so not new to the toy hunting/investing/buying/selling/trading/rat-holing game but just starting to realize my efforts are better focused on ABS bricks rather than zinc cars with eyes.

Great community here and I look forward to learning and participating!

My other hobbies/interests include vintage Japanese motorcycles, American sport motorcycles, Cub Scouts, camping, vacationing Clark Griswold style, drinking American Pale Ales, wood-smoking and eating animals, playing steel-tip darts in a league and Cold War-era history and politics. 

To get money, I am a mid-level manager in the exciting world of wireless telecommunications.

Cheers,

Tom

Hello everyone!  29 yo female from CA, here.  I am so happy I found this site, it's awesome and so informative.  I'm also glad to have a Lego community to post.  I'm new to the Lego world.  My 3 yo recently graduated to from his duplos to doing easy Lego sets and bionicles.  So, I've been stocking up and the whole house is officially addicted now- well I know I am :) (I've been shopping for myself and getting into building too).  I have also put a good amount of time into looking up and researching Lego- just getting as must info as I can and getting familiar with different series/ sets.  I can't wait to actually talk to other peopl now :D

I am a newbie here and this is my first post. I have been at this for a few months and currently building my stock. My focus has been on what interests me. While the chance to make some money at the investing/resale game is appealing, it has been fun for my kids and myself to go buy sets that interest us. With this in mind, my focus of sets have been on Star Wars, Friends, and Marvel/DC comic heroes. This being because my daughter is a Lego Friend fanatic, and my boy is into Star Wars and comic book heroes. So if a set does not sell then we have something to build. While I do see the possibilities of people being able to make a good profit at doing this, this is something that is not in the plan for me. I live in a town with only Walmart so my ability to purchase is limited. I have done some price matching from other sites and used this to my advantage to help build some stock. Long story short if I can make a few extra bucks on flipping some sets and some better money on sitting on sets for a while then it is worth it to me. While Lego might provide another option for investing, I do not think that I am going to stop contributing to my 401K, Roth IRA, and other investments as well as I have no plans on quitting my day job, the retirement benefits are too good. 

While still a novice to the game it does worry me to see a lot of investors focusing on a certain set; Tumbler, Red5, etc. It seems to me that the market is going to be saturated with these sets, there is going to be a lot of product that is going to be trying to be sold. I might be wrong but if everyone is in on the trend and buying it up to resale later I feel the market is going to be thin. Like I said I could be wrong, but I am looking for other areas. I picked up to Lego Juniors last night on clearance and am trying for a quick flip on them due to them going for 125%-150% of MSRP. If I get it great if not my little guy with have something to do one evening and I am out $15 bucks. 

Anyways I look forward to the journey and having some fun while doing it. 

• Like 1

Wow, I hit the average (mean, median - whatever, hated statistics class anyway) in all the categories for this poll except for location.  Not in Europe, but in Colorado.  What do you think, is that 'West' or 'Southwest'?

Lemmie see...middle aged (depending on my death certificate), married, one child.  Computer geek.  Built like a linebacker - the average kind, not the J.J. Watt kind.

Huge into Lego in my youth.  Built my own Star Trek: The Next Generation style Enterprise (D) and Tie Interceptor that are still hanging from fishing line in my parent's basement.  Didn't do anything with Lego in my college years and through most of my 20's.  Based on my shop.lego.com account I emerged from my Dark Ages around 2010 - May 4th, not surprisingly.  But I'm thinking that I must have started a few years earlier based on some of my sets - like Ultimate Collector's Millennium Falcon that's collecting dust from around 2007.  It's been up on the shelf so long that I don't even know if it's a first edition (or whatever it's called, nerds) - I'm guessing it's not, but unless I take it down to look, I can dream.

Besides that beauty I suppose my most prized set is the Bat-Pod I won from Lego this last summer.  It's somewhat odd to be the most prized entirely because of it's rarity and the fact that I'll never open it...box makes it worth something (and maybe those tires), otherwise it's next to 'meh' status - interesting.  Maybe that'll be the thing that kills me one day...finding that my kid(s) have opened it.  The one that I've wanted for years I finally pulled the trigger on as an early Christmas 2015 present to myself (oh, who am I kidding, I don't need a holiday/birthday/event to justify a purchase, I wanted it, so I bought it) is the Super Star Destroyer.

The rest of the sets I've acquired are mostly for my own pleasure to someday build, hopefully when the child(ren) are of age to appreciate it (and/or not eat the pieces) and some vague sense of 'investment'.  Of the massive sets that I own, only The Tumbler has been purchased in duplicate.  I also picked up a duplicate Jabba's Sail Barge 75020 on a whim recently.

I have barely looked through the forums on here before now and have only been aware of the site for a few months, but I picked up the book by 'The Macks' and one of my first acts on the site was to donate/enter the Brickpicker Raffle Fundraiser for a Great Cause.  I hope you all donate (but I hope none of you enter the drawings - just saying) ;-)

I'm sure I've overshared for my first post and probably put in in the wrong place...but, what the heck, I'm a n00b here, right?

- LordEnder

Edited by LordEnder

10 hours ago, LordEnder said:

Wow, I hit the average (mean, median - whatever, hated statistics class anyway) in all the categories for this poll except for location.  Not in Europe, but in Colorado.  What do you think, is that 'West' or 'Southwest'?

Welcome from another Coloradan!

Hi everybody,

Recently joined the brickpickers. New to LEGO investing but a lifelong fan! Very happy my son reached an age so we can build together, he turns 5 next month. However i am completely new to 'forums'. Second post here, third in my entire life... Hope i get the hang of it. Pardon my rookie mistakes I'm sure I will make (like trying to paste an image in my first post :derisive:)

Nice to meet you all!

7 minutes ago, SlashMcGee said:

Hi everybody,

Recently joined the brickpickers. New to LEGO investing but a lifelong fan! Very happy my son reached an age so we can build together, he turns 5 next month. However i am completely new to 'forums'. Second post here, third in my entire life... Hope i get the hang of it. Pardon my rookie mistakes I'm sure I will make (like trying to paste an image in my first post :derisive:)

Nice to meet you all!

Welcome!

Hey guys,

New to the forums. 24/M located in Virginia (although I'm moving to Korea for a year in a couple weeks!) I've been building legos since I was a child minus several years while I was in college. Been reading a lot on the forums while slowly building up my portfolio. Mostly safe items that I feel will be good if they sit for a year while I'm in Korea!

Looking forward to contributing to this growing and informative community.

Cheers!

Hello everyone,

I'm 37/M located in New Jersey. I loved building with legos as a kid and building Disney Princess sets with my daughter recently re-ignited my love for them. I figure that I can buy sets to build and some sets to hold on to and hopefully they will be worth something in the near future.

Looking forward to being part of the community.

Hi all,

33 year young German guy here. I grew up with and mostly built space themed Lego sets (I guess my Russian mother favoured cosmonauts over racing car drivers). Recently I found my old monorail (6990) at my parents' house, built it and was pleasantly surprised that it's still working fine.

I was hooked again and got myself (because the madame wouldn't) the UCS Red Five (10240) for Christmas. After 2 weeks I saw prices on ebay.de skyrocket well above € 300,-  and now I am here to learn what the hell happened there. :geek:

PS: By now the madame approves of the X-Wing.

Hello! I just joined! I'm a 34 year old female Lego lover! Got my first set when I was 7 or 8 years old... I think it was a white farmhouse with a red roof. Came with horses. I also remember some pirate, space, race car, castle, and forest sets back in my youth. Luckily my mom saved most of the bricks. I think many of them were chewed up by the family dog, but I have salvaged a bunch of parts and pieces from all those sets. I have a 6 year old son now who I am sharing the love of Lego. I may enjoy putting the sets together more than he does! It's very therapeutic. Thanks for reading!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LegoYoda said:

Hello! I just joined! I'm a 34 year old female Lego lover! Got my first set when I was 7 or 8 years old... I think it was a white farmhouse with a red roof. Came with horses. I also remember some pirate, space, race car, castle, and forest sets back in my youth. Luckily my mom saved most of the bricks. I think many of them were chewed up by the family dog, but I have salvaged a bunch of parts and pieces from all those sets. I have a 6 year old son now who I am sharing the love of Lego. I may enjoy putting the sets together more than he does! It's very therapeutic. Thanks for reading!

Welcome...

33 male from Michigan. Loved Legos when I was a kid. Still regret selling them at a garage sale years ago. Anyway, totally outgrew them until my sister had two boys of her own. One of them is totally into Legos so I, in turn, rediscovered my passion for them. 

I enjoy building them with my nephew and have recently began acquiring some to invest in for the future. I don't have tons of money like some other members I read about in the forums who have the ability to purchase multiple sets at once. I am envious though and more power to them. 

Looking forward to grinning insight on future sets to invest in. Glad I discovered this site. 

• Like 1

My wife and kids have been collecting and playing with legos for most of the past 13 years.  My brother n law told me about this site and I thought it might be interesting to see the value of the collection.  A few ebay purchases old sets with books were bought first. now we have a whole house full.

Hello everyone,

I'm a 43 year old male from the Netherlands that just re-discovered the beauty of Lego. While getting in to Lego again it became clear that Lego can be a good investment to. So I decided to enjoy the Lego's both ways. Little investing and buy and build what I like.

7 hours ago, Chimeara said:

Hello everyone,

I'm a 43 year old male from the Netherlands that just re-discovered the beauty of Lego. While getting in to Lego again it became clear that Lego can be a good investment to. So I decided to enjoy the Lego's both ways. Little investing and buy and build what I like.

Welcome to the boards!

Hello everyone,

Where do I begin?  

Last Christmas my girlfriend bought a lego set (#75079) as The Force Awakens was about to release and the both of us were very excited.  I am being honest when I say my parents never bought me Legos...NO JOKE.. The folks didn't make the most money as they both worked graveyard and I think they felt that I wouldn't actually "complete" the set so they probably didn't see the value in the "toy".  I think I made have shared that story with her...

Anyways I am a 35 yr old man and I am being hones when I say I had more fun putting that set together that I have in a long time. I think a lot of times we work so much we forget sometimes the most simple things can bring us joy.  Needless to say I started doing research... I must admit I must have been living under a rock for the past 2 decades as I had know idea how "big" Lego actually is.  It's one of those hobbies that all ages can enjoy and gain a little financial income as well. (given you are patient and do your homework...Income as in future income from investing in the right ones)