• Ireland
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Japan
    • Australia
    • New Zealand
    • Antarctica

Hello all.  Self-introduction here.

34-yr old male in the US Midwest.  3 kids all under the age of 3 yrs old - their arrival brought me out of my "dark ages" and back to Lego.  Hardcore AFOL now.

9-yr US Army vet (paratrooper, hence "Airborne" in my handle), got an MBA and married in my late 20's / early 30's and now run my own independent consulting business assisting major US banks when they run into hot water with regulators.

I'm an MOC/MOD display builder first and foremost.  A reseller second - only meddling in moving a relatively meager volume of excesses from my own inventory/collection.  As for investing - well, I've always been leery of Lego as a bonafide "investment opportunity", and instead see Lego as an "expensive hobby, but one which can be slightly less expensive through reselling".  The MBA-finance background keeps me keenly aware Lego's sole instrinsic value is that of a "play/hobby commodity", and thus the inherent investment opportunity lives and dies both on external market demand and supplier (TLG) production decisions.  In other words, I'd never put money into Lego before my traditional investment accounts because Lego is far more volatile - but that doesn't mean a Brickfolio can't be a prudent way to hedge the costs of Lego as a hobby.

Active Eurobricks browser/poster for a couple years - gleaning inspirations and posting a few of my own MOC/MOD builds (username AirborneAFOL).  Substantial modular-style basement tabletop display.

Daily Brickset user as well, for my "Lego news" fix and using their ACM tool for my set inventory.  Incidentally, I've got around $12,500 spent on sets the past 3 years; only the modular-expert ones retain 100% intact, with dozens of the Creator/City themes having undergone extensive MOD alterations, and scores of non-city-theme sets having been parted out (minifigs/rare elements sold, 50-75% of the set just dumped into my personal brick inventory for MOC/MOD purposes).

WARNING: Shameless self-promotion plug.  I maintain a modest storefront ("veritasbricks") on Ebay, where I do $250-500 in monthly sales.  My Ebay store is mostly just to part out minifigs from sets (particularly themed/lisenced ones), random brick lots from when I overindulge on retail PAB, assorted lots I lack the storage/need for, some sporadic parted-set components, a few NISB I pick up at below-retail costs, and the occassional classic/vintage set I no longer have the space/interest to keep in my own display.  Frankly it's not a profitable venture for me at all, and just serves to keep my wife appeased by showing her at least *some* bricks going out the door on a routine basis (it's the best answer I've found to "Seriously?!?! MORE Lego?!?!?  How much money did you spend this time?!?!").  I tend to be lucky to just break even in terms of acquisition + shipping + materials costs.  All my listings are BIN-OBO, but if ever you're interested in something there, msg me there that you're a Brickpicker and I'll gladly give you a 10% discount.  Fellow AFOL's tend to recognize good value when they see it and capitalize on combined shipping, which saves me time packaging the small orders for soccer moms (leaving me more time for my actual passion of building).  All in all I'd say I'm very much a "small time reseller" - if you can even call it "reselling", given I don't do it profitably - but very much enjoy engaging in discussions of Ebay buying/selling news, strategies, etc.

Registered on Bricklink and browse frequently (their price guide is my go-to reference for buying/selling elements & minifigs) but never gone to the trouble of actually buying/selling there.   With only 60-100 active listings on Ebay at any given time (~20k total elements for sale), I suspect I'd have too few/small of orders there to make it worth the trouble, and am bias towards the postage/shipping ease of Ebay.

In the past year, I've picked up just a handful (~$1k value) of sets maintained NISB (both Creator Christmas sets, Ewok Village, a couple $20-50 City sets, etc).  Despite being leery of Lego as a true "investment opportunity", I've come to find Brickpicker to be at the top of the list for Lego sites I frequent.  Between the investing/selling insights in the forums, Brickfolio tools, and most recently the wildly inspiring St Paul School Raffle, I've just finally created an account.  Tend to post very rarely (on any Lego site for that matter) but visit daily.

Hopefully this bio isn't inappropriately longwinded / self-promoting - and just useful reference point in the event someone sees one of my rare sporadic posts and wants to dig up my historical ones to find out a bit more about who I am.

Cheers.

-Ryan

Edited by AirborneAFOL
typos
  • Like 5

hi all! my name is gareth from melbourne, australia. 

i've just recently starting investing in lego and suffice to say, i'm already obsessed! it's so much fun checking everything out and reading everyone's thoughtful, informative and insightful posts. thanks!

nice to meet you all.

happy bricking! :)

• 3 weeks later...

First timer posting here!

Whats up everyone,

30yr Male from NY.  I was a die hard Lego fan (Castle and Pirate theme, late 80's early 90's) as a child and unfortunately got away from building as I grew up. Growing up I was always a massive Star Wars fan and one day last August I randomly stumbled across a LEGO article and it made me wonder if LEGO made any Star Wars products. I thought it would be fun to check out the LEGO Store online and see what themes/products were offered these days. I was absolutely blown away when I checked out the Star Wars theme, especially the UCS sets. At the time the UCS X-Wing was sold out so I decided it would be cool to pick up a Slave I and give building another shot.  THIS WAS THE WORST DECISION OF MY LIFE FOR ME (and my wallet) lol. I had an absolute ball building the set and was instantly addicted to building, and now collecting, these sets. Since the Slave I, I have bought about 6-7 other UCS sets and a few TFA sets, spending an ungodly amount of money on my new found habit. I forgot how fun building was and am glad I got back into LEGO! Glad I stumbled across this site, happy building!

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, cjordan024 said:

First timer posting here!

Whats up everyone,

30yr Male from NY.  I was a die hard Lego fan (Castle and Pirate theme, late 80's early 90's) as a child and unfortunately got away from building as I grew up. Growing up I was always a massive Star Wars fan and one day last August I randomly stumbled across a LEGO article and it made me wonder if LEGO made any Star Wars products. I thought it would be fun to check out the LEGO Store online and see what themes/products were offered these days. I was absolutely blown away when I checked out the Star Wars theme, especially the UCS sets. At the time the UCS X-Wing was sold out so I decided it would be cool to pick up a Slave I and give building another shot.  THIS WAS THE WORST DECISION OF MY LIFE FOR ME (and my wallet) lol. I had an absolute ball building the set and was instantly addicted to building, and now collecting, these sets. Since the Slave I, I have bought about 6-7 other UCS sets and a few TFA sets, spending an ungodly amount of money on my new found habit. I forgot how fun building was and am glad I got back into LEGO! Glad I stumbled across this site, happy building!

Welcome to the site let us know if you have any questions!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

New to site. I grew up with all kinds of Lego's in the 80s. I still own many 80s Technic sets, they are my favorite. My son is into Lego's too. I just started getting back into building, and small investing this year. I just finished building the Volvo wheel loader, and the Mercedes Arcos. Really neat sets!! Can't wait for the Porsche!!!

36 minutes ago, Pohltruck said:

New to site. I grew up with all kinds of Lego's in the 80s. I still own many 80s Technic sets, they are my favorite. My son is into Lego's too. I just started getting back into building, and small investing this year. I just finished building the Volvo wheel loader, and the Mercedes Arcos. Really neat sets!! Can't wait for the Porsche!!!

Welcome.  Yeah that Porsche looks great.  Going to get me back into Technic i think :)

I'm pretty new to BrickPicker (and a recently fell-back-in-love-with-LEGO AFOL)... I've been using this website and reviewing/commenting on various forums for a couple of weeks now, but thought I should formally introduce myself.

Welcome...

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning everyone. 

My name is Arika and I live in Southern IN (though nothing you've read of IN in recent years applies to me, promise). I'm a 30yr old mom of one + stepmom of two. I am only recently a Lego enthusiast and came to it in a roundabout way. All of our children are very into Harry Potter, both the book series and movies, so we took them to the Wizarding World last summer. We found that this particular series was one of a only a few series that our entire household, age 6 - 34, all enjoy so we began going through it in depth together. I noticed a distinct lack of merch which led me to begin researching online. That's where I found that themed Lego sets were basically the only good HP toy made. I started acquiring them (EBay) and could not believe the expense of some. This of course led to more and more research and i just kind of got sucked in. 

We now have fifteen of the HP sets (we say they're mine to ensure they're well cared for, but I share ;)), one daughter collecting all the Disney sets (non-Duplo) and another daughter collecting the Elves. I've also ordered an Ewok Village and intend to get my husband one of the current 1000+ piece Star Wars set as part of his Father's Day gift, though I've not decided which quite yet (opinions welcome). 

I have a growing fascination with this whole idea of Lego investing which is what led me here. I have been reading in the forums and feel totally out of my depth and out of my league, but still find it all very interesting. With the amount of pleasure Lego has been bringing my family I'll likely continue just purchasing sets for personal use and relentlessly preaching box, instruction, and set care to the kids, but who knows? I can't say I haven't started eyeing sale ads and clearance sections at the local stores we frequent. . .

• Like 1

Good morning everyone. 

My name is Arika and I live in Southern IN (though nothing you've read of IN in recent years applies to me, promise). I'm a 30yr old mom of one + stepmom of two. I am only recently a Lego enthusiast and came to it in a roundabout way. All of our children are very into Harry Potter, both the book series and movies, so we took them to the Wizarding World last summer. We found that this particular series was one of a only a few series that our entire household, age 6 - 34, all enjoy so we began going through it in depth together. I noticed a distinct lack of merch which led me to begin researching online. That's where I found that themed Lego sets were basically the only good HP toy made. I started acquiring them (EBay) and could not believe the expense of some. This of course led to more and more research and i just kind of got sucked in. 

We now have fifteen of the HP sets (we say they're mine to ensure they're well cared for, but I share ), one daughter collecting all the Disney sets (non-Duplo) and another daughter collecting the Elves. I've also ordered an Ewok Village and intend to get my husband one of the current 1000+ piece Star Wars set as part of his Father's Day gift, though I've not decided which quite yet (opinions welcome). 

I have a growing fascination with this whole idea of Lego investing which is what led me here. I have been reading in the forums and feel totally out of my depth and out of my league, but still find it all very interesting. With the amount of pleasure Lego has been bringing my family I'll likely continue just purchasing sets for personal use and relentlessly preaching box, instruction, and set care to the kids, but who knows? I can't say I haven't started eyeing sale ads and clearance sections at the local stores we frequent. . .

Welcome Arika.

The Porsche is what you'll probably want to get your husband...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ArikaD said:

Good morning everyone. 

We now have fifteen of the HP sets (we say they're mine to ensure they're well cared for, but I share ;)), one daughter collecting all the Disney sets (non-Duplo) and another daughter collecting the Elves. I've also ordered an Ewok Village and intend to get my husband one of the current 1000+ piece Star Wars set as part of his Father's Day gift, though I've not decided which quite yet (opinions welcome). 

I have a growing fascination with this whole idea of Lego investing which is what led me here. I have been reading in the forums and feel totally out of my depth and out of my league, but still find it all very interesting. With the amount of pleasure Lego has been bringing my family I'll likely continue just purchasing sets for personal use and relentlessly preaching box, instruction, and set care to the kids, but who knows? I can't say I haven't started eyeing sale ads and clearance sections at the local stores we frequent. . 

Welcome, @ArikaD. You've entered the rabbit hole now and there's no way turning back any longer. :) 

Regarding your intention to get your husband one of the current 1000+ piece Star Wars sets, take a look at this list:

http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Star-Wars/subtheme-Ultimate-Collector-Series

It's a drool worthy overview of awesome LEGO sets in the Ultimate Collector Series of Star Wars sets. A set on that list which is still currently for sale and is unanimously praised by all who build it is set 75060 Slave-1 http://brickset.com/sets/75060-1/Slave-I. It's a set that has excellent display qualities, is a massive eye-catcher, yet also has play-features with the included minifigs. Highly recommended as a Father's Day gift! :) 

• Like 1