• Ireland
    • Africa
    • Asia
    • Japan
    • Australia
    • New Zealand
    • Antarctica

On June 7, 2016 at 3:18 PM, Haay said:

Welcome, @ArikaD. You've entered the rabbit hole now and there's no way turning back any longer. :) 

Regarding your intention to get your husband one of the current 1000+ piece Star Wars sets, take a look at this list:

http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Star-Wars/subtheme-Ultimate-Collector-Series

It's a drool worthy overview of awesome LEGO sets in the Ultimate Collector Series of Star Wars sets. A set on that list which is still currently for sale and is unanimously praised by all who build it is set 75060 Slave-1 http://brickset.com/sets/75060-1/Slave-I. It's a set that has excellent display qualities, is a massive eye-catcher, yet also has play-features with the included minifigs. Highly recommended as a Father's Day gift! :) 

Thanks for your input - I went with the Slave 1! I actually ordered within hours of your posting, but also left for a family vacation at close to the same time so I've not had a chance to post. I stopped by a Lego store in Toronto today and the sales associate had nothing but praise for the set so I feel really good about it. 

As for the rabbit hole - I made a special trip to a mall in Toronto on a Saturday while on a family vacation just to go to a Lego store. . . I'm likely already beyond saving. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/3/2013 at 11:06 PM, idunno101 said:

15 and I'm starting to get less interested in Legos right now. I don't want to go into that dark time like everyone else does but it's pulling me in!

I started getting interested in electronics right about that age. Started Designing and building HiFi amp kits, and speaker systems. Also made a few robots (using raw electronics, not lego mindstorms). Back then Lego was still very expensive and I couldn't afford modding lego parts to fit electromotors or sensors. Mindstorms was non-existent, so I drifted off into electronic. Studied it at uni, and soon Lego was forgotten...

20 years later, I can afford Lego again. I am also not shy about cutting, modding and gluing lego parts to make more complex systems, robots, fit them with electronics, etc. etc. If you have an engineer's mind and love to create new things, grab an Arduino, a motor shield, a few electromotors or stepper motors and build your own complex mechanisms. That will transition you smoothly into your studies, uni, etc. If you are more creative and artistic, start using lego to express yourself creatively - build sculptures, etc. You will find that lego, especially with some ABS glue and hot-knife can be a very malleable medium >:)

Best Luck,

Jack

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just signed up, and am still learning my way around here. I buy, sell and collect LEGOs for profit as well as make MOCs, MODs and LEGO table top games too. I hope the admin will approve of the MODs and MOCs I submitted and will submit. I hope you mates will enjoy my posts. Have a good one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brickcrazyhouse

Continuing from the "what's your avatar" and  "user name" threads, I figured we find out what members do for a living.

I was a warehouse manager for a Red Bull distributor.  Recently stepped down to a lowly loader, but make more money and no stress. 

Also hoping someone here works in a lab that analyzes #1 samples.  If so, pm me got some ?'s

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I am from Czech Republic (EU), 28, working as financial analyst / private equity manager.

I always love lego when I was young and I returned to it when adult for Castles sets I could never get due to brutal pricexsalary ratio in ppost soviet countries like mine during 90s. However as I am also huge fan of fantasy/sci-fi, I started collecting LotR and Hobbit and since than, it spreaded to Star Wars, Pirates and other themes.

From collecting is just a slight step to investing, so I am joining the club.

Hello everyone! Just joined up to learn more about the current state of Lego. Have been out of it for a long time, but now have some disposable income for nice things :)

Started earlier this year with the Firehouse HQ, but not yet enough time to finish. And now I have to keep my girls from seeing the Disney Castle...

• 1 month later...