79004 - Barrel Escape

I bought one for full retail at the Lego store a while back. I'm not sure about how much profits this set will make. It is a nice set but the two elves in it doesn't have a major role in the movie. They are only shown for about 30 seconds. Bilbo is a common character and wont help improve the value by that much. The two dwarves can make this set go up in value since it seems like they are exclusive so far. Gloin being Gimli's (the main drarve in the Lord of the Rings) dad will definitely make this set more popular. This set is also one of the most memorable scenes of the second movie.

Just remember that TRU offloaded a bunch for an avg of $19 a piece just a month ago in the rapid fire buying on ebay.

I'm sure many of you have hoarded at least ten on that buying binge. I picked up 28 of these on that one night. Offloading this at $30 is a piece of cake but at $40 is pushing it. Not sure if I want to touch this at $27. IF they can offload it for $19 each, they can do it again.

It will probably be an easy $75 set a year after retirement.  My 2 cents...

i hope not, I offloaded 15 of my sets and left with a bit more than 10 sets. I'll pull the plug on selling these now.

Supraboy, are you saying you DO NOT want to sell those remaining 10 sets for $75 each down the line ???  Why on earth not ?

Supraboy, are you saying you DO NOT want to sell those remaining 10 sets for $75 each down the line ???  Why on earth not ?

I don't know what I hope now. I sold many of my sets in between the $35-$40 range in the past 2 weeks. If only I knew it may go to $75, maybe I should get them all back. :) Oh well, can't win them all.

I don't know what I hope now. I sold many of my sets in between the $35-$40 range in the past 2 weeks. If only I knew it may go to $75, maybe I should get them all back. :) Oh well, can't win them all.

You have awhile before $75, and it's still available if you're really hot on this set.  I would keep a few stashed away, and sell the rest.

You have awhile before $75, and it's still available if you're really hot on this set.  I would keep a few stashed away, and sell the rest.

Good point. I'm not going to offload anymore and wait for the next round by TRU of unload, IF that happens. I doubt we'll see this at $19.25 again but I'm hopeful.

I'm holding out to ensure $30 - $40 profit on each sale.  I'm not going to waste my time making $5 - $7 on each one right now.  I think I only had 4 before the $19 sale and I bought 12 more then, so I'm not into it that deep.

Personally, I think this set was one of the best looking sets (and most fun) from the original Hobbit line. There's still one more movie to go, it's a tried and true Theme, and I even think the $40 MSRP on this set was pretty good for what you get in the package. 

There is no chance this set doesn't end up selling for at least $60 next Christmas, and quite honestly, I think Exciter is right on. Seeing this at $75-$80 I don't think will be hard at all.

The profit on those 15 has already been made.  Nothing else to do but to look forward :)  He realized this on subsequent responses

I realized this and it's too bad. If I would've waited another 6 more months, I would've increased my gains. In the meantime, the only hope is to get more at 19.25 when TRU makes another mistake. :)

I realized this and it's too bad. If I would've waited another 6 more months, I would've increased my gains. In the meantime, the only hope is to get more at 19.25 when TRU makes another mistake. :)

I think this can be said for just about any set after it retires.  If what works for you is to flip quickly and make a few bucks now over more later, that's nothing to feel bad about.  Anything that increases your capital and buying power is a good thing, but in my mind, doing a ton of legwork for $5-10 isn't worth it.  To others, it's a lot of fun and why they love flipping.