Craigslist war stories

tonysbricks

19 hours ago, minicoopers11 said:

Credit card fraud is one option. I had this problem with Denny's gift card once. Thankfully Cardpool (who I bought the gc from) was quick to refund me after verifying the problem.

The problem here, I'm guessing (due to the odd gift card amounts), is return fraud. Either buying items for less at other places and returning them at TRU for more store credit or stealing and returning for store credit.

You bought a gift card to Dennys? On Purpose?

Full disclosure, The only place my grandparents would every go to eat out was Dennys, eaten there more times than I care to remember. I once got busted adding $10 to the $0.75 tip that my grandmother left to a waitress.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Migration said:

You bought a gift card to Dennys? On Purpose?

Full disclosure, The only place my grandparents would every go to eat out was Dennys, eaten there more times than I care to remember. I once got busted adding $10 to the $0.75 tip that my grandmother left to a waitress.

I prefer Denny's over IHop any day.  All we have is Bob Evans.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So I have a UCS Tie on CL for $195. I've gotten offers of $100 and $150, but yesterday took the cake, $50. By text, from a guy in Orlando.  When I asked if he was joking he said he valued at $0.10/brick, then divided by three to start negotiation. 25% of asking price! Who the F starts there? I hope that wasn't you @donbee.

Edited by TigerEyez

5 minutes ago, TigerEyez said:

So I have a UCS Tie on CL for $195. I've gotten offers of $100 and $150, but yesterday took the cake, $50. By text, from a guy in Orlando.  When I asked if he was joking he said he valued at $0.10, then divided by three to start negotiation. 25% of asking price! Who the F starts there? I hope that wasn't you @donbee.

So you counteroffered at $190 ?

1 minute ago, TigerEyez said:

Why "yikes"?  It's $200 plus tax from SAH.  I got it for $150 from Walmart, if I sell it now for $45 profit then cool, if not I hold it until after EOL when the value goes up. 

Like you said it's not retired, people will look for upcoming discounts.  Also there is double VIP points right now for SAH.

1 minute ago, Jman444 said:

Like you said it's not retired, people will look for upcoming discounts.  Also there is double VIP points right now for SAH.

That's why it's on Craigslist and not on BL or BP Classifieds. On CL I'm looking for a local end-user, not an investor. Your average person doesn't know that VIP points exist, let alone when they are double. Like I said I'm fine with holding the set for the long run, but I'll take a nice profit in the short term to essentially make the one I bought for myself half off.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TigerEyez said:

That's why it's on Craigslist and not on BL or BP Classifieds. On CL I'm looking for a local end-user, not an investor. Your average person doesn't know that VIP points exist, let alone when they are double. Like I said I'm fine with holding the set for the long run, but I'll take a nice profit in the short term to essentially make the one I bought for myself half off.

Then you are probably better off holding on to it.  I don't know many people that blindly spend $200 on a Lego set without at least googling its retail price.

2 hours ago, TigerEyez said:

Why "yikes"?  It's $200 plus tax from SAH.  I got it for $150 from Walmart, if I sell it now for $45 profit then cool, if not I hold it until after EOL when the value goes up. 

Yes I got one from amazon couple months ago when it was on sale for 140.00. Not bad at all. We'll do well after retirement. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

All he needs is one, and they don't even have to know you ;)

No need for complaints about low ball offers then since they are expected when you are fishing for the "one",  we all get them ;)

Edited by Jman444
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Why?

Because he basically told people how great the collection was a dozen times, how great he was at amassing said collection, how great he was for selling it at such a bargain and how great he'd be for renting a uhaul and delivering it (wtf?)...

Then he proceeded to tell everyone if you want to pay a premium for it, buy it now... otherwise I'll eventually get desperate to sell it and either drop the price or split it into smaller parts saving you a whole lot of work estimating the value for yourself or finding the parts you want.

Oh and he knows all about selling LEGo so he's doing you a favor by setting the price based only on part of the collection (yeah right).

Shut up and post the facts. Opinions are not needed in a CL ad.
  • Like 3