Craigslist war stories

tonysbricks

1. What lego set was "mike" talking about it? The death star?

The guy(mike) shouldn't even be complaining! We're the ones that take all the risks and hold on to sets for years not knowing if they'll go up in value. The ones that have to store it, list it, ship it. All he has to do is go on ebay, search for what he wants and click checkout! 

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

Posted today:

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/tag/6653741866.html

I took the bait and emailed, fully expecting this to be shady.

This was the reply to my email:

Text
Or
Call.

(502)  461   -  2086

Yup, I'm going scam.  Any takers on calling?

Mpls craigslist is my stomping ground.  They def don’t have a local number.

34 minutes ago, rpaulson7 said:

Posted today:

Text
Or
Call.

(502)  461   -  2086

SCAM. Same listing in Houston. Waste of time.

29 minutes ago, mizeur said:

If you're concerned about giving out your cell, set up a Google Voice number.

That's a smart idea.

On 7/26/2018 at 9:27 AM, rpaulson7 said:

Posted today:

Text
Or
Call.

(502)  461   -  2086

Same ad and same response for me in New England

https://hartford.craigslist.org/tag/d/lego-sets-new-city-and-more/6653704481.html

Screen Shot 2018-07-27 at 11.53.22 AM.png

• 4 weeks later...

I am trying to sell a new 70657 Ninjago City Docks for below RRP on CL and someone named Hassan Ali wants me to ship to Michigan. Havent asked too many questions but immediately it already seems fishy as I am selling out of N. Carolina. Anyways, if someone HERE is interested, please let me know.

6 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

I am trying to sell a new 70657 Ninjago City Docks for below RRP on CL and someone named Hassan Ali wants me to ship to Michigan. Havent asked too many questions but immediately it already seems fishy as I am selling out of N. Carolina. Anyways, if someone HERE is interested, please let me know.

YMMV but I've had some success directing buyers to BrickLink, BrickOwl, or ebay with a price adjusted for the fees and shipping. Either they're willing to pay a premium over the CL price and use a payment method that gives you some fraud protection or it's not worth the sale.

Edited by mizeur
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Tell me if I'm setting myself up to be scammed in any manner.

Buyer wants to purchase a large Lego set off CL and have it shipped.

After a phone conversation, I say the only way I'll do it is Paypal Friends and Family. He'll have to trust me on the shipment.

He could be screwed if I didn't ship. Is there any way I can be screwed in this transaction?

3 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

After a phone conversation, I say the only way I'll do it is Paypal Friends and Family. He'll have to trust me on the shipment.

He could be screwed if I didn't ship. Is there any way I can be screwed in this transaction?

It definitely opens you up for some trouble......I wouldn't do this personally. If it was me, I would enforce that it's paid "goods and services", and offer to cover the 3% fee. So basically discount your agreed upon price by 3%, and sell it via Goods and Services. If the buyer balks, it's a strong sign of something fishy (there would be no downside to this for them). 

2 minutes ago, thegooch49 said:

It definitely opens you up for some trouble......I wouldn't do this personally. If it was me, I would enforce that it's paid "goods and services", and offer to cover the 3% fee. So basically discount your agreed upon price by 3%, and sell it via Goods and Services. If the buyer balks, it's a strong sign of something fishy (there would be no downside to this for them). 

Why not put it on BL or some website and have them purchase via the site.  6% fee and some protection is better than trusting anyone on CL and shipping.

7 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

I think buyer can file a chargeback claiming his cc was stolen despite which service you picked. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thegooch49 said:

Conversely, if I was a buyer and a seller said they would only accept F&F, I would assume they were dodgy and not wish to continue with the purchase.

• Like 1

Just now, Captain_chaos said:

Conversely, if I was a buyer and a seller said they would only accept F&F, I would assume they were dodgy and not wish to continue with the purchase.

I agree, we are saying the same thing here. If either party wants Goods and Services, and is willing to cover the 3%, it's a win for everybody. 

2 minutes ago, thegooch49 said:

I agree, we are saying the same thing here. If either party wants Goods and Services, and is willing to cover the 3%, it's a win for everybody. 

It's not about the 3%. It's the fact he has an easy dispute with Paypal that I would lose, if he was intent on scamming me.

Nevermind, he finally sent me the address and I'm not doing it. There is something not right about it, for sure.

Guest TabbyBoy

3%? It's 3.4% + 20p in the UK to accept PayPal which is why I try to encourage credit cards. The good thing about eBay is that I have the scammer's buyer's address, yet they don't have mine as my returns address is a company with on-site security.

I sold a set today on eBay for £120 and the buyer didn't hesitate to send me proof of address, it was a gas bill which I accepted. It's a shame that few people can be trusted these days. Why don't these F... ing scammers just get of their fat arses and get a job?!

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Captain_chaos said:

Could very well be legit. Same bedding for all 3, and what scammer would photoshop in a bashed box if they had the choice?

I thought the same. Hoping to hear back but I was probably too late.

We got 6 inches of snow here today, maybe someone took the time to dig these out while snowed in.