Craigslist war stories

tonysbricks

Yeah, most sales completely fall through because you are dealing with a whole different level of fruitcake on CL.  That said, every once in a while, you get a genuine Lego enthusiast coming out of dark ages.  I recently sold a 10240 X-Wing, 10236 Ewok Village, 75059 Sandcrawler bundle on there for $850 cash.  Nice guy, was wanting to get go back and get all the UCS sets he missed out on.  I was happy to move 3 large sets out of my basement.

• Like 1

Definitely have to take the good with the bad.  I've made plenty of sales and purchases just fine.  And then of course there's the people that stop emailing back, and worse are the ones who don't show up to a meeting point. 

I've heard comments that CL usage may be dwindling.  Seems I find more crazy people on Letgo and OfferUp nowadays.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

OfferUp, lady is selling a 70620 Ninjago City, posted about 15 hours ago.  Tag on the ad says selling for $250, description says $240.  A bit high for me, so I send a note saying if she doesn't get a buyer that that price, I'll throw down a standing offer of $200.  Not long after, she messages to accept the $200 offer - I was surprised, figured she'd wait a few days on $240.  Get to talking about where to meet up, we agree on 230pm today.  Then she says "I have two of these by the way."  Ooooohhh, OK, I see now - a red flag that is.  Look closer at the photo, it's in the back of a car, you can see the 2nd one behind it, and also a third large set but cannot see the set number. 

So I ask her how she got two and now selling them so cheap.  She says her sister bought them for her kids, can't find the receipt to return them, now her sisters car is broke down, needs the money to fix it, and she's stuck in Minneapolis with 5 kids until she can fix the car.  OK I tell her, but too many red flags for me, I'm deciding not to buy. 

Her: "you have a lot of Lego sets for sale on your OfferUp also." 

Me: "yes, I run a side business of buying and selling, and I have receipts for all 250+ Lego sets I own." 

Her: "well I don't appreciate you judging me and my sister." 

Me: "Fair enough, but I'm not buying this today.  Good luck"

I'm actually building Ninjago City with my kids right now, and it's AWESOME.  I'd love to have 2 of these on the shelf at 33% off, but can't support their lifestyle.  I'm betting if I called the Lego Store at Mall of America, they'd be two short in the last few days.  I think that's the only store in Minneapolis that would carry this set.

She now has it listed as "Sold" and I reported it as "I think it's stolen."

Also, during this process, for whatever reason, she changed her profile picture in OfferUp.  It went from a "trashy tatted girl" theme to a "trashy tatted girl with infant" theme.

Be careful (and ethical) out there.

Edited by rpaulson7
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

• 1 year later...