Craigslist war stories

tonysbricks

Ooh, was this in Vancouver? Saw the ad and the guy said I could come pick up but guess you beat me to it!

Yes it was, I was super lucky that I was first. I replied within 10 minutes of the ad going up. I just finished sorting, a lot of key mini figs are there but it looks like all the sets are missing at least 1/2 or more so I won't be able to rebuild any sets. That's ok though I'm happy to add a few older mini figs to my collection :)

Yes it was, I was super lucky that I was first. I replied within 10 minutes of the ad going up. I just finished sorting, a lot of key mini figs are there but it looks like all the sets are missing at least 1/2 or more so I won't be able to rebuild any sets. That's ok though I'm happy to add a few older mini figs to my collection :)

Nice snag! I check the lower mainland CL's daily and didn't even see it.

I've had three random drug tests so far this year for work, I'd be too afraid of a contact high to mess with that lot!

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpickeraaaaaaaswssssswssa

as far as i know drug testing only applies to 'mericans because we like to get our as****s searched preaching how free US is. secondly you wont test positive after sitting in a room with bunch of stoners let alone touching anything smelling of weed smoke.

I'm a commercial boat captain, so I have to be tested as part of my license.

the funny thing is that youre high for a few hours (where it affects your motor skills and judgement) but you can test positive for up to a month, where is the logic in that?

• 2 weeks later...

So I went over the deep end today and bought three bins from a CL ad near Philly.  To date I've been a lurker on here, and dabbled a little in buying & sorting LEGO  with a couple of small lots in the $45 or lower range so far.  This popped up last night, and I decided to take the plunge:

I paid $300 and the gross weight (including the bins & Mega Block content) is 86 Lbs.   There's a decent amount of Mega Blocks, hopefully under 25% by the time I sort it all out.

So Far I can tell there is the City Freight ship, a Technic Crane, and at least one big airplane.  I also saw some of what appears to be the Black Pearl in there as well.

LEGOScore-8-15-141_zpsafc7e3fe.jpg

LEGOScore-8-15-143_zps05da994f.jpg

LEGOScore-8-15-142_zps609f510a.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So I figure I'd post an update to my earlier haul shown above.    I did a "Round 1" sort through it, where I generally group easily identified themes, brick types, and pulling Minifigs.

I think I made out pretty good on Minifigs alone.   Plenty of StarWars stuff (a lot that I have to lookup & identify).   I figure I'll find a lot of individual arms & accessories as I get down to the bottom of the bins...

Here's a few pictures of the highlights:

It's a shame the guys at the bottom right have red marker on them:

Minifigs_zps59f41311.jpg

Minifigs3_zps0bdc3595.jpg

I think these are all from the Black Pearl set (not sure about guy on the left):

Minifigs2_zpseed4d91b.jpg

Incomplete (Good for parts):

Minifigs5_zps3131e81e.jpg

And noteworthy (in my opinion) accessories:

Minifigs4_zps148c451c.jpg

• Like 1

1 of the minifigs and two of the hair/head toppers you have in the second pic belong in the star wars stuff.....lower right hand corner.....

Thanks for the heads up!  I was just browsing through the Clone Wars Minifig's on BL and found them.

Guy on the left with the Potc figs, is a CMF Series 6: Highland Battler.

Getting a black pearl out of the lot is a result. Hope it

• 2 weeks later...

i've been seeing this ad posted alot on ohio area craigslist, 

http://youngstown.craigslist.org/tls/4650746651.html

they always have conveniently just moved, and never want to provide address for in person purchase, 

allegedly they are out of cincinatti , definitely too good to be true, 

I texted this guy a few times, mostly just to mess with him.  He was all over the place and you couldn't get him to commit to anything.  We never talked price and he did say you could send payment over Paypal.  I always insisted I'd want to meet him somewhere and he wouldn't commit to that.

This ad has been out there for at least a year, so it's hard to tell how many people they've scammed.

i've been seeing this ad posted alot on ohio area craigslist,

http://youngstown.craigslist.org/tls/4650746651.html

they always have conveniently just moved, and never want to provide address for in person purchase,

allegedly they are out of cincinatti , definitely too good to be true,

I've reported this one and a few similar adds several times over the last couple of years. I hate to think how many people have fallen for this. One of the dead give aways on this one are the pictures. Do a google image search on them and they are from all over the place.

"Joe Bass" and his ilk used to scam people on new, in-box legos, then they moved to highly sought after used sets with pictures they found online such as Cafe Corner or Green Grocer. 

Now they are posting mixed lots to try to fish for Paypal payments.

I don't know where they get the photos, Ebay I guess. 

Most likely Joe Bass ,but with all the exposure from us at bricklink and really can't get into details about the cell phones tracking,or the dish live show or shutting down the computers etc that was used in our research and data pulled.

I think with the FB,Flickr,and other sites like RS,MegoMuseum,Eurobricks and LUGNET he or they are out of commission.

Not a smart scammer and low end money so pretty much the rover or beast is down.

The lousy part of all this was that it will give ideas to others who want to try it and are doing it right now,but our Lego community is tight and we are smarter of course

and realize that besides we can use Wordpress so no one catches on or codes here or even super secret and hide the threads he or any else will not catch on.

Plus we tagged photos so our community is safe just have to work on the other one that has not been around so long.

So to any scammers out there we at the Lego community will track your phone,get into your hard drive,even live shows so beware and use wordpress and links to YouTube,FB and even get into your email to pull and tag photos so watch out for you will not be able to catch on.

Right Joe I am sure you have the same computer hard drives and phone because you are not smarter and even the hard drive to the PS3 or dish.

Haha we won