LEGO LOTR wave 2 discussion

First I wanted to put in in line 1 predictions but i believe that line 2 discussion deserves a special topic for discussion

Below I will list the sets and prices for LOTR line 2 coming out in June(?)

79005 The Wizard Battle

SRP: $12.99

Pieces: 113

Everyone will buy this set, or multiple so I do not see much use for it in the aftermarket, it looks more iconic and greater use for playset than Gandalf Arrives, but worse for display than a beautifully designed wagon from Gandalf.

79006 The Council of Elrond

SRP: $29.99

Pieces: 243

I find this set a potential sleeper, allthough many will buy it, for the special colors of parts, but I think this has huge potential, I really dislike the fact only 3 chairs are designed for the council that like 15 participate, new printings and exclusives of Arwen and Elrond will boost the price easily.

79007 Battle at the Black Gate

SRP: $59.99

Pieces: 656

Sucks that it only has 1 tower, i mean come on TLG, way to make us buy two, I predict alot of figures for resale of people who will have double everything (Gandalf, Saurons tongue, Aragorn)

79008 Pirate Ship Ambush

SRP: $99.99

Pieces: 756

Apperently proclaimed winner already, (it is a Pirate ship WITHOUT pirates...) is the largest**(Orthanc is UCS?) set of the line, with nearly half less pieces than Helm's Deep from 1st line, ships always did well for LEGO investing, despite this not being a classic Pirate ship of old, it still is Pirate, and it might bring some Pirate fans to the theme.

You can view detailed description here: http://animatostudios.blogspot.com/2013/02/2013-lego-lord-of-rings-set-pictures.html

*** I am not sure I am allowed to post links to such webpages if not mod feel free to edit it:

There is also a set with SRP around 140$ coming out named The Tower of Orthanc.

Personally I am rather disappointed with this 2nd line of products/sets we are getting especially Elrond's council and Pirate ship where they tried to put BOTH scenes (ghosts attacking ship full of pirates(ONE) and boarding near Minas Tirith. I think they should put 5 pirates Aragorn and 3 undead instead of another Gimli and Legolas (ok Legolas I can eat up since it is only second time)

I was hoping for something from Gondor soldiers, or ithilien rangers to expand my collection, but with those 4 sets, I only have hopes left for Orthanc, and might just only buy 2x Elrond's council for investment.

Tower of Orthanc is going to make people forget about the other lackluster sets. I will get them all I am sure, but none of them really jump out at me. The Corsair is really cool, but it's a ship that gets about 4 seconds of play unless you have the extended edition. Getting the Peter Jackson figure is pretty cool though.

I find the LOTR theme perplexing. I like a lot of sets, but don't love any. I think LEGO has cheesed out on these sets so far. I expect more.

Totally agree. The sky is the limit...ents and elf cities and tons of other stuff. What about the ship that takes the elves west to heaven?

I think all of the sets could have had more in them, but then we probably say that about nearly every Lego set created. I like all of the sets, but at this stage only the Black Gate set is a must have for me. I will buy them all eventually. I would have preferred a battle troll instead of an eagle, but we can't have everything. From what I have read on forums, ship enthusiasts seem very positive on the Pirate Ship Ambush set, so we shall wait and see how that goes.

Of the 4 confirmed, Pirate Ship and Black Gate look sure winners, both for me as a collector and for an investment. The 2 smaller sets look ok and will mainly be mainly there for the minifigs. Orthanc UCS - absolutely pumped about that one!

Of the 4 confirmed, Pirate Ship and Black Gate look sure winners, both for me as a collector and for an investment. The 2 smaller sets look ok and will mainly be mainly there for the minifigs. Orthanc UCS - absolutely pumped about that one!

I like both the Pirate ship and the Black Gate a lot, winners IMO as well. As Huskers already said above, the Tower of Orthanc will make collectors forget all about any average to boring sets that are currently in existence.

I also think that unless LEGO priced all the LOTR sets $100 + they couldn't have made them any better. Yes you would have the money to buy them but a 10 year old who loves them might never be able to get them.

Sory but 2-3 more figures for Pirate ship ambush and Battle at Black Gates would not make price dramatically increase.

I keep getting feelings that all these sets should have 2-3 figures more everytime.

I mean battle at the black gates is useleess in terms of soldier to hero ratio. Even if youd be willing to buy 10 for army buildign what would you get? 10x Aragorn, 10x Gandalf, 10x Saurons mouth, and yes 20 mordor orcs... where are the other troops!!!!!!

thats a joke... Ship is only slightly better.