Star Wars: Rebels

Darth Lego

As an investor, I try to follow the rule: "Original Trilogy, or forget it."  But as a dad, these new sets look interesting.  I've seen some wide criticsim of this new addition to the "expanded universe" lately.  Adult fans hate that Disney is going to make a "kiddie-show" out of their religion.  My 6-yr-old (and I) love the six movies.  We love the Lego Yoda Chronicles.  We watch the animated Clone Wars, but many episodes are just boring - too much politics and chit-chat, not enough monsters and light sabre fights.

So now we're seeing the 3 to 5 minute trailers for the Rebels series coming out, and we can't wait to see the show.  The character Zeb is very likeable, and pounds on stormtroopers. The ship looks cool. The new astro-mech "Chopper" seems to have more personality than R2-D2.  I think the show could be a big hit with kids. 

I was lucky enough to find a smashed-box 75053 Ghost at my Toys R Us - got it for about US$35 after coupons (my first ever real bargain).  My son is going to love it.  But I'm looking for another at a discount - just to have a mint "first-of-series" set to hang on to.  If the show takes off, it might be worth something some day.  And if they're scarce at Christmas... that's fine too.

• Like 2

As an investor, I try to follow the rule: "Original Trilogy, or forget it."  But as a dad, these new sets look interesting.  I've seen some wide criticsim of this new addition to the "expanded universe" lately.  Adult fans hate that Disney is going to make a "kiddie-show" out of their religion.  My 6-yr-old (and I) love the six movies.  We love the Lego Yoda Chronicles.  We watch the animated Clone Wars, but many episodes are just boring - too much politics and chit-chat, not enough monsters and light sabre fights.

So now we're seeing the 3 to 5 minute trailers for the Rebels series coming out, and we can't wait to see the show.  The character Zeb is very likeable, and pounds on stormtroopers. The ship looks cool. The new astro-mech "Chopper" seems to have more personality than R2-D2.  I think the show could be a big hit with kids. 

I was lucky enough to find a smashed-box 75053 Ghost at my Toys R Us - got it for about US$35 after coupons (my first ever real bargain).  My son is going to love it.  But I'm looking for another at a discount - just to have a mint "first-of-series" set to hang on to.  If the show takes off, it might be worth something some day.  And if they're scarce at Christmas... that's fine too.

I actually like most of the animated SW series, I think the storylines are pretty well written and interesting.  One of the parts I enjoy the most about the prequel trilogy is the political intrigue, so I was happy that they included a lot of that aspect of the story in the 2008 clone wars series.  I haven't watched Yoda chronicles yet but it's on my bucket list.  Rebels looks promising, we shall see what Disney does with it.

As for the sets, I picked up both the Phantom and Ghost sets at a pretty hefty discount, I mainly wanted the minifigs and was going to perhaps part out the ships.  I ended up building both of them and I was surprised that I liked them as much as I did.  Would have liked the Ghost to be a little bit bigger so that it had some interior space like the 7965 MF, but that would have obviously driven up the price.

For hard core collectors of the Rebels series may want to see this: 

http://www.hothbricks.com/2014/09/75053-the-ghost-versions-minifig-kanan-jarrus/

If you don't want to read it, basically the summer version of the mini figure with the pony tail, Kanan Jarus, will be switchers from brown to black hair to fit the more of the television show. 

So i'd say, if there is any concern about the rebel series, it is just the summer version on this set that may be interesting, otherwise, at the moment, nothing of much interest to me.

Edited by Mynatt

http://www.hothbricks.com/2014/09/75053-the-ghost-versions-minifig-kanan-jarrus/

If you don't want to read it, basically the summer version of the mini figure with the pony tail, Kanan Jarus, will be switchers from brown to black hair to fit the more of the television show. 

So i'd say, if there is any concern about the rebel series, it is just the summer version on this set that may be interesting, otherwise, at the moment, nothing of much interest to me.

Thanks for letting me know.

I am a rebels nut.

I know the Ghost & Phantom may not be the greatest set but I love them, the series and all the stuff about it (books, toys, etc).

I got to spend a day as Steve Blum's assistant at a comic con, so I am stoked.

Go Rebels!

• Like 1

Well my Ghost set has Kanan with the wrong black hair.  Collector's Edition I guess.  I'll buy the brown and keep it boxed too and maybe another black.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll admit... I'm really hung up on this black hair / brown hair thing.  Just picked up the combo pack 66512 at TRU because Kanan had black hair. The separate packs (75053 alone) has brown hair, but the combo packs have black.

basically the summer version of the mini figure with the pony tail, Kanan Jarus, will be switchers from brown to black hair to fit the more of the television show.

Last time I checked, my Walmart has the original black hair features whereas Target is selling the updated brown one. So funny going from one store then the next close by with essentially the same set yet such a tiny change barely noticeable.

Of course, you know I'm looking forward to it.  I wonder about the stock on these items, too (75053 Ghost and 75048 Phantom)... I mean, it is in stock, on shelves everywhere: Lego, Target, WM, TRU and Amazon... it seems odd that ALL the retailers would carry this set (for months now) when the show isn't even on yet. But I guess that's the way modern marketing works... Star Wars + Disney + Lego + Christmas = a combination most retailers can't ignore.  If the show catches on, the stock in stores is going to start moving fast.

I'm thinking about picking up a couple, just in case. Right now prices are about as low as I've seen them.  So do you buy both? Sell them as a set? Or just stick with the larger one with 4 minifigs? The smaller looks like a box truck with no wheels to me. But probably anyone who is going to love the series (and buy the toys) is going to want both.  And buying now, you get the 6 main characters right up front (the good guys anyway).

Of course, you know I'm looking forward to it.  I wonder about the stock on these items, too (75053 Ghost and 75048 Phantom)... I mean, it is in stock, on shelves everywhere: Lego, Target, WM, TRU and Amazon... it seems odd that ALL the retailers would carry this set (for months now) when the show isn't even on yet. But I guess that's the way modern marketing works... Star Wars + Disney + Lego + Christmas = a combination most retailers can't ignore.  If the show catches on, the stock in stores is going to start moving fast.

I'm thinking about picking up a couple, just in case. Right now prices are about as low as I've seen them.  So do you buy both? Sell them as a set? Or just stick with the larger one with 4 minifigs? The smaller looks like a box truck with no wheels to me. But probably anyone who is going to love the series (and buy the toys) is going to want both.  And buying now, you get the 6 main characters right up front (the good guys anyway).

I bought a Ghost & Phantom, build it, love it, have all the books, have other Rebels Toys, my son and I have a great time with it, spent the day with Steve Blum (Zeb) as his assistant.  That all being said I have a hard time believing there is not warehouses full of these and that they will not run out.  A couple is fair to buy and hold but I am also nearing my spending cap for inventory and I think a TH beats this, not because of people wanting it but production levels.

In my mind you gotta buy both or the combo pack, as the main character is in the Phantom set...very shrewd, Lego.

And my hunches are often wrong but I think this will be huge and will lead to shortages.  Almost bought 4 of each from Boscovs, but my phone rang and I forgot about it.  That was the time to pounce.

Looking forward to the show, but my expectations are not too high. I suspected that Disney would want to keep it light (for the kids), and the creative team has already said as much. The whole family loved the Clone Wars series, and it definitely got pretty dark at times. I think many people saw the CW movie, and believed that was what the series was like. I wasn't too thrilled with the movie either, but the team kept pushing it further. It is still a shame that Disney had to pull the plug on it.