Ed Mack

57 members have voted

1. 1. How high can the Zombies 9765 Go?

• Its Done Growing
    • $200
    • $250
    • $300
    • Can't stop it, its growth is undead!

What you have to ask yourself is at what price point will people start investing or finding value in other sets? $150 can buy you a 2000 piece modular. $200 can buy you a kick butt Technic set, Haunted House plus another set, or Red 5 X-wing. $250 can buy you the Ewok Village. I know the set is somewhat rare, but how rare? 10,000 copies or 100,000 copies? With each passing new season of LEGO set releases, interest in older sets drops ever so slightly. Personally, I hope it hits $700, because I have 3, but I'm not counting on it.

Definitely true on potential buyers weighing out the costs. I get the whole zombie craze as it has been around since b-movie days but just how far can one stretch that really? Even the Minifigures Series 1 Zombie reached an average of $26 and is looking to up it to $28 with a few sales going for $30+ now but that is possibly more because stock is being nearly depleted entirely (until the rumored rerelease of said Series). I'd expect to see the same with this set. It may average at $180-200 for a while then go as high as $270-$300 and it's gone for good.

I guess I missed it, but where are the rumors coming from regarding rereleasing the early minifigure series'? That would not be cool as they made it clear at the beginning that the minifigures would never be seen in another set. Now if they plan on redoing them but changing colors and what not, then that's different.

What you have to ask yourself is at what price point will people start investing or finding value in other sets?  $150 can buy you a 2000 piece modular.  $200 can buy you a kick butt Technic set, Haunted House plus another set, or Red 5 X-wing.  $250 can buy you the Ewok Village.  I know the set is somewhat rare, but how rare?  10,000 copies or 100,000 copies?  With each passing new season of LEGO set releases, interest in older sets drops ever so slightly.  Personally, I hope it hits $700, because I have 3, but I'm not counting on it.

good point Ed.    with my last post, i was thinking about non-investing AFOL purchases.  hence, my predicted future growth.

I guess I missed it, but where are the rumors coming from regarding rereleasing the early minifigure series'? That would not be cool as they made it clear at the beginning that the minifigures would never be seen in another set. Now if they plan on redoing them but changing colors and what not, then that's different.

In the topic for the Minifigures Online game coming out next summer, there are two different news sources (Toy News and International Digital Times) basically saying Lego has plans to re-launch their existing Minifigures line where each new pack will contain the minifigure and a code to unlock said character in the game. Here are a couple of quotes from both articles.

When LEGO Minifigures Online goes live next summer, it will be joined by a new range of

Hmmm. That doesn't read as a rerelease of actual minifigures to me. It says all previous figures will be available for use in the game. The relaunch of the series doesn't mean redoing everything, it just means future series' will include a code, which is different than what they have been doing. I don't know one way or the other, but if that's the only info available so far, that doesn't sound like a rerelease to me.

Hmmm. That doesn't read as a rerelease of actual minifigures to me. It says all previous figures will be available for use in the game. The relaunch of the series doesn't mean redoing everything, it just means future series' will include a code, which is different than what they have been doing. I don't know one way or the other, but if that's the only info available so far, that doesn't sound like a rerelease to me.

I would hope not as well. that would kill the value of some of the series 1 and 2 figures I like the most

What you have to ask yourself is at what price point will people start investing or finding value in other sets?  $150 can buy you a 2000 piece modular.  $200 can buy you a kick butt Technic set, Haunted House plus another set, or Red 5 X-wing.  $250 can buy you the Ewok Village.  I know the set is somewhat rare, but how rare?  10,000 copies or 100,000 copies?  With each passing new season of LEGO set releases, interest in older sets drops ever so slightly.  Personally, I hope it hits $700, because I have 3, but I'm not counting on it.

I agree and this is what makes me wonder. At the same time - There are a lot of people who are only into this theme and they really have no alternate at all. So they may not be interested in the other lines or sets.

It may plateau, but it has sky-rocketed so ridiculously its hard to say. I am really interested to see what will happen when the whole theme goes and how it will affect this set.

I wasn't sure how the info sounded to me at first. I can't really see a whole rerelease of everything, and the one source did say "re-launch" not rerelease which can have a different meaning in business. The only thing giving some credibility is how Lego has rereleased certain characters in some sets like Cheerleader and Skater in a Brick Calendar, the Witch in the Halloween Accessory Pack, Hula Dancer, Surfer Dude, and Surfer Girl in the Beach Accessory Pack, and an upcoming City Advent Calender with Santa from Series 8. But again, that is but a few out of 100 something characters. I guess we won't know until later.

Looks like a few of us will agree on disagreeing.

I'm officially on the record (like people care -lol). The Zombies still has growth potential. $200 peak by Jan 2014 and $250 to $300 peak value by Jan 2015. My Jan 2015 prediction is only if the set isn't refreshed with a similar one.

I'm so confident that I just purchased 5 sealed sets for $112.50 each.

• Like 1

Looks like a few of us will agree on disagreeing.

I'm officially on the record (like people care -lol). The Zombies still has growth potential. $200 peak by Jan 2014 and $250 to $300 peak value by Jan 2015. My Jan 2015 prediction is only if the set isn't refreshed with a similar one.

I actually share your predictions of value but then again I am rather optimistic with many things. I also have a very difficult time seeing anything remotely like Monster Fighters in a long time if ever again. There is the Halloween Accessory Pack still currently available but that only has one zombie wielding a cellphone and attache case....I think he was an attorney in life.

I think The Zombies is a perfect example of investors buying from flippers. It's done.

This is an understandable feeling - but the counter argument is below:

You say this proves your point right?

However, look at the sold listings:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_from=R40&_nkw=lego+9465&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

You think investors are the ones that are getting in at $130, $140 up to $160 dollars? I feel like most of us are like Jason and we aren't getting in above $115. So this tells me people are still spending the money up that high.  If everything was in the lower range, I would maybe lean that way.