Ferrari Polybags

TheDarkness

So the Ferrari Racers polybag series is being released here in Australia at Shell Service stations. $6 if you purchase V-Power petrol, otherwise $8. I've had a look at the price guides and they don't really give a clear guide in that the polybags sold were earlier obviously when it was a new release. I am assuming as the F1 continues to tour worldwide, everyone will get a chance to pick these up. Now, I know nothing of polybags and how well they fare in the future though others swear by them. Do people think it will do well? Is it worth grabbing a few sets to stash away for further down the road? Or just pick and choose the individual cars and load up on them? Or avoid like the plague?

That's the thing, I don't know if it is something that will go from country to country as the F1 circus strolls through. It won't bother me though to throw them in a cupboard not to see the light of day for a few years, but there isn't much point if the value won't change on them.

This is very unlikely to show up in the US at gas stations or for retail purchase. You might randomly see this for purchase in one of the Ferrari gift shops such as in Las Vegas or Hawaii, or maybe at the new track in Austin. F1 just isn't as popular here as it is in other parts of the world. Even if this follows the F1 circuit and is available at the track during the race, you're still talking about a limited set of people that will be able to get it. I don't see the Shell stations in the US here doing a similar promotion. While not unheard of, I can't remember the last time I saw a gas station doing a giveaway like that. What we mostly see here in the US is some kind of points program that adds up over time to a discount on future purchases. IMO buying these is a no-brainer. It's low-cost and low-risk, and you're probably going to make significant money on them in the not-so-long-run. If I came upon a stash of them I'd buy them all.

This is very unlikely to show up in the US at gas stations or for retail purchase. You might randomly see this for purchase in one of the Ferrari gift shops such as in Las Vegas or Hawaii, or maybe at the new track in Austin. F1 just isn't as popular here as it is in other parts of the world.

IMO buying these is a no-brainer. It's low-cost and low-risk, and you're probably going to make significant money on them in the not-so-long-run. If I came upon a stash of them I'd buy them all.

Thanks for the advice :)

I like how they look, and you being able to get them in Australia is a good deal assuming the rest of the world knows what it is, but can't get it. When you sell it, make sure to do international shipping. Is this $6 Australian money or USD? Most polybags in the US are for around $3.99. 6 Australian dollars to USD is $6.22, but I am sure that there are many hard core Ferrari fans who would pay more than 10 Australian dollars (10.37 USD) for it. I would pick up at least 10...

Looks like the full set is selling for $55 + 9.99 shipping (wow!) on eBay at the moment: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lego-Ferrari-Shell-Set-of-6-Limited-Edition-30190-30195-/261181868577?pt=Building_Toys_US&hash=item3ccfa70a21 This was from a seller in the US...I'm betting this is from a guy who travels and happened to pick them up somewhere else. That's somewhere around 29% profit, give or take, if I did the math right, assuming that he bought these in the US at $6.22, which for those to cost $6.22 in the US at retail would be a bit extreme...maybe though.

And we do have that new raceway in Austin so we probably will see it make a limited run in the U.S. sometime..

If so that's where they'd be available. But honestly I think these would get lost in all of the hub-bub of race weekend and thousands of people buying t-shirts and shot glasses. Plus I don't see this as a pure-F1 play. Really only one of the cars and the truck are F1-related. There's lots of F1 people that aren't into Ferrari...

I'm going to check the Vegas Ferrari store in April...will report back.

I ended up picking up 3 of the 30190 sets and 3 of the 30194 to begin with. My wife asked me why I didn't take every single one off the shelf. She knows me too well! I did feel kindof bad though. I do live in a small town and didn't feel right just scalping the whole lot. I'll check back later in the week, and if they have a heap more then I will buy more. It is only supposed to be a maximum of 3 per day though.

• 4 weeks later...