CUUSOO value?

plasticbrix

What do Brickpicker members think of the CUUSOO sets and their potential value? They appear to be limited edition sets. The 2100 Shinkai 6500 Submarine and 21101 Hayabusa have appreciated nicely. What do you think of the Minecraft Micro World? I know they have stopped selling them in the US. Do you think LEGO will release more or stick to the 10,000 units?

Good question(s) and perhaps one which many of us deliberate over. CUUSOO sets are limited, giving the 'unoffical' Lego builder an opportuity to develop an idea (product) and see it marketed by Lego. I have no idea how much influence Lego may have on the finished saleable product, but I dare say quite a bit. Whilst we all are aware of the Lego CUUSOO site, many Lego fans are not. Afterall, when was the last time you saw a link or web address on the last page of a sets building instructions to this site? My own humble opinion is that Lego will only market an idea/set/game/wish once its true market value is researched and projected. Then, and only then, will the development and cost involved of bringing that set to market ever be realised. And it is up to you and me, and the subsequent market, to realise that value. I guess some will be wrong, and some will be right. Probably with a greater number of those sets in the 'right' camp. It is not in any company's best interests to release items or sets that do not offer something to someone. Lego however do not necessarily need to make a 'profit' from the CUUSOO range - something to discuss perhaps elsewhere and at another time. I wish I had obtained the sets you specifically mention. Good sets. Very much worth the money that one might expend on such. You want to do a deal? I will support the CUUSOO sets and spend as I see something that takes my fancy. Whilst all Lego offers a certain desirability, just because we see it as a more-limited-than-the-average-limited-set does not necessarily mean I should spend my cash on it. Nor should another member of the public spend their money on it in 5 or 10 years time - something that we are relying on. I think that we all should exercise such a viewpoint when choosing our sets. CUUSOO sets do mean that they are exclusive, not necessarily valuable. That notion might just open up a whole new world on the subject of CUUSOO.... As for the Minecraft set you mention, go for it. I doubt you'll lose out. CUUSOO do appreciate and as you note, very nicely they appreciate indeed. I'd like to be able to balance my investment/collection between all the various Lego branches - too many eggs in one basket so to speak. CUUSOO will have to be one of the areas that I recognise and include within my brickfolio.

@ BuildIT...Excellent post. For those of you who are not familiar with the LEGO CUUSOO Program, it is a contest run by LEGO that enables a LEGO builder to design a MOC that will be voted on by the other LEGO fans. If a design receives 10,000 votes, it will be presented to LEGO itself to have their staff vote on possibly making it into an actual LEGO set. The creator of the approved set has the ability to receive a portion of the profits.

Back on topic...I love CUUSOO sets. I own all three and I am looking forward to buying the new ones when released. They are quite interesting and unique and although they won't make you rich, they will diversify your collection. The sets come in nice little packages and display well. If you have the opportunity to pick one, two or all three up...I would highly recommend buying them.

Given that prices are moving in the Minecraft field, I have without any further ado, bought one of these sets - I guess it is time to diversify and allow my fledgling Lego investment collection to spread its wings. Other members may wish to check out some of the Minecraft sets on offer at the UK ebay. Some are going for GBP50 ('buy it now') - a reasonable price if you can get mail into the US (etc) fairly cheaply. I would include the link, but presently I'm unsure whether my link may end up at some obscure site offering road aggregate or similar. Note to self - improve on blog/website abilities....it's not ALL about Lego!

Given that prices are moving in the Minecraft field, I have without any further ado, bought one of these sets - I guess it is time to diversify and allow my fledgling Lego investment collection to spread its wings. Other members may wish to check out some of the Minecraft sets on offer at the UK ebay. Some are going for GBP50 ('buy it now') - a reasonable price if you can get mail into the US (etc) fairly cheaply. I would include the link, but presently I'm unsure whether my link may end up at some obscure site offering road aggregate or similar. Note to self - improve on blog/website abilities....it's not ALL about Lego!

Yes, buying one from the UK would be the best deal for this set, unless of course, LEGO decides to re-release this set here in the US.

• 2 weeks later...

Now the Minecraft is available again at LEGO.com, the value on eBay should drop, but as of July 13th buyers are still paying 60-90 for this set. Weird. People must be lazy, because checking the source would be a 3 second $20-$30 savings for most. Wonder how long it will take for the value of this set to come down? Any thoughts?

Now the Minecraft is available again at LEGO.com, the value on eBay should drop, but as of July 13th buyers are still paying 60-90 for this set. Weird. People must be lazy, because checking the source would be a 3 second $20-$30 savings for most.

Wonder how long it will take for the value of this set to come down?

Any thoughts?

Depends on how long LEGO has it for sale on their site. People are lazy, I agree, that's why Brickpicker was created...LOL. I think you will see a definite decrease in the short term...long term, I like these specialty sets and their potential. I like the 21101 Hayabusa even more. I'm not going to buy ten of them, but a couple could be a smart investment.

• 4 weeks later...