8110 - Mercedes-Benz Unimog U 400

glucapg

Well... there is nothing wrong with taking a gear back on legovesting. I am doing it as well. Be more strict on what you buy, how many you buy and at what price. What is really important is that your business needs to keep rolling. If you sell poorly for a period it is wise to adjust your buying habits accordingly.

I will avoid the Technic theme from now on. Cause although I made money on my Technic sets. It was not what I expected when I bought them. So it is better to invest in better performing sets or not invest at all and take a pause.  

I don't think there is significant concern yet on lego retired set market. There will always be sets that rises slowly in value, and sets that don't perform as well as the top performers like townhall and SSD. Hell even now people are complaining about townhall "poor" performance? This set is not even retired for a year and is already up more than 150% ! How many sets in the past can perform as such?

8110 is not doing as well likely because of the new aroc 42034 which has improved pneumatics and is even more badass than 8110 with double the number of wheels. People would buy 42034, 42009 and 42030 over 8110. Even 9398 is quite fun to play with compared with 8110. There is little room left for 8110.

• 3 months later...

Why is anybody holding on to Unimogs? Market so stagnant these should be gone from people's piles by now, surely? Personally I see no point in keeping something at this point in the cycle. Your money will be more likely to increase if you cash in and move on IMHO.

Sometimes it's psychologically hard to sell if the set doesn't reach the level you planned to sell at, decided at the point of purchase, but some never will. No point collecting 1% gains on $x00 invested when you could be making more. Again, IMHO

2 hours ago, Seal Cutter said:

Why is anybody holding on to Unimogs? Market so stagnant these should be gone from people's piles by now, surely? Personally I see no point in keeping something at this point in the cycle. Your money will be more likely to increase if you cash in and move on IMHO.

Sometimes it's psychologically hard to sell if the set doesn't reach the level you planned to sell at, decided at the point of purchase, but some never will. No point collecting 1% gains on $x00 invested when you could be making more. Again, IMHO

Your opinion lacks the point of sale.  Lots are attempting to sell, me included, few people are buying.  One cannot sell what others are not buying.  Also why chase price down unless one needs the money.  Also at the time this was the largest technic set ever.  Due to the counter party risk of lego I have learned some valuable lessons with this game.  I also will not be investing in lego technic except maybe the new Porsche coming out and the 24 hours racer.  Lego is in the game of repeats and remakes with bigger and better.  This is hitting the secondary market.  So one just waits because I a have also learned that some sets all the sudden catch a serious bid that no one was expecting.

15 minutes ago, waddamon said:

Your opinion lacks the point of sale.  Lots are attempting to sell, me included, few people are buying.  One cannot sell what others are not buying.  Also why chase price down unless one needs the money.  Also at the time this was the largest technic set ever.  Due to the counter party risk of lego I have learned some valuable lessons with this game.  I also will not be investing in lego technic except maybe the new Porsche coming out and the 24 hours racer.  Lego is in the game of repeats and remakes with bigger and better.  This is hitting the secondary market.  So one just waits because I a have also learned that some sets all the sudden catch a serious bid that no one was expecting.

There is no repeat of 8110. Only thing is unimog post reitrement supply was too high as many people climbed on board, especially with articles on brickpicker touting the merits of large technic set as good investment.

If you think that the upcoming porche is going to make money, then be prepared for the rest of brickpicker crowd joining you. The nature of this game has changed.

17 minutes ago, nolanfan34 said:

I was hoping the release of another Mercedes would help this one, but it hasn't impacted it yet. People dumping it is hurting right now for sure. My main concern with this one was that it is sort of an obscure vehicle. Hopefully the Mercedes brand will help it overcome that. 

Mogs are far from obscure - in fact, if you look at a lot of sites around the time of its release and later (especially those frequented by petrolheads) you'll see lots of very positive stuff about it (that is how I found out about it, actually, as it was released during my second dark ages). I bought mine used off the secondary market at more than retail and it was completely worth it.

It may be simpler - much more supply than there is demand and there has been a slew of very interesting Technic releases since then. Not everyone is a LEGO collecting weirdo like myself and I would say many of us here; they may just get a few sets that strike their fancy or they can get at affordable prices.

I love the parts selection in the Unimog set, actually, and the fact that there are so many MOC of Unimog vehicles  (and even a City-scale one released by LEGO themselves) points towards it being a good set that may have just been a bit overproduced for the market.

4 hours ago, Battrax said:

Mogs are far from obscure - in fact, if you look at a lot of sites around the time of its release and later (especially those frequented by petrolheads) you'll see lots of very positive stuff about it (that is how I found out about it, actually, as it was released during my second dark ages). I bought mine used off the secondary market at more than retail and it was completely worth it.

It may be simpler - much more supply than there is demand and there has been a slew of very interesting Technic releases since then. Not everyone is a LEGO collecting weirdo like myself and I would say many of us here; they may just get a few sets that strike their fancy or they can get at affordable prices.

I love the parts selection in the Unimog set, actually, and the fact that there are so many MOC of Unimog vehicles  (and even a City-scale one released by LEGO themselves) points towards it being a good set that may have just been a bit overproduced for the market.

Maybe obscure is overstating it, but I just meant for a non-gear head it's not as recognizable as like a bulldozer or the RC vehicles. Good points though, I do agree with them in general.

i havent got a unimog. i think they arent doing not so well because there are some models who are much more appealing in my eyes. arocs and the mk2crane are superb models and id really like to build those, unimog never really attracted me.

although, i wont invest more money in technic as well. mk2 is retired from legoshop for weeks now and you can still find it at many retailers. these sets sell slowly. 

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone,

I've been sympathising with the Unimog since I saw it for the first time and now have a chance to get it new in sealed box for 100€.

I intend to flip it and generate some money for other sets such as a modular.

Anyone agrees that this "old" set is worth 100€ and is easy to flip at 200€? I've seen the prices on eBay and am astonished.

Thank you in advance.

• 2 months later...

Unrelated to investment, but very weird. Today i went to ship my used Unimog that i finally got around to parting with on eBay. In the driveway of the house a few doors down from the post office is... a unimog. The post office is the building on the far right, near the red post box. Wooooo, spooky!

unimog.JPG

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
Guest TabbyBoy
58 minutes ago, Val-E said:

This set  just won´t appreciate - 9398 and 42009 are both doing better. A real shame as it is a fantastic build. Just goes to show not all Technic flagship and licensed sets do well.

The Unimog is the first Technic set I ever built and it's superb. It's a shame that some great sets are failing miserably. It's a sign of the times I think.

1 hour ago, Furious_george said:

Never seen this thread before. Great read ( maybe not so much for those at the start  who were stocking up on them though). 

Yeah, first few pages are classic BP over-optimism, probably justified by how the market was performing at the time and the spectacular appreciation of the previous flagship red truck. People talking about buying a closetfull at well below RRP, encouraging others to do the same and praising how good the set was.

Check back a few pages after retirement and it´s mostly doom and gloom, except for those who flipped their discounted sets and moved on to better things. Lessons for all.

• Thanks 1