8110 - Mercedes-Benz Unimog U 400

glucapg

Agreeing with ^NMM, only a handful of the sets marked 50% were still in stock when the price dropped.  I tend to think that the online price decrease reflected some change to Lego's "master price list" or something, which might allow individual stores to clearance as they see fit.  I don't claim to be an expert on Lego corporate structure, but I do know that their B&M stores and LEGO Shop at Home operate within the same ecosystem, unlike most companies where local stores/online retail are separate wings of the company (or Toys R Us, whose website is technically an entirely different company than the store chain).  I can see most decisions on what to clearance coming from Lego corporate rather than being made in individual stores based on sales;  it also wouldn't surprise me if stores couldn't discount past a certain percentage without corporate's approval.

To stay on topic, there's three Unimogs at a local TRU that I've been keeping my eye on- priced at $219.99 US though.  I'm still on the fence, though;  I want 'em, but I primarily part out and don't buy much for investment unless it's at an outrageous discount (like the mint Helm's Deep I got at Target for $60 in January).  I wish I would've gotten them during the BOGO.

As usual, they will probably all sell the day before I decide that I finally want to grab them.

Guest TabbyBoy

Update... I just bought the 8110 Unimog. The box was sealed but a bit damaged due to shelf wear. I asked for a discount and got 20% off. So I paid 128. I am pretty proud of myself.

Prepare to hold onto this for the long haul, I sold one for only

Guest TabbyBoy

I knew this would not be for flipping. I think at xmas maybe I can make a nice profit already. But I am thinking about to tuck it away and sell it at xmas 2015.

Mine's at the very back off the attic behind my Tower Bridges, Modulars, Sopwiths & VW Campers.  My best Techinc set for flipping was the 9393 Tractor where I bought 10 for

Guest TabbyBoy

Is there anything you buy that is not more than 50% off??? haha Thanks for the advice. I will reserve a sweet spot at my attic for it.

Don't get me wrong, the Unimog is a superb build and took best part of a week of evenings.  If you build it, don't waste 4hrs getting the differential gearbox the wrong way round like I did!  You think the manual is wrong but, it's not.  A few people have done the same.  Even though I have one left boxed, I'm still happy to keep it and perhaps build it again to keep on display.  The best fun I've had with Technic was building a 41999 and chasing the cats around the garden with it.  For investment, I think the large exclusives and modulars are a better deal.  Of course, I can't resist say, a -60% set for flipping.

Guest TabbyBoy

Excuse me but what kind of return are you expecting? It just retired a few months ago and steadily rising. most people think unimog is one of the better investment options. You are the only one I've seen regretting buying it on deep discount. If you are expecting the camper or camel could bring much faster and bigger profit you are in for disappointment.

Your guess is as good as mine. I just think that Technic doesn't have a big enough fan base yet for good investment but, may well do in the future. My comment just showed disappointment as I'd hoped for

Excuse me but what kind of return are you expecting? It just retired a few months ago and steadily rising. most people think unimog is one of the better investment options. You are the only one I've seen regretting buying it on deep discount. If you are expecting the camper or camel could bring much faster and bigger profit you are in for disappointment.

Your guess is as good as mine. I just think that Technic doesn't have a big enough fan base yet for good investment but, may well do in the future. My comment just showed disappointment as I'd hoped for

Guest TabbyBoy

Maybe Technic sets don't do as well in the UK as they do in the US. The Technic sets tend to grow in value faster here in the US. Maybe there is not a very large fan-base for Technic sets in the UK, which may result in the slowed growth.

Maybe because Technic is everywhere in the UK and none are exclusive. We all know that US/UK markets differ.

Maybe because Technic is everywhere in the UK and none are exclusive. We all know that US/UK markets differ.

That is probably true. I have only seen Technic sets in two stores which was TRU and Lego store. I have seen some other online store like Amazon etc carry these sets, but there wasn't a substantial discount.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...