Greek/Roman History & Mythology - Would it make a good theme?

TheOrcKing

Friends, Romans, Countrymen! Lend me your votes!  

66 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a theme based around Greek/Roman history and mythology?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. If Lego did such a theme, could it make a good investment?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

The idea has been touched on somewhat throughout the different Series' of Minifigures and there has been a bit of talk on and off here at BrickPicker about such a thing, but we haven't really had a focused conversation about it. So how about we put it to a vote as to whether or not you would like to see Lego create a theme that revolves around the incredible world of Greek/Roman History and Mythology.

Here's a quick rundown of all the related Minifigures.

Spartan - Series 2

Gladiator - Series 5

Minotaur - Series 6

Roman Soldier - Series 6

Ocean King - Series 7

Roman Emperor - Series 9

Mermaid - Series 9

Medusa - Series 10

Roman Commander - Series 10

Warrior Woman - Series 10

Barbarian - Series 11

And if you feel like it, how about tossing around some ideas for sets themselves?

A coliseum playset would be nice, or maybe that maze (can't remember what it's called) that has the minotaur in it. They could do a King Midas set with gold bricks, Perseus versus the Kracken with Pegausus, or Jason's ship with the golden fleece. A ton of possibilities here.

• Like 1

I recently bought some Playmoibil 2nd hand for my great-neice and nephew, in it was a leaflet showing the other sets available at the time. This included a Colluseum, a roman galley and other stuff, it looked great and would have been a great toy. So yes, Lego should try this, I'd buy it

I recently bought some Playmoibil 2nd hand for my great-neice and nephew, in it was a leaflet showing the other sets available at the time.

This included a Colluseum, a roman galley and other stuff, it looked great and would have been a great toy.

So yes, Lego should try this, I'd buy it

Colosseum would be great! I think getting some of the Gods accurate might be a little hard..

While I know you're talking about Greek/Roman Mythology, I would really like to see a plain Roman theme as others are alluding to. Completely different themes, though some of the buildings could overlap I suppose. Looking at all the CMF's that have come out similar to these two themes makes you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

For me yes... it would be awesome.

I don't know if kids would get it. And then you have all the crazy parents who might boycot the theme because they think its blastphimous (spelling?).

I agree, I think adults would appreciate it, but it would just be too foreign for the kids to really appreciate.It would all depend on how lego presented it.

I agree, I think adults would appreciate it, but it would just be too foreign for the kids to really appreciate.It would all depend on how lego presented it. It's not that unknown for young kids, and there is absolutely nothing blasphemous should Lego do the theme, it's considered cultural history. Look at recently with the remake of "Clash of the Titans" and its sequel "Wrath of the Titans". How about the other film, "Immortals" about Theseus? There is also the "Percy Jackson & the Olympians" series of books that have been around since 2005. You can find other referances throughout todays media, so I don't think a theme like this would go over their head. And even if the child never knew about the Greek/Roman Mythos, the sets may get them interested in the first place which is always a good thing.

It's not that unknown for young kids, and there is absolutely nothing blasphemous should Lego do the theme, it's considered cultural history. Look at recently with the remake of "Clash of the Titans" and its sequel "Wrath of the Titans". How about the other film, "Immortals" about Theseus? There is also the "Percy Jackson & the Olympians" series of books that have been around since 2005. You can find other referances throughout todays media, so I don't think a theme like this would go over their head. Even if the child never knew about the Greek/Roman Mythos, the sets may get them interested in the first place which is always a good thing.

I agree...in fact, this doesn't seem all that different from the Castles theme from the perspective given by OrcKing.

Dude, my jaw hit the ground so hard....

While I know you're talking about Greek/Roman Mythology, I would really like to see a plain Roman theme as others are alluding to.

I wasn't really specific to either part really. Historical or Mythological, they're both good.

Perhaps I should have added "History" to the original title and question.

Alright, just added in the "History" part in case you'd rather have that instead.

Honestly though, it's not like there's really a difference. They both have tales of Gods & Goddesses in there.

That Legopolis is superb. I have been trying to work out their building techniques.

I cannot see TLG doing this as a theme though - which is a pity - as it would not appeal to many kids. Some yes, but not enough and the TFOL & AFOL market is not big enough on its own. But you could have some brilliant sets - a UCS Collesium or Forum.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree, I think adults would appreciate it, but it would just be too foreign for the kids to really appreciate.It would all depend on how lego presented it.

There's a huge increase in awareness/popularity of Mythology among kids with the "Percy Jackson" and related books - very popular.  The first movie from a couple years ago was ok, but failed to put fans into a tizzy - the 2nd one comes out later this year.  I dunno if it makes more sense to do a licensed version based on mythology (like Percy Jackson) or a historical Roman or mythological Roman or what, but there are certainly many, many cool possible sets with this theme.  I think TLG basically created their own mythological world with CHIMA, so I doubt we see a Roman/Greek mythological theme in a long time.  Fun to see the MOCs though!

Honestly if LEGO did a mythology theme, I would go broke.

That night.

Not even kidding. I absolutely adore Greek and Roman mythology. There's just a plethora of heroes, monsters, gods, goddesses, etc that could be fleshed, er, fig'd out.

Not only that, but the architecture of that time period was just fascinating. Arenas, altars, temples, AHHH. Everything was so awesome. Atlantis realllllly tickled my mythology bone with its sunken ruins that were very reminiscent of Greek architecture. Even more when LEGO released its Roman soldiers, Captains, Emperors, and traditional fantasy monsters like the Minotaur, Cyclops and Medusa.

To be honest, I can't really understand why LEGO -hasn't- done something like this yet. Children are taught enough about this kind of mythology in school (at least I was), and LEGO could even be somewhat educational with a theme like this. I imagine everyone had at least one favorite god or goddess from some pantheon, or at the least enjoyed some of the fabled stories or epics.

I really hope the naysayers are wrong in this regard. I would thoroughly enjoy a Mthyology theme. It would immediately become my most favorite LEGO theme of all time.

Unless of course, LEGO took another shot at Avatar: The Last Airbender sets. The initial offerings (only TWO sets!) were made before the show took off (back when they thought the series would do only one season), and was competing against Spongebob (insanely dominant at the time) for a spot for a full line.

I want my Toph and Azula minifigs!

• Like 3

Honestly if LEGO did a mythology theme, I would go broke.

That night.

Not even kidding. I absolutely adore Greek and Roman mythology. There's just a plethora of heroes, monsters, gods, goddesses, etc that could be fleshed, er, fig'd out.

Not only that, but the architecture of that time period was just fascinating. Arenas, altars, temples, AHHH. Everything was so awesome. Atlantis realllllly tickled my mythology bone with its sunken ruins that were very reminiscent of Greek architecture. Even more when LEGO released its Roman soldiers, Captains, Emperors, and traditional fantasy monsters like the Minotaur, Cyclops and Medusa.

To be honest, I can't really understand why LEGO -hasn't- done something like this yet. Children are taught enough about this kind of mythology in school (at least I was), and LEGO could even be somewhat educational with a theme like this. I imagine everyone had at least one favorite god or goddess from some pantheon, or at the least enjoyed some of the fabled stories or epics.

I really hope the naysayers are wrong in this regard. I would thoroughly enjoy a Mthyology theme. It would immediately become my most favorite LEGO theme of all time.

I 'thumbs up'ed this so hard my finger broke. And I still don't see any reason why anyone would or even could freak out if Lego did a Roman/Greek related theme. It's history for crying out loud.