41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

I had a 9398 crawler that my son and I had some fun with, but it was only a gateway to buying a hobby grade r/c truck, which we enjoy a lot more :) I'll definitely try to get my hands on this one for an investment, but I don't think it lives up to its $200 price tag as an r/c vehicle. Mainly because it needs xl motors, and I'm quite surprised Lego chose not to upgrade the chassis to include them with this model. Still, it looks pretty badass. Much better than that awful black/white/orange job on 9398.

Here's a link to the Lego Technic website and another for the latest on the set.

According to the second article, there will be Power Functions on the car, but it will only be for the winch and the headlights. There will be NO Power Functions to make the car R/C.

I get it, they don't want to take away from their first crawler by making them the same, but no R/C makes $200 for a lesser functioning model that much more difficult to justify.

Here's a link to the Lego Technic website and another for the latest on the set.

According to the second article, there will be Power Functions on the car, but it will only be for the winch and the headlights.  There will be NO Power Functions to make the car R/C.

I'm confused, there's nothing in there that says it has no R/C power functions.  This has all the functions of the original, plus extra winch and headlight ones.  

Guest eightbrick

Great set. I'm debating whether this should be a part of my top sets for 2013 article. What do you guys think? Does it have the potential?

Guys, seriously, the crawler is hilariously underpowered. For $215 you can buy an entry level Traxxas Stampede that will hit 25+ mph and has enough torque to climb curbs. The crawler groans if it tries to climb a hardcover book. The novelty of a Lego r/c truck quickly wears off when you try to have any fun with it. Now, if you want to upgrade the motors, drop the differential, and adjust your gear ratios, you will get better results, but I have more fun wrenching on an actual r/c. Try it, it's super fun.

This does have full RC capabilities. Further down in the review you can see it being built with power function motors and everything. It isn't just working headlights and a winch. It's the whole shebang!

Guys, seriously, the crawler is hilariously underpowered.

It really is....

If it has full R/C then I am interested. But I am still not interested in paying full price for the set, and since, with a limited run, I would assume it is an exclusive..... :bye:

Here's what I based my earlier post on:

It took some effort, but we

so now is it right to invest in "old" 9398 4x4?

I think they are two different sets, so getting one shouldn't preclude investing in the other.

After thinking about 41999, I will be adding it to my portfolio on August 1. I think this will be a winner.

Good video! Looks pretty awesome to me. I want to buy it just for the box alone! Great packaging! I think it's a guaranteed winner. Where does the line start? :drool:

Exact same train of thought! It being exclusive makes it all the better! Then again... TLG doesn't seem to like sticking to these "exclusive only 10,000 copies" promises.

Not sure how this guy got it, but it looks great!

I recognized the web address. That guy is the creator of the original custom design this limited editon is based on, therefore it makes sense for him to receive his own way before everybody else. I'm not sure if his counts against the production run and have a "1 of 20,000" to it or not. It may but I think the 20,000 run is for the general public altogther.

By the way... I found a video on Youtube for this set. Not sure how this guy got it, but it looks great! I especially like the winch!

Yeah... 4x4 Crawler + 25 page picture books = disappointment.

Okay okay, no more poking fun. Anyway I will be buying one for investment. Obviously there are plenty of people who think this is a respectable r/c... (it's not)

Yeah... 4x4 Crawler + 25 page picture books = disappointment.

Okay okay, no more poking fun. Anyway I will be buying one for investment. Obviously there are plenty of people who think this is a respectable r/c... (it's not)

If this one just doesn't do it for you, what would you like to see in a Lego R/C then?

If this one just doesn't do it for you, what would you like to see in a Lego R/C then?

Honestly, just what most people are doing to modify stock crawlers. XL motors, better gear ratios, dropping the differential, and fatter, grippier tires. Power Puller tires would be ideal. They only came on one Technic set years ago, and each set only came with two of them. Now the set sells for hundreds of dollars just because people want the tires. As for the L motors, the r/c motors from the short-lived Racers sets are more powerful, but Lego no longer makes them, either. Really if Lego was serious about entering the r/c market they should've engineered new motors and tires instead of pulling them from existing sets in which they were never meant for locomotion.

For $200 bucks a stock crawler isn't worth its weight in Lego.