75005 - Rancor Pit

cpcarey1225

As part of their official plans for SDCC 2012, Lego is going to unveil the Rancor Monster Pit set on Saturday. I can honestly say that this has been my dream set since I was a kid and now as an AFOL I can afford to buy it. I wonder if it will connect to the new Jabba's Palace set and make use of the trap door. I figure since The Urukai Army set and Helm's Deep connect that their might be a chance of this connectivity. What do you guys think?

Rancor Monster Pit

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I think this is a great set, haven't seen it in the wild yet. While I think it is a great set, I think it is overpriced at $60 retail for 380 pieces, even with the cool Rancor. I'm resisting it until it meets my discount minimum. lol I have seen it at 10% off on Amazon.

I feel foolish for admitting this, but I guess I didn't even realize it was out. So when I saw it at a Target tonight, I nearly swooned with excitement! That Rancor not-so-mini fig is awesome!

I saw and bought this during my first target price match visit. The main retailers also have it online. It is starting to become more common on shelves.

I like the set (and figs) and concept but wish it just had more substance to it. Maybe have rock walls instead of open air.

I paid near retail price (just to finally get one). my son and i have three 9516 Jabba Palace sets (only 1 w/ minifigs). We are thinking about ways to make a larger Palace and still attach the Rancor set. Note: my son is 3 so I'm doing most of design work :(

I do agree that it is overpriced, I picked mine up from LEGO Shop at Home since I had VIP to bring down the price. For those that want walls for it, I agree that those would make it more like the movie, but would make it very hard to play with, and would have raised the piece count(and price) quite a bit. You would have then had an $80 set that everybody would be complaining about. You can always MOC it too. Let's face it, we are only getting this set for the Rancor, not for the aesthetics of a rock pit.

I do agree that it is overpriced, I picked mine up from S@H since I had VIP to bring down the price. For those that want walls for it, I agree that those would make it more like the movie, but would make it very hard to play with, and would have raised the piece count(and price) quite a bit. You would have then had an $80 set that everybody would be complaining about. You can always MOC it too. Let's face it, we are only getting this set for the Rancor, not for the aesthetics of a rock pit.

i agree but lego could have easily added at least one wall (e.g. Indiana Jones : 7621: The Lost Tomb) for another $10 or so.

I agree that without Jabba's Palace, it looks a little... lacking. My local Targets have all had it out for sale, along with the full Chima, SH, and Ninjago lines. It's an awesome set that I can't wait to put out on display, just waiting for it to go on sale. I finally picked up a Palace on sale a couple weeks ago, I don't think I'll hold out that long on this one. 20% and it will be mine!

• 1 month later...