Trains - general discussion

Seifer

Guest TabbyBoy

So glad I got the red passenger train at -40% as the new, sleeker white one is going to hurt it I think. But, very glad I have no Horizon "half-a-train" Express!

So glad I got the red passenger train at -40% as the new, sleeker white one is going to hurt it I think. But, very glad I have no Horizon "half-a-train" Express!

the new passenger train is going to crush the sale of 7897 but I think 7938 is distinct enough that it will have its own demand. It's never enough to own only one set of passenger train, not to mention that white bricks will yellow over time.

Guest ph4tb0i

Massive train collector here (if anybody has an Observation Car for Santa Fe Super  chief here please PM me btw. :))

They look very complimentary to the last set of trains. 7897 was more of an German ICE-1 design but the new white one looks closer to the German ICE-3 variants.

The blue loco i'm not too fond of though, but maybe that's because I've been spoiled by the Maersk engine. The thing looks so short and stubby. Maybe good as a yard shunter or something (still love my red cargo train engine the most from the City sets).

Will definitely need to stock up on 7939s now if I see them on sale.

Guest ph4tb0i

wut? That's the crown jewel of the Lego HSR trains.... Almost everybody who buys this train always buys 2+ just to get a longer train (Heck I had to buy 2 1/2 7897s so that the lengths would reasonably match... lol)

You underestimate train collectors....

• 2 weeks later...

I have a ton of extra train parts from a huge Craigslist lot I purchased.  I was able to complete a few trains, but still have a lot of wheels, bogies, buffers, motors, IR, you name it.  Would you sell separately?  In a larger lot?  I don't know if train guys like to buy in a bigger bulk to MOC trains or just as they need it and would prefer smaller lots.  I'm as high on ease of selling as making the utmost in money as I don't want to have 100 auctions of this stuff going.

Any input would be appreciated.  Normally I would break this up, but thought maybe buyers might want the whole lot just as much since you kind of need many of the parts to complete a train.  Thanks.

I think it depends on what parts your talking about, standard black wheels, bogies ect are still available from lego so I buy those there, but if your talking yellow train bases, orange windows, big white windows, or light grey, blue grey wheels then I think you have all of our attention.  I sell my rare parts on bricklink magnets sell okay, rare pieces at good price always sell, especially if they are not all scratched up, but usually they are at least when I get a big lot.  I would buy a large lot or a small lot if it contained a few rare pieces that I know I can not get elsewhere.

Sounds like you want someone to tell you to sell it as a single lot just to get rid of it. So...Sell it as a single lot, trains guys love to part out bulk lots. Send me the motor though, I need one for a MOC.

Not at all.  While it is easier, if there are certain parts that train guys look for specifically, I want to sell those separate.  But I know very little about trains as I have never collected them.

I think it depends on what parts your talking about, standard black wheels, bogies ect are still available from lego so I buy those there, but if your talking yellow train bases, orange windows, big white windows, or light grey, blue grey wheels then I think you have all of our attention.  I sell my rare parts on bricklink magnets sell okay, rare pieces at good price always sell, especially if they are not all scratched up, but usually they are at least when I get a big lot.  I would buy a large lot or a small lot if it contained a few rare pieces that I know I can not get elsewhere.

I don't think I have anything rare.  I was hoping to find some of those you memtioned since I did some bricklink searching, but I think most of what I have is pretty common.

I have sold loads of train parts, sell it as wheels in one lot, doors in another, etc etc etc. Chances are 1 buyer will buy the lot and you won't have to do much shipping. I once bought a whole lot of train parts on ebay making an offer to some guy listing his attic find for 28 quid, I got just under 300 for it.

I have sold loads of train parts, sell it as wheels in one lot, doors in another, etc etc etc. Chances are 1 buyer will buy the lot and you won't have to do much shipping. I once bought a whole lot of train parts on ebay making an offer to some guy listing his attic find for 28 quid, I got just under 300 for it.

I second this if you are looking to avoid bricklink.

Here's a photo of what I have.  I don't sell on bricklink, this would be ebay.

Of the magnets, they are the sealed variety, have a few dozen sets

Of the wheel assemblies, same, few dozen of them.

black motor x5 

Bogies several dozen   

loose small wheels are banded variety

The wire around the plate is for lights.  It's Lego brand, but I have no idea about it as it pretty much exposed wires.  Could be Modded.

DSCN0227.jpg

Tough call, I might sell as 3-5 different lots with one or two base plates per lot hoping to help carry the other less desirable pieces.  Do you have a lot more baseplates, red, black?  The wheels that accept technic pins are well liked.  I don't have much experience selling the new motors so don't have any good advice for those, but they don't seem to sell as well or high as the old 9v motors which sell themselves which still astonishes me since that old track is getting rare, I suppose many of us still have a lot from years past.

I'd put the 3 large plates in one lot, red & grey separate, large wheels separate from the small (not connected wheels), the loose wire separate from the ones connected to power functions, as you only have 2 of each you could bunch the wheels, boogies and buffers together. that plate with the lights just looks a mess, not sure, if it is not a lego wire just strip it. not as much there as I thought but you'd probably get twice as much seling in lots as with this lot it is unlikely more than one person would want everything.

I'd put the 3 large plates in one lot, red & grey separate, large wheels separate from the small (not connected wheels), the loose wire separate from the ones connected to power functions, as you only have 2 of each you could bunch the wheels, boogies and buffers together. that plate with the lights just looks a mess, not sure, if it is not a lego wire just strip it. not as much there as I thought but you'd probably get twice as much seling in lots as with this lot it is unlikely more than one person would want everything.

I only pictured a couple of the wheels/bogies.  I have dozens of wheels, bogies, and magnet buffers.  I just didn't picture them all.  Check my notes above the picture.

I see, sorry I didn't read it properly. I'd put the magnets with the buffers as you can't use one without the other. Having lots of one item always raises the question do you bulk or not, maybe groups of 8 as you want rid of them now. Otherwise hold some back for another day, I normally just go ahead list the lot at 99p start in individual lots.