Trains - general discussion

33 minutes ago, Kenxxx said:

So my kid wants his first Lego train for his birthday next week. Fortunately he likes the 60052 Cargo Train and it has been on sale lately, so that's already in the bag.  Now how about more track? This set is often advertised alongside 7499 (flex track) and 7895 Switch Tracks... but don't see much of a discount on those... (1) Do these ever get a GOOD discount?, and (2) What's the best way to get a little more track?

Lots of people part train sets, so if you know what extra track you need, bricklink maybe be a better bet.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Kenxxx said:

Anyone ever use <gasp> "Lego compatible" track? Is it as bad as other "compatible" merch?

Depends on what you use. I would use ME Track in a heartbeat (they make better radii for the curves). LEPIN/DeCool etc rails, or whatever clone brand, not really. I'm a purist that way :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Haay said:

Just read a rather interesting rumour... The upcoming 2018 trains will get Bluetooth sensors instead of an infra read receiver, which will allow for controlling through mobile phone or tablet in a similar vein as with Lego Boost !

All part of Wedo migration. Those sets will be around for 4 years so it´s the right time to migrate. If it is not true then it seems we will be stuck with current PF forever on trains and technic.

19 hours ago, Val-E said:

Train box art up at the usual places.

And the green locomotive is different than posted here before. Maybe they have an alternative build?

Also the passenger train seems to be with locomotive and 2 cars, so you can double it - a la Horizon Express.

1 minute ago, dmind said:

And the green locomotive is different than posted here before. Maybe they have an alternative build?

Also the passenger train seems to be with locomotive and 2 cars, so you can double it - a la Horizon Express.

Both are City trains though, no new Creator option yet.

21 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Seems the tracks are also getting updated and flex rails are going to be withdrawn.

It will be interesting to see what demand there is for the previous generation power functions - most are now out of stock at EU SAH, so they may be paving the way for the new system.

This is the 2nd year in a row they've had significant supply issues on the power functions over the holidays and post-holidays.  IR Sensor has been on backorder until March for a while in US.  The motor is temporarily out of stock.  Poor timing and forecasting on Lego's part with regard to releasing the Holiday Train - from a customer experience standpoint.  

Seems the tracks are also getting updated and flex rails are going to be withdrawn. It will be interesting to see what demand there is for the previous generation power functions - most are now out of stock at EU SAH, so they may be paving the way for the new system.

I really hope something new is coming..

According to Eurobricks the switch is to new Power-Functions using Bluetooth Low Energy transmission, and connectors like those used in Lego Boost...
New base:
5a61d69c97221_NieuweLegoPowerfunctions.jpg.37765c88086942e0fd5aa5b69bbbf726.jpg
Compare with Lego Boost Medium motor:
Medium-Motor.jpg

That control box wouldn't work for Trains, as it requires them to be 8-wide, and LEGO trains are always 6-wide.

I hope this new train system doesn't drive down the prices of present sets and component if buyer want mostly the latest-and-greatest like gadget freaks do. I've not paid more than 60% of RRP for any train set so I hope to at least break even. I really want 60052 to retire asap as I have a stash of them to offload. The new system does look interesting and I will look at it at some point.

2 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Saw the new train on the shelf at Target today. A little surprised, they never carried the old ones in store around here. 

IMG_5769.jpg

I noticed that during the reset also. They did do some rearranging to add the Speed Champions also and I think its because of TRUs downfall and the opportunity to allow more floor space for the Toy dept.