7937 - Train Station

nolanfan34

Any thoughts on this set as an investment? I haven't collected a ton of trains yet, but as part of a city layout this seems like it could be interesting, particularly paired with the Passenger Train or Horizon Express. As an aside, some sort of large train station for the Creator Modular series would be pretty awesome. I am surprised they haven't done a train station with a bigger piece count yet.

train stations always do well as an investment. with the popularity of the train theme, everyone who is setting up a display must have a station or two. the previous station (yellow one. i cant recall the set #) did very well for me. i purchased them at retail, which was $50, and sold them all for between $100-$150/each after holding them for a couple of years. any time lego puts out a new station i always pick a few up. it's as close to guaranteed profit as you can probably get.

I have 4 of these at the moment. It rarely goes on sale but I was able to pick them up when TRU has BOGO 50%. It was one of the rare items they didn't raise the price on before the sale. I think it is a winner. Very unique at the moment and very much under the radar in my opinion. A 2010 set that could go EOL at any time. I don't think you aren't going to see huge returns on it but I think it is still worth picking up.

I have 4 of these at the moment. It rarely goes on sale but I was able to pick them up when TRU has BOGO 50%. It was one of the rare items they didn't raise the price on before the sale. I think it is a winner. Very unique at the moment and very much under the radar in my opinion. A 2010 set that could go EOL at any time. I don't think you aren't going to see huge returns on it but I think it is still worth picking up.

Yeah, part of the reason I asked was because of the TRU BOGOs. But I can't recall seeing it at most TRUs.

Yeah, part of the reason I asked was because of the TRU BOGOs. But I can't recall seeing it at most TRUs.

I haven't seen it at any TRU stores either. I think they only sell it online. Which is good because it makes it even more limited. I purchased mine when they had the BOGO 50% off which also included online sales.

I haven't seen it at any TRU stores either. I think they only sell it online. Which is good because it makes it even more limited. I purchased mine when they had the BOGO 50% off which also included online sales.

I have seen it for sure in stores, but very rarely. The problem is I can't remember which one. I need to start taking notes. :-)

Guest ph4tb0i

I can concur with the amazon.co.uk price - shipping to Canada is pretty cheap and I think you can still get 2 for under $80 to your door.

I got one for around 40 from Amazon.co.uk. They ship this package through DHL for me so I didn't have to pay any duties/taxes on it.

Ich, seeing this thread makes me want to buy more.. >_>

I'm not really sure how I feel about this set. I love almost all Lego train stuff, but this set is a bit weak looking for a train station. Some of the older train stations/garages were much better looking if you ask me.

I do agree that it is a little less 'beefy' compared to other one building stations, but I do like the overall look and feel of it.

Plus it comes with a cabbie!

As an aside, some sort of large train station for the Creator Modular series would be pretty awesome. I am surprised they haven't done a train station with a bigger piece count yet.

It may happen yet. Lego still has plenty of more design ideas to use for the modular line of builds.

Guest ph4tb0i

Just built this set a couple of days ago. I must admit I'm pretty happy with it. It looked crappy on the box but after the build it's a nice set, especially with the little taxi and the track that it comes with. Of course, I don't think you can make this into a "central" station for any train model unless you put 8-10 of these together, but it definitely is nice for small stations/ situating it in a suburb in any Lego city model. The little convenience store on the platform is pretty cool too. You get a printed keyboard piece along with a printed screen tile. All in all love it and it will be a great piece to add to the collection.

• 6 months later...

So I actually though this set was on it's way to EOL.    I also thought it was exclusive to TRU and S @ ****...now it's "new" at Walmart...ggrrrrrr...otherwise, I like the set and I think I remember the fastest appreciating set a few months back was the last train station.  (I could be wrong about this.)   Anyways...was I mistaken about this being a TRU exclusive?  Does it happen frequently that another store picks a set up after it has been available for three years? 

http://www.walmart.com/ip/LEGO-City-Train-Station-Play-Set/20552221

Edit:  I can't believe this set hasn't been talked about.  I did search.  If I missed it please merge.

I am not going to lie.   This set coming back into production and even wider distribution, coupled with orc forge and vampire castles coming back online has me a little depressed today.

Likewise to the 2 train sets, there were none on Amazon and the Lego store for months.  

Every decent City/Train layout needs a train station.  I like this set and have made an easy 30% flipping a few already.  Hard to know when it will go EOL.  Another one of those City sets that seem to hang around for a while and when it does go it may be due to getting replaced, like the police station etc.

It`s currently available on Amazon UK for 25GBP. Great buy if you want one. 

For investment, honestly, it should do well. Most everyone with trains will want a station of some kind, whether it be this, a previously released version, or something different. The high quantity and low price at the moment for this makes it either a quick flip depending on where you are (as Grolim has said) or a long term hold. If you can't seem to/aren`t interested in flipping it, hang onto the ones you have but expect a long waiting period. Trains haven`t gone out of style yet, and I doubt they will anytime soon. 

• 2 months later...