853373 - Kingdoms Chess

LEGO HULK

Guest TabbyBoy

I'd love to see a chess set based on British royals and historical figures for sale in the UK only.  We can then charge Americans through the nose! ;-)

Can you imagine the massive international demand for William/Kate as King/Queen? (With Princess Anne & Camilla as the horses [knights] as they look like them!)

Mark my words, this won't be retired. The Chess set was a hugely popular item for Xmas this year. That's all. Would you suggest every Friends set that's sold out is retired too? Perhaps they're retiring the Dolphin Cruiser cuz it's sold out. By the time Xmas rolls around, almost everything will be sold out on Shop at Home.

ok you win, it doesnt say retired, and there have been a few notable cases where a set will return after being retired such as the orc forge, but even the orc for didnt stay in stock very long. Based on the time of year, the fact that kingdoms theme is long gone and this set has been around for awhile i would say its retired or as close as you can get.

Is The Orc Forge back?? 

Guest TabbyBoy

Hopefully amazon.uk bans oversea purchase for those sets if they ever air :P not like it will happen ... them being released that is :D

I hardly buy from the USA anyway due to our very low customs allowance, high duty and high VAT.  If the value appears too low on the customs form, UK customs have the right to base duty and VAT on RRP and charge admin fees on top!

• 1 month later...

As with most sets that retired...here's another one I regret not buying more of last year.  Been able to flip some sets for +$100 locally lately so great margins.  Got to keep one for personal collection...wifey said this will be a great investment so her prediction was right.  At regular prices of $39.99 US and $49.99 CAN it was good value for all the pieces/minifigs you get.  Was even better when you purchased with polybag promo like mini vw camper or 2X-3X vip pts etc. 

Anybody stockpiled huge with this set?  10, 20, 30 or more?  Looks like a big winner. 

I bought a lot, but they sell so well I couldn't really "stockpile" them as they soon so fast.

Good for you.  Prices should continue to rise...I only have 3 left so might hold my last two sets back or just list for higher.  The box is a decent size but easy to store/stack so I would love to see 30-50 more in my closet :) 

I have 5 left, but the set has been very flippable.

yeah, there were tons in stock last yr when I first started this Lego hobby...wished I could have used more investment capital on this set vs other sets collecting dust in my closet haha. 

Even used I saw them selling for $80. Yes, I knew it would be good, so I bought a dozen of them. I hope you all bought mini modulars too, as those are on the rise as well!

sadly, I only have 1 mini modulars.  Of course another set I should of loaded up on :)  As a rookie/newbie it's hard deciding where to put your funds...and that set wasn't too cheap and never went on sale...just had to maximize during promotions for decent polybag or vip pts I guess. 

ive never thought to buy chess sets. hmm. does lego release a new one each year?

It's not every year...someone wrote a really good article about chess sets and past sets values.  It's somewhere on this site, sorry don't have the link.  You just can't beat the price per minifig with these chess sets if you're into minifigs.  Plus you can target both the Lego fan and general chess fan. 

It's not every year...someone wrote a really good article about chess sets and past sets values.  It's somewhere on this site, sorry don't have the link.  You just can't beat the price per minifig with these chess sets if you're into minifigs.  Plus you can target both the Lego fan and general chess fan. 

Here we go: http://blog.brickpicker.com/lego-chess-sets-an-investment-checkmate/

thanks for that link Grolim, good read especially for those thinking of buying more if available in their region. it's a solid investment and has shown good returns already so a safe buy... also good for army building.

as for suggestions on how many to buy without being banned... really up to the individual and 'risk tolerance' I think anywhere from 8-12 might be safe as long as you broke the order up over a few days/weeks and buy some other stuff too. just my 2 cents... don't blame me if you get banned haha.