9470 - Shelob Attacks

At 35 % off I would definitely buy it. I Have good expectations for this set, mainly because of the brick built Shelob. Even at retail I think this set is a decent deal.

That, and I have my doubts that Shelob will make a return in the future.

This set is pretty bleh, small, not a lot going on. Yes it is the only current set with Sam, but I bet he will be in another set down the road. Even at 35% off, I wouldn't buy more than a couple, but thats just me, I'd rather not have much time worrying about small sets with small profits.

This set is pretty bleh, small, not a lot going on. Yes it is the only current set with Sam, but I bet he will be in another set down the road. Even at 35% off, I wouldn't buy more than a couple, but thats just me, I'd rather not have much time worrying about small sets with small profits.

That's another important fact to keep in mind. With sets this size, after all shipping and fees are taken out, even if the set doubles in value your profit will never be that high, unless you sell several of them.

• Like 1

I like the set as it is, and the Sam minifig will be desirable later if not reproduced. But as others have said the set is small and even if value doubles you aren't looking at huge gains. At 35% off though, I would grab a couple at least.

Very true, I do like how little it costs to ship these tiny sets but it tends to eat a higher percentage of profits. Thinking things over, it could sell for $50 in a few years if things go REALLY well, at that point, you would spend $7 in fees, $5 to ship and make abut $25 for the sale. Realistically, the set will be worth $35 in a few years and those profits would be reduced to about $15. Someone could make money off it, I'd just rather not bother personally. I'd much rather sell one Helm's Deep and make $150 off it it.

Stopped by a Target today and I found two lone LOTR sets: Gandalf Arrives $9.09 for and Shelob Attack $13.98 each 30% off. I didn't buy them, because I am 98% a SW fan and investor. I know, I know, I infringed the 'Buy Now, Think Later' rule that I myself have supported, so shoot me now. ;) The Target that I stopped by at is one of those sneaky ones that puts a few of their clearance sets in the back ends of aisles but then doesn't clearance anything else in the whole Lego section of their store, but I am going to guess that I will see these again since LOTR don't seem to sell that well here. If I see them again, should I pick them up? I would rather like to pick them up as an long term investment rather than a quick flip. Also, please keep in mind that as a minor, I have neither a job nor steady cash flow, so I have to have very picky investments. Thanks everyone!

The Shelob set is a better overall deal and in my opinion has a much better chance of appreciation. Gandalf and Frodo appear in so many sets, but as of now the SA set is the only one that includes a Samwise Gamgee minifig. Also, the Gandalf set, from what I can tell, doesn't have many if any at all unique pieces, it looks like the same kind of wheels and carriage we have seen in castle sets before. I think you'd be better off with SA if you can only afford one of them.

The Shelob set is a better overall deal and in my opinion has a much better chance of appreciation. Gandalf and Frodo appear in so many sets, but as of now the SA set is the only one that includes a Samwise Gamgee minifig. Also, the Gandalf set, from what I can tell, doesn't have many if any at all unique pieces, it looks like the same kind of wheels and carriage we have seen in castle sets before. I think you'd be better off with SA if you can only afford one of them.

+1

Thanks Josh, FcBarcelona, and Blackjack. If I see it again next time, I will pick it up. Probably just one though... :)

In addition to currently being the only set with Sam in it, Shelob Attacks is also one of only two sets with Gollum in it. Riddles for the Ring is the other. Since he is such a key character, I think this set is definitely better than Gandalf Arrives. Also, the One Ring is in this set. It is also in a few others, but not many. (Riddles, Weathertop, Barrel Escape)

Shelob Attacks has a different Gollum than the one in Riddles in the Dark.

I was just about to say the same thing; the two Gollums have different faces. A plus for Shelob Attacks.

On the other hand, Gandalf Arrives has a Frodo Baggins minifigure that is exclusive to that set and Frodo with Cooking Corner polybag.

So both have their 'exclusivities'. Plus the stuff in the back of Gandalf's wagon are not easy to come by especially in one set.