Ideas #006: 21108 - Ghostbusters Ecto-1

Jeff Mack

I reckon LEGO will eventually bring out the Station House if Ecto-1 is as popular as we think it will be.  I think the HH is too much on it's own now to last much longer unless the MF theme is coming back.

The creator of the set released the plans to build the station house.

I was showing my son the set and he said he didn't "get it", which is understandable since he doesn't have any experience with the Ghostbusters.  I have the movies, but I questioned whether he might be a little too young for them.  I did find season 1 of the cartoon on Amazon for $5, so we'll probably start on those. 

• Like 1

It brings tears to my eyes ! Superawesomelyunbelievable.

I usually buy 3 sets when I really like it, but I will consider buying 5 this time.

It will be a very cool cross-over with monster fighters theme, especially Haunted house. I would also be curious to see Ecto-1 side by side with the green car of Vampire Castle set. =)

Including a Slimer mini-figure would have been cool, though.

• 2 months later...

Hubcaps and undertray are better on the new model.

in my opinion, EVERYTHING ELSE is better on the original one.

Bill Murray's hair is so much better on the cuusoo project...

That hair is disappointing. Come on, he is balding. His fig is so out of character. Nevertheless this set will make a killing.

Bill Murray's face is better on the original model as well, doesn't really look like him on the retail model.

That balding hearing hair piece on the original, is that an official Lego part that we can bricklink, or something custom?

I think the official model looks pretty good, although I like the length and the tail fins on the original better.

It brings tears to my eyes ! Superawesomelyunbelievable.

I usually buy 3 sets when I really like it, but I will consider buying 5 this time.

It will be a very cool cross-over with monster fighters theme, especially Haunted house. I would also be curious to see Ecto-1 side by side with the green car of Vampire Castle set. =)

Including a Slimer mini-figure would have been cool, though.

Or you can also set up nice little chase with Vampyre Hearse

• Like 1

I agree with most of the above.  Hair was better on original, fins were better on original, etc.  They obviously shrunk it a little and swaped parts out to, what I would consider, more common parts.  I didn't see if it stated, but are the symbols printed or are they stickers?

This is going to make a sweet birthday gift for myself.

Thank! I missed the rover cuusoo so I'll take note on this one

Word on the street was the Rover was a very limited run, I have not heard the same rumors for this set. Regardless I will buy at least one for me at 12:01 am on June 1, there is also a chance that it may be the May 15 VIP early release set, although there are a couple other sets that are more likely candidates for that.

Despite all the little differences between the submitted model and the final design, I think Lego did a very good job altogether honestly. Much like The Zombies, this is just one of those "must haves". No waiting, no excuses, no nothing. I'm getting this the second I can period.

• Like 1

There are aspects I like with the original. Then there's some I like better with the official. Overall, I sorta wish whoever designed this set from Lego also would have done the Back to the Future set.

Official set likes and dislikes.

Rear quarter panel wings aren't smooth like on the original

Minifigs shirt prints are awesome.

I like Bill Murray's hair piece (ha) from the original set more.

Box is awesome

Winston's face is nicely done. However, I like Egan's face more from the original; the glasses are too big from the official set and look goofy.

Adding a simple single stud to the wheels are genius. Nicely done,

Wish we could have had the Chrome elements carried over to the official set

I like the front fenders from the original. The 2x2 curved down slope connected to the 3x2 holed plate had a nice look. The official one just put a single stud on that 3x2 plate where the hole is.

In summary, GREAT JOB Brent Waller and Lego. Awesome set.

Guest TabbyBoy

I personally think that Lego designed Ecto-1 very well and I'm in for a ton of these.  Much better than that hideous abortion of a Delorean that looked nothing like the real thing.

I personally think that Lego designed Ecto-1 very well and I'm in for a ton of these.  Much better than that hideous abortion of a Delorean that looked nothing like the real thing.

I`ve never heard a set described with those two detailed words. Points for creativity?  :laugh: