Ideas #006: 21108 - Ghostbusters Ecto-1

Jeff Mack

On ‎10‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 1:52 AM, kris_1973 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if SC and EV get the good-ole Disney cheese wedge price increase treatment within 1-year EOL similar to 10188/75159.

I just read on makingthisupasigo.com that the Jawas Versus Ewoks UCS SuperPack is slated for release in Q1-Q4 2017, taking up all of next year's new UCS slots.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

Stay cool, Ecto-1 will do well, like Delorean did... Perhaps not such good but better as birds at least... ;-)

I only bought one Birds a month before it went out of production. Then I sold it off for nearly 2x RRP and that was the highest price it ever achieved. Only went downhill after that. Glad I sold it at just the right moment! :) 

• Like 2

Just now, Haay said:

I only bought one Birds a month before it went out of production. Then I sold it off for nearly 2x RRP and that was the highest price it ever achieved. Only went downhill after that. Glad I sold it at just the right moment! :) 

But the reason why the price for Birds did not go up very high was the fact that the Walmart (US) had or has a tons of them after LEGO retired it...

Otherwise it would be already around 3x - 4x RRP.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

But the reason why the price for Birds did not go up very high was the fact that the Walmart (US) had or has a tons of them after LEGO retired it...

Otherwise it would be already around 3x - 4x RRP.

I doubt it. The availability of the Birds set in the USA has no influence on the supply & demand here in The Netherlands. Currently there are 4 offers for a Birds set on Marktplaats, with the cheapest on offer for €82,50 and the highest offered for €97,99. Even with supply diminishing, the demand for it doesn't make it rise above €100 for now and foreseeable future. Possibly in a few years from now the set will be so exclusive that it will reach 3x RRP. But without unique (printed) bricks or minifigs in this set, the only collectable part of Birds will ever be the box and the manual.

Now, for Ecto-1 I think it will do fine after the casual Lego-resellers have sold off their stashes with minimal profits. Will just take time... :) 

9 minutes ago, Haay said:

I doubt it. The availability of the Birds set in the USA has no influence on the supply & demand here in The Netherlands. Currently there are 4 offers for a Birds set on Marktplaats, with the cheapest on offer for €82,50 and the highest offered for €97,99. Even with supply diminishing, the demand for it doesn't make it rise above €100 for now and foreseeable future. Possibly in a few years from now the set will be so exclusive that it will reach 3x RRP. But without unique (printed) bricks or minifigs in this set, the only collectable part of Birds will ever be the box and the manual.

Now, for Ecto-1 I think it will do fine after the casual Lego-resellers have sold off their stashes with minimal profits. Will just take time... :) 

????

Do you see any problems to order one from USA at 60 Euro incl. shipping without paying any EU duties for such a small amount?

In today times the global economy plays a huge role - therefore this fact described by me above has a big influence in my eyes also for the EU market.

Edited by mauro23

5 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

????

Do you see any problems to order one from USA at 60 Euro incl. shipping without paying any EU duties for such a small amount?

In today times the global economy plays a huge role - therefore this fact described by me above has a big influence in my eyes also for the EU market.

Ha ha ha, that's not a problem for me, but there are still many (potential) buyers in The Netherlands who don't even know they could buy Lego from LEGO Shop at Home directly. Since there is no fysical Lego store in The Netherlands and the LEGO Shop at Home site is not widely known, the Lego exclusive sets (Ideas sets, seasonal promos, etc) are on relative short supply on Marktplaats. There's also a reluctance for many Dutch buyers to pay with a credit-card. That's even the reason why Lego offers to Dutch buyers the option to pay after you have received the order from LEGO Shop at Home ! This reluctance to use a credit-card also hinders them to buy from Amazon (DE / UK) and miss out on some really good offers. 

5 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

????

Where do you see a problem to order one from USA at 60 Euro incl. shipping without paying any EU duties for such a small amount?

Buying from the US is rarely cheaper over here. You have to pay 21% tax for items worth more than 22€, plus there's a 15€ handling fee. Buying an Ecto-1 for 60€ in the US would cost me an additional 27.60€. Total would be 87.60€.

Until TTIP (or whatever it's called these days) is ratified, I don't see the US as a competitor for the EU Lego reseller market.

It's the same reason why hardly anyone buys those minifigure boxes from Asian sellers on bricklink. Even though they are often 20-30% cheaper.

8 hours ago, Haay said:

But without unique (printed) bricks or minifigs in this set, the only collectable part of Birds will ever be the box and the manual.

There still are printed tiles with the zoological names of the birds.

8 hours ago, Haay said:

⚰️