Ideas #006: 21108 - Ghostbusters Ecto-1

Jeff Mack

Just now, cladner said:

depends on the market...

europe bricklink:

amazon USA:

currently:  $80 ($30 over MSRP),   6 months - $100 (2x MSRP),  1 year $120 , 2 year $140-150.

if i lived in europe and could only sell on bricklink, i wouldn't invest in LEGO.

You can still sell on Ebay...

• Like 2

Just now, mauro23 said:

You can still sell on Ebay...

all of the retirement updates that are posted by the turd king are using euro bricklink as the benchmark.  i am sure euro ebay is a viable market.  i am just pointing out that using european bricklink sales as barometer of the lego market tells a very small low volume side of the story.

6 minutes ago, cladner said:

all of the retirement updates that are posted by the turd king are using euro bricklink as the benchmark.  i am sure euro ebay is a viable market.  i am just pointing out that using european bricklink sales as barometer of the lego market tells a very small low volume side of the story.

That is only partially correct. Let's have a look on Mars Rovers on European AND US/CA market - very few sales in the last half year. But when you look at Ebay.de AND Ebay.com you will see several sales on higher price than the offers at BrickLink...

Edited by mauro23

Just now, mauro23 said:

That is only partially correct. Let's have a look on Mars Rovers on European AND US/CA market - very few sales in the last half year. But when you look at Ebay.de AND Ebay.com you will see several sales on higher price than the offers at BrickLink...

i didn't see a 2014 retirement analysis post anywhere so yes this set is certainly exceptional performer.  i am sure the euro lego market is not as dour as its made out to be otherwise you wouldn't be in the game.

1 hour ago, cladner said:

i didn't see a 2014 retirement analysis post anywhere so yes this set is certainly exceptional performer.  i am sure the euro lego market is not as dour as its made out to be otherwise you wouldn't be in the game.

I believe MR is mentioned on the first page of the 2015 sets retirement thread when the OP started putting out stats.

In any case you are looking at about 1 sale per month in the 130 euros bracket with 18 listings.

The conclusion is indeed that BL is a turdy two-pot marketplace and is only good for providing meaningless stats that at least have no currency fluctuation built in!

Edited by Val-E
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Val-E said:

But for how long?

The other Ecto is still on sale so that will provide some type of competition. I see sales taking off once all the GBHQ line is done.

On Halloween of this year, Stranger Things season 2 will debut on Netflix. The teaser trailer for the new season has the main characters running around in Ghostbusters outfits.... Just saying.

Just now, BearCrash said:

On Halloween of this year, Stranger Things season 2 will debut on Netflix. The teaser trailer for the new season has the main characters running around in Ghostbusters outfits.... Just saying.

If you are basing your investment strategy on that then good luck!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

Most people who have serious interest in 21108 have almost ZERO interest in 75828.

But those who like GBHQ do, right? That´s why I said in the sentence after that prices will rise when GBHQ also becomes a collecctor´s item. If the whole line goes later this year, which is what I expect, then prices of Ecto 1 21108 should start to climb next year and the initital stock of flippers will be less too.

Please post your seal codes the lucky ones who ordered today. @Sprocket77 for example. It would be good to know when they stopped making it.

Edited by Val-E

I don't think GBHQ plays into the equation hardly at all. I liken it to BTTF 21103. It didn't need anything else to drive value and there are enough casual fans that will purchase Ecto-1 by itself and have little interest in GBHQ.

I'm also not sure if those buying GBHQ have much interest in Ecto 1-2.

Novelty and remembrance will drive Ecto-1. Ecto 1-2 delivers neither. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Furious_george said:

I'm betting it will get one more go at life for an hour or two, then gone. 

Yeah, bet one a few returns coming in sometime in the next few weeks. It´s already up on RRP at bricklink but there is a huge glut of stock to work through.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
39 minutes ago, grabbitfast said:

The ecto 1 oozes class and originality its replacement looks like a trash can in comparison,stockpiled or not this is one set I am holding on to for as long as possible.

Don't be too greedy as we all now know that some sets can drop sharpy once they've peaked. Set yourself a target and sell when ready ;-)

There's a huge amount being resold now so I think we have a year before sustained growth.

Guest TabbyBoy
6 minutes ago, Furious_george said:

81 listings on eBay. 

Yikes.

Yep, those impatient sellers will be making a lot less money on them than I will be. I learnt my lesson with the Delorean & Mars Rover, never again!

Edited by TabbyBoy