Ideas #006: 21108 - Ghostbusters Ecto-1

Jeff Mack

I am new so my opinion is worth what you pay for it but when I go to my Lego store there are a LOT of Back to the futures sitting there. I have a hard time believing that there won't e plenty of these to go around. Those who want this will get it right away. I have a hard time seeing growth potential on this.

I am new so my opinion is worth what you pay for it but when I go to my Lego store there are a LOT of Back to the futures sitting there. I have a hard time believing that there won't e plenty of these to go around. Those who want this will get it right away. I have a hard time seeing growth potential on this.

Most of us talking about grabbing this set on day 1 want it to build and display, with a slight chance of flipping if it goes OOS.

• Like 1

Most of us talking about grabbing this set on day 1 want it to build and display, with a slight chance of flipping if it goes OOS.

I think (hope) this may dry up around the holidays ala dolphin last year. It's going to be really popular, even outside of regular lego buyers.

I think (hope) this may dry up around the holidays ala dolphin last year. It's going to be really popular, even outside of regular lego buyers.

My guess is that it will sell out very quickly after it's release, giving some people time to flip them. I also see a shortage around Christmas which would be another time to flip them. I really hopes this happens, because I'm buy at least a few of these sets when they come out.

• Like 3

Saying that, there's been that little UK info on it I'm starting to panic they'll do something stupid like a US only release...

I have phone conversation with one of Glasgow Lego Store employees (dont know his store position) he told me that 21108 will be available very soon. So looks like no worries here.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Brickpicker mobile app

This set will do well long term. It is an iconic movie that will be popular years from now. My worry is that they may continue to produce this set for years similar to Architecture sets. Buying now at a good discount is a no brainer in my opinion. It's just a matter of how long you are going to have to hold onto it before selling.

This set will do well long term. It is an iconic movie that will be popular years from now. My worry is that they may continue to produce this set for years similar to Architecture sets. Buying now at a good discount is a no brainer in my opinion. It's just a matter of how long you are going to have to hold onto it before selling.

Cuusoo/Ideas sets generally don't have a very long production run do they? Surely this will have to go after a year or two unless they want to expand the number of Ideas sets available at any one time.

I would think they have to bring out a couple of new Ideas sets every year, or else the whole concept just loses momentum.

I can't see this set going for any more than 2 years, plenty of time for anyone who wants one now to get one, then sales should slow down. Then I would think they will have nice a collectable value down the road after it's retired.

Or is that just wishful thinking?

Here's my strategy for this set.  You could call it a "mini blog."  Not quite enough information for a blog post, yet still good info, so I am posting it here.

I am going to buy two at midnight on June 1st.  Some people will buy many more, but I am a small-scale investor.  I am going to open, build, and enjoy one, and I will keep the other sealed.  If it goes out of stock quickly on LEGO Shop at Home, I will flip the sealed set and sell some of the minifigures from the one I opened to make up for what I paid for it.  I am hoping to sell the minifigs at $10-$15 USD to make up for the cost of the Ecto-1, which I am planning on keeping.

If this set does not sell out quickly on LEGO Shop at Home, it will still be popular.  If that is the case, I will open the sealed set and part it out.  I highly doubt this will happen, though, because of my experiences with other CUUSOO sets.  Minecraft sold out quickly.  So did the Delorean.  By then, it seemed that LEGO would have learned their lesson and upped the production limit for the Curiosity Rover, but the Curiosity Rover also sold out quickly.

Even if LEGO decided to bump up the production limit for the Ecto-1, it would still sell out eventually.  Ghostbusters has a huge fan base.  Even kids that have never heard of Ghostbusters will still want this set because one of their friends has it.

I have to admit that I have never watched Ghostbusters and know very little about it, (other than that it is popular,) yet I am still planning on buying it.  Why?  Because of the design.  I enjoy building cars and vehicles with advanced building techniques, and this set matches this description perfectly.  I would bet that I am not the only one buying this set without being a Ghostbusters fan.

Minecraft is known as one of the best sets to flip of all time, yet its design was not very impressive.  The reason the set was so popular was because Minecraft was popular.  People that did not know what Minecraft was would not buy the set for the design.  Here is how I classified the types of buyers of Minecraft:

1.  Fans of Minecraft

2.  LEGO collectors that need every single set

3.  People who bought it because it's popular

The list looks similar for peeps who will be buying the Ecto-1:

1.  Fans of Ghostbusters

2.  LEGO collectors that need every single set

3.  People who will buy it because it's popular

4.  Minifigure collectors that want only the minifigures

5.  LEGO collectors that like the design <--- (That's me.)   :thumbsup:

The first three types of buyers on both lists are the same, yet the Ghostbusters list has two more important types of buyers.  Minecraft did not have any minifigures; the Ecto-1 does.  Minecraft did not that great of a design; this set does.

So, I have a feeling that this set will possibly be as popular, or even more popular, than 21102 Minecraft.

In conclusion, my advice is to at least buy one of this set right when it comes out.  If you don't, you will be kicking yourself. :banghead:   

• Like 1

By then, it seemed that LEGO would have learned their lesson and upped the production limit for the Curiosity Rover, but the Curiosity Rover also sold out quickly.

I don't think you can make any comparisons to the Rover. LG said from the beginning that it was a limited edition set. Assuming that they stick to this and it doesn't come back it was only available for about 3-4 months on and off. I think it will behave similar to the Delorean. It will probably sell out initially but they will have plenty by the Christmas season. I'm buying as many as I can on June 1 with the intention of flipping all of them. I will get one for myself later.

I don't think you can make any comparisons to the Rover. LG said from the beginning that it was a limited edition set. Assuming that they stick to this and it doesn't come back it was only available for about 3-4 months on and off. I think it will behave similar to the Delorean. It will probably sell out initially but they will have plenty by the Christmas season. I'm buying as many as I can on June 1 with the intention of flipping all of them. I will get one for myself later.

We did know that it was a limited edition set, but we did not know how limited it was supposed to be.  I agree with you that it will be similar to the Delorean.  I would also be getting an Ecto-1 for my personal collection later, but I am itching to build this set.

As I've said before, I don't think sets like Minecraft, and now the Ecto-1 will be limited like other CUUSOO/Ideas sets, too many people want them, and LEGO would simply just loose out on a great chunk of cash if they didn't make more. The Exo Suit may be a limited run, but others such as the Delorrean will have a longer shelf run and life than the typical LEGO set, and have a run more like some of the more prominent Architecture sets.

LEGO just simply underestimated the power of CUUSOO and fan projects, if they hadn't, why only have a 10,000 intial amount of a set from a very popular game? TLG is like an old man who won't change his policies unless it's shown to benefit them. While I don't think these sets will be available forever, I do think that the minute the sales of these sets decline or they don't sell X units by Y time then they won't produce more sets and just try to sell off the ones already produced.

All and all, if you think that they're going to retire sooner than later, buy them up, and if it's something I miss out on, my mistake.

According to the website lego shop at home, this set is an exclusive, but I am sure I've heard people saying other outlets may be getting it. Could it be that Lego store and shop at home are the only two retailers of this set, at least initially?

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker