My 99 Set Collection

So reading through this forum topic has kind of depressed me haha. None of you guys seem to be into Bionicles all that much. And the few of you who have sets have the newer ones (year 2006 on). Well, I'm here to say that Bionicle fans do in fact exist and in mass. In fact, I recently saw lego investing has an actual opportunity after I unearthed my collection. 99 sets spanning from 2001 to 2004/2005. It is pretty much a complete collection of sets from those years. Here are the lego numbers: : 8811, 8594, 8595, 8621, 1390, 1392, 1393, 8531, 8532, 8533, 8534, 8535, 8536, 8537, 8538, 8539, 8540, 8541, 8542, 8543, 8544, 8545, 8548, 8549, 10023, 8550, 8551, 8552, 8553, 8554, 8555, 8556, 8557, 8558, 8560, 8561, 8562, 8563, 8564, 8565, 8566, 8567, 8568, 8570, 8571, 8572, 8573, 8574, 8575, 8576, 8577, 8578, 8581, 8582, 8583, 8584, 8585, 8586, 8587, 8588, 8589, 8590, 8591, 8592, 8593, 8596, 8601, 8602, 8603, 8604, 8605, 8606, 8607, 8608, 8609, 8610, 8611, 8612, 8614, 8615, 8616, 8617, 8618, 8619, 8622, 8623, 4868, 4869, 4870, 4877, 4878, 4879, 8736, 8737, 8738, 8739, 8740, 8741. I'd say 1/5 of the sets are MISB. And what's awesome is that even the used models have all seemed to appreciate! What do you guys think?

I happen to disagree with you guys on this one, and not just because I have so many sets. What you fail to realize is that I grew up with these figures and the Bionicle theme. They started coming out in 2001, when I was in 1st/2nd grade. This means that every set I own was basically given to me as a gift at Christmases and birthdays. For me, the sale of these sets represents 100% profit.

Also, the Bionicle theme as a massive fan base. The theme spanned nearly a decade and included video games, movies, books, and a widely popular comic series. Not only that, but many people credit Bionicle with single handedly saving Lego from financial ruin after dismal 90's sales. Greg Farshtey, the author of the Bionicle series, is also currently working on multiple new Bionicle serials.

I have a hunch that the Bionicle series will be resurrected at some point in the future.

Lastly, I am in the process of building reputations within a few online Bionicle communities that have independent marketplaces. I've found that many of the people on these sites are relative newcomers to the theme and have not had a chance to acquire original sets. Selling to these communities, who represent the collector niche, will allow me to net maximum profit. If I find that selling in this mode is too hard, I will be selling from an ebay/amazon store devoted solely to the Bionicle theme which will give me more credibility directly from the start.

As you can tell, I've done my fair share of market research and I believe that I will net between $1,500 and $2,200 for all of the sets. You guys are too pessimistic about this awesome theme! :)

I happen to disagree with you guys on this one, and not just because I have so many sets. What you fail to realize is that I grew up with these figures and the Bionicle theme. They started coming out in 2001, when I was in 1st/2nd grade. This means that every set I own was basically given to me as a gift at Christmases and birthdays. For me, the sale of these sets represents 100% profit.

Also, the Bionicle theme as a massive fan base. The theme spanned nearly a decade and included video games, movies, books, and a widely popular comic series. Not only that, but many people credit Bionicle with single handedly saving Lego from financial ruin after dismal 90's sales. Greg Farshtey, the author of the Bionicle series, is also currently working on multiple new Bionicle serials.

I have a hunch that the Bionicle series will be resurrected at some point in the future.

Lastly, I am in the process of building reputations within a few online Bionicle communities that have independent marketplaces. I've found that many of the people on these sites are relative newcomers to the theme and have not had a chance to acquire original sets. Selling to these communities, who represent the collector niche, will allow me to net maximum profit. If I find that selling in this mode is too hard, I will be selling from an ebay/amazon store devoted solely to the Bionicle theme which will give me more credibility directly from the start.

As you can tell, I've done my fair share of market research and I believe that I will net between $1,500 and $2,200 for all of the sets. You guys are too pessimistic about this awesome theme! :)

Not trying to start anything, but Bionicle was possibly my least favorite theme as a kid. I considered them action figures, not Lego.

Then let us know when any of your sets reach Millenium Falcons 7999$ sell (1 set) :)

I doubt Bionicle will be rebooted... they did not rock too much nor in popularity neither in sales as far as i managed to read, I might be wrong but so can everyone be ;)

Then let us know when any of your sets reach Millenium Falcons 7999$ sell (1 set) :)

I doubt Bionicle will be rebooted... they did not rock too much nor in popularity neither in sales as far as i managed to read, I might be wrong but so can everyone be ;)

Never once said I could get that much, Alcarin. I said $1,500 to $2,200 for all 99 sets. And I do believe they were popular. 286 sets, 100's of comic books, 30+ novels, 9+ years, 7 video games, 4 movies, 2 McDonald's promotions. The McDonald's promotions themselves show exactly how popular this Lego theme was.

Not trying to start anything, but Bionicle was possibly my least favorite theme as a kid. I considered them action figures, not Lego.

And spener90, that's exactly what makes Bionicles valuable to this day. The kids like you who maybe had a few sets and realized they could not use the bricks in the same way as classic bricks forgot about them and let them fall to the bottom of the "Lego storage container" that we all had. Many kids played with their Bionicle sets after building them causing problems such as lost pieces and damage. I on the other hand, was not necessarily a creative kid. I never participated in MOCs. I built Bionicles and displayed them, which kept the bricks in Mint condition.

Bionicles are perhaps truly the first Lego theme MADE for collecting. The mentality of Lego consumers however was one of play. This depreciated the value of their sets.

Many times, when people grow old, they collect the things that they had as children. For a vast majority of kids, that was Bionicle.

And seriously, I take absolutely no offense or anything to any of these comments! I love having this discussion with like-minded Lego connoisseurs. I just don't understand why the theme gets so much hate around here! haha :D

But I don't think you guys have a valid argument necessarily either. I mentioned in my second post on this thread that I am currently involved with Bionicle specific communities online. I am trying to sell to them first, which I doubt (could be wrong, I'm going by this forum topic) anyone else on this forum with Bionicle sets has attempted to do. This is unexplored territory.

Second, I also mentioned that, for myself, these sets were not direct investments. I collected Bionicles through asking for them for gifts. When I sell, I will make 100% pure, unadulterated profit. As an investment (though not your typical "I put this much in/ I'll get this much back), it is superb.

That's what I feel this website and forum is about. Individual investments. All investments are not black and white. Mine certainly is not.

I bought a 35 pound container a few months back and it had a significant amount of Bionicle or Hero Factory (can't tell them apart) in it. It's not my thing, but I can see how some people would like it. One of my Walmarts actually has quite a bit of Hero Factory on clearance now but the reason I won't buy them for investing purposes is because I typically tend to buy sets I like, even for investing, so that in the event they end up being duds, I can just open and build them. With these sets I'm just really into that. But as you said, there is probably a decent sized audience out there for this stuff.

But I don't think you guys have a valid argument necessarily either. I mentioned in my second post on this thread that I am currently involved with Bionicle specific communities online. I am trying to sell to them first, which I doubt (could be wrong, I'm going by this forum topic) anyone else on this forum with Bionicle sets has attempted to do. This is unexplored territory.

Second, I also mentioned that, for myself, these sets were not direct investments. I collected Bionicles through asking for them for gifts. When I sell, I will make 100% pure, unadulterated profit. As an investment (though not your typical "I put this much in/ I'll get this much back), it is superb.

That's what I feel this website and forum is about. Individual investments. All investments are not black and white. Mine certainly is not.

It is about investments, if you think Bionicle is the best investment out there then more power to you. I am just telling you that the numbers say otherwise. No disrespect intended but I'm think the Bionicle forums you frequent may have clouded your judgment. Its your choice to think that its the best and most profitable theme around but I challenge to look at the data from all themes, its far from the most profitable theme out there. Sorry if you take that as us hating on it.

I understand that the sets were given to you so everything you make from selling them is 100% profit but overall that's not how Lego investing works. Most of us have put our own capital in expecting to make more money. This is an example of what you are saying but using the stock market instead......a family member passes away and leave me X amount of shares in X company. The stocks does average in the following year after it was willed to me. Is it the greatest performing stock of all time? Absolutely not. Are people gonna go out and buy that stock up because I am making 100% profit on it? Nope! We invest in LEGO sets because of how they do overall, not how they perform to individuals. When you sell your Bionicle would you put that money in nothing but bionicle? Sure you can, but it would be a horrible decision. The bottom line once again is that you are claiming bioncle to be a great investment, if you put your own money into it and saw what came out you would see its not.

I'd rather not pick any fights here but I spit water out my nose when I read you stating that Bionicle saved Lego. Bionicle deviates significantly from traditional lego parts and designs, with most lego sets, I can take them apart and piece any of them together willy nilly, bionicle parts don't interchange well with traditional lego bricks, mostly just other bionicles. I would honestly LOVE it if bionicle did really well in the secondary market because it is by far the most discarded and gotten rid of lego theme, they are passed along like old mega bloks. I can search my thrift stores week in and week out for lego deals and find naught but tubs of bionicle in there. Selling them on ebay is very tough, while there may be SOME bionicle lovers out there, the fan base is very small compared to the rest of the sets we sell and as such, they tend to not fetch very good prices. If you think you can carve out a niche in that market, then great, more power to you, I have tried to just offload the stuff that has come in some of my bulk buys and they haven't gone for the cost to ship them. You obviously are convinced that you can do this profitably and admit to knowing more about it than us, why are you trying to discuss it except to say that you think it will work and perform well?

I'm not so sure that Bionicle can be written off as an investment. It has a decent CAGR by theme that is above the average. I think there are a few gems in there and I'm sure some specific sets have hit 20% returns per annum. But like any theme, there are good sets and poor ones. I'm not sure investing in them right now would be wise given that they can't be had at retail, so no discounts. You'd be banking on the current returns continuing. However if you got them at retail and are sitting on them then there is value in quite a few of them and from a pure investment standpoint I'd be selling them now and putting those funds into sets that will perform better going forward.

I'd rather not pick any fights here but I spit water out my nose when I read you stating that Bionicle saved Lego.

Sorry, he's right. Bionicle is credited as a major reason, if not THE reason, why Lego was able to survive its early 2000's swoon.

It is about investments, if you think Bionicle is the best investment out there then more power to you. I am just telling you that the numbers say otherwise. No disrespect intended but I'm think the Bionicle forums you frequent may have clouded your judgment. Its your choice to think that its the best and most profitable theme around but I challenge to look at the data from all themes, its far from the most profitable theme out there. Sorry if you take that as us hating on it.

Never once did I say anything about Bionicle being the best investment. Not one single time.

What I did say however, was that I have 99 Bionicle sets, believe I can get between $1,500 and $2,200, and that not all investments are created equal. Nothing has clouded my judgement Stephen. I am not claiming any amazing gains (ie. WOAH I JUST SOLD THIS ONE SET FOR $1000).

The bottom line once again is that you are claiming bioncle to be a great investment, if you put your own money into it and saw what came out you would see its not.

Most of my Bionicle sets, both new and used, have appreciated in value. Whether this appreciation is 2

I'm not so sure that Bionicle can be written off as an investment. It has a decent CAGR by theme that is above the average. I think there are a few gems in there and I'm sure some specific sets have hit 20% returns per annum. But like any theme, there are good sets and poor ones. I'm not sure investing in them right now would be wise given that they can't be had at retail, so no discounts. You'd be banking on the current returns continuing. However if you got them at retail and are sitting on them then there is value in quite a few of them and from a pure investment standpoint I'd be selling them now and putting those funds into sets that will perform better going forward.

I am currently in the process of selling my Bionicles off and picking up newer sets! :)

Sorry, he's right. Bionicle is credited as a major reason, if not THE reason, why Lego was able to survive its early 2000's swoon.

Glad somebody else also knows about what Bionicle truly did for Lego!

Where's Blackjack when you need him? He's the only other person I've ever heard cheering for Bionicle. I've had some luck selling some of the larger bionicle sets, like the skorpio. Only, i listed them as Technic bulk lots lol. Anyway, good luck selling your collection. Get all that money and put it into LOTR or Creator Expert.

Where's Blackjack when you need him? He's the only other person I've ever heard cheering for Bionicle. I've had some luck selling some of the larger bionicle sets, like the skorpio. Only, i listed them as Technic bulk lots lol. Anyway, good luck selling your collection. Get all that money and put it into LOTR or Creator Expert.

Present. :coolmad: I back up the statement that Bionicle is one of the coolest themes ever, even though I'm dedicated to SW, but I've looked at the numbers, and don't hold most of the sets up as great investment winners. They're much better display pieces than investments, and if you have them used, then I would treat them as such.

Present. :coolmad: I back up the statement that Bionicle is one of the coolest themes ever, even though I'm dedicated to SW, but I've looked at the numbers, and don't hold most of the sets up as great investment winners. They're much better display pieces than investments, and if you have them used, then I would treat them as such.

I've actually created an entire spread sheet with my Bionicle inventory with both used and new price columns as well as CAGR. I agree with you Blackjack, many of them have not performed spectacularly. At the same time though I was shocked to see some of the numbers. Only two of of the sets I own have negative CAGRs and they were by like .02%. Glad to see others with interests in the Bionicle theme! I've lurked your thread topics for some time before deciding to join!