Lord Of The Rings Ambush Pirate Ship & Black Gate at Toys R US

Guest eightbrick

In have zero interest in the LOTR theme......but the ship will be a winner!

I wonder if the pirate ship status will help cancel out the ship's relative unimportance in the films....

In have zero interest in the LOTR theme......but the ship will be a winner!

Possibly. The ship itself reminds me of the Destiny's Bounty. In other words, it has sails, but it doesn't really look like a typical "Pirate" ship. If you know what I mean. DB has done pretty well in the aftermarket, but that's also with a hit kid's show.

I wonder if the pirate ship status will help cancel out the ship's relative unimportance in the films....

Remember it also has very cool and exclusive minifigs, most notably the Ghost King.

Very true. Minifigs will drive value here, as we have likely seen with other LOTR sets.

• 2 weeks later...

+1

In the long run, it should do as well as the Black Pearl (if not better).

Nice optimism there....

I think this pirate ship is for Black Pearl, Queen Anns Revenge, Imperial Flagship etc. as much a pirate ship as Ghost train from Monster Fighters theme is a train compared to Maersk, Emerald night etc...

We shall see however I believe this ship will do the worst compared to ships mentioned above.

Remember Alcarin, we havn't seen what the Ghost Train does after EOL yet... Both POTC ships did crappily while available in stores. Don't judge the set until we've seen its returns!

Noone judged, I wrote my opinion 

look at Ghost train and then look at Maersk train and tell me which one is a train by name and which one is truly a train ;)

It goes same for Pirate ship... 

Majority of buyers (outside LOTR fans) will easily say Queen Ann's Revenge easily beats Pirate ship in terms of design (as do most ships)

But dont get me wrong I like the ship and will eventually be useful in my arsenal but its nothing special. without Army of the Dead this would be the worst set of 2013 (compared to expectance)

I don't know if comparing Ghost Train to the POTC boats is very useful. They were totally different price points. The Ghost Train also doesn't contain a single exclusive minifig, isn't part of an established franchise, and isn't a boat. All these factors were driving sales on TBP and QAR.

I got myself a couple Ghost Trains just to ensure if they take off I got a couple, but I literally passed on 7 Ghost Trains at $30.00 a box because I am not confident that the return will be worth the amount of time I'd have to tie up the funds that I'd rather use on the impending LOTR first wave clearance.

• Like 1

get with the program man we don't do +1s anymore we do the arrow up or down in the lower right hand corner ;)

Yo Stephen, check out the date on his post. It was made a week before the new forum update went into effect.

He couldn't have used a feature not yet available.

• Like 4

I don't know if comparing Ghost Train to the POTC boats is very useful. They were totally different price points. The Ghost Train also doesn't contain a single exclusive minifig, isn't part of an established franchise, and isn't a boat. All these factors were driving sales on TBP and QAR.

I got myself a couple Ghost Trains just to ensure if they take off I got a couple, but I literally passed on 7 Ghost Trains at $30.00 a box because I am not confident that the return will be worth the amount of time I'd have to tie up the funds that I'd rather use on the impending LOTR first wave clearance.

Black Pearl Retail = 99$

Ghost train Retail = 79$

its a 20$ difference.

And even then I did not compare them directly, but  relatively... I explained that if you look at Maersk Train and Ghost train and say yourself which one is TRULY a train and which one is only train by set name.

Its the same checking Black Pearl and then Pirate Ship and say which one is Pirate ship and which one is Pirate ship by name. I am sure Pirate ship ambush will give returns, but I doubt that it would ever reach Imperial Flagship Black Pearl or anything similar in terms of NET returns.

I hope you are right, since I will buy ONE but thats about it ;)