Making My First Large Run!

Hey guys. So tomorrow (5/20/13) I'll be making my first major Lego run. I live in NJ and close to NYC so the stores around me do not have any crazy clearance sales ever. The county I live in however has Blue Laws in effect, which means stores are not open on Sundays. This is nice because the circulars and sales are posted on Sundays but nobody can shop until Monday. It gives me time to really check for good sales. Anyway, I've got between $500 and $700 to spend. I'll be trying to get some MF sets as well as some LOTR sets. Many of the stores have discounted SW sets (A-wing being the most prominent; 28% off) this week. Should I pick up some SW sets like this? Also, what other sets do you guys think I should definitely check out? I'm looking to diversify my brickfolio, so check my signature badge to see my numbers. Thanks for the help!

I think both MF and LOTR sets are a great place to start. If you can find good deals on them you'll do fine. Star Wars is the tried and true theme with more winners than I can even count. I'm sure your going to get diverse opinions on where to spend your money but I personally don't invest heavily into smaller sets like the A-Wing, rather focus on larger sets. Again that's just what I do and by no means is it the only way to approach investing.

When you make purchases I would advise you to do the following. Every set you purchase should meet 2 criteria to be put in the shopping cart. 1. You have to LIKE the set and would love to keep it if it fails to grow in value 2. It has to be atleast 15% below MSRP*** (this does not count for some special sets liek Modulars or upcoming Orthanc) If these 2 criteria are not met I would advise you huge caution and not buying sets just all over.

When you make purchases I would advise you to do the following.

Every set you purchase should meet 2 criteria to be put in the shopping cart.

1. You have to LIKE the set and would love to keep it if it fails to grow in value2. It has to be atleast 15% below MSRP*** (this does not count for some special sets liek Modulars or upcoming Orthanc)

If these 2 criteria are not met I would advise you huge caution and not buying sets just all over.

+1. Get sets that you yourself would build.

When you make purchases I would advise you to do the following.

Every set you purchase should meet 2 criteria to be put in the shopping cart.

1. You have to LIKE the set and would love to keep it if it fails to grow in value

2. It has to be atleast 15% below MSRP*** (this does not count for some special sets liek Modulars or upcoming Orthanc)

If these 2 criteria are not met I would advise you huge caution and not buying sets just all over.

Yep! Collecting various things runs in my family. I was brought up with the number one magic rule of "Buy what you LIKE" (This is why I actually bought beanie babies...lol). Buying things to specifically collect them is a nono.

Also, I think I'm trying to spend this round of money on sets that I can flip in a short amount of time. Since I'm fairly new at collecting legos, I want to raise some capital. EOLs will play an important role in my decision.

I had no idea what blue laws were and just read up on it in Wikipedia...don't mean to derail this thread but it's pretty sad that things such as this still exist in some places. I know everyone has different religious opinions so I'm not going to try to start an ethical debate about it....but man. If an establishment like chick fil a wants to be closed on a Sunday due to their own views, I can fully respect that, but being forced to be closed just isn't right in my opinion.

I had no idea what blue laws were and just read up on it in Wikipedia...don't mean to derail this thread but it's pretty sad that things such as this still exist in some places. I know everyone has different religious opinions so I'm not going to try to start an ethical debate about it....but man. If an establishment like chick fil a wants to be closed on a Sunday due to their own views, I can fully respect that, but being forced to be closed just isn't right in my opinion.

I live in Bergen County, the 5th richest county in the USA, The closest NJ county to New York City, and the reason why NJ is the most densely populated state. It's also one of the most liberal places ever. At this point, the Blue Laws are still in effect for congestion/competition/overall hectic nature of the region. There is no religious connotation to it at all. It can be inconvenient, but its very relaxing!

sorry for derailing this topic even more but..how many times have you forgotten chick fil a is closed on Sundays and been beyond dissapointed when you drive up and its closed >.<

The only way to make money flipping is to find sets at amazing discounts. Otherwise its a waiting game.

Exactly...

Example:

You find LOTR set on retail, the set EOLs in 2 months, yet you still have to wait 1 year to sell it for decent profit

You find other set for 30% off EOLs in 7 months sell it in 9 months for decent profit.

Its not always about EOL but also Value input.

sorry for derailing this topic even more but..how many times have you forgotten chick fil a is closed on Sundays and been beyond dissapointed when you drive up and its closed >.<

Indeed....waking up on a Sunday wanting that breakfast platter then realizing you can't buy it....lol.

Exactly...

Example:

You find LOTR set on retail, the set EOLs in 2 months, yet you still have to wait 1 year to sell it for decent profit

You find other set for 30% off EOLs in 7 months sell it in 9 months for decent profit.

I got Helm's deep for $99 and Uruk-Hai army for $20. When I say "flipping the sets", I really mean I want to buy a bunch of sets that are close to EOL so they will appreciate the quickest. I'm not necessarily looking for huge gains with this wave of buys but just some modest returns to fuel future purchases.

Most sets do not shoot up in value right after EOL. They slowly gain a little over months. The two that come to mind that shot up quickly were the Imperial Shuttle and The Maersk Train. This is not the case overall. HP Diagon Alley I thought for sure would shoot up higher than it has. It really makes no difference to me because my approach is long term, I store sets for 2-3 years then sell. I have never flipped a set, but there are many people who do nothing but flip. By the way how are you gonna sell, eBay??

Exactly...

Example:

I got Helm's deep for $99 and Uruk-Hai army for $20. When I say "flipping the sets", I really mean I want to buy a bunch of sets that are close to EOL so they will appreciate the quickest. I'm not necessarily looking for huge gains with this wave of buys but just some modest returns to fuel future purchases.

Helm's Deep at your value is LONG TERM... as wait for atleast until year 2015....

Uruk-hai Army you can sell at Christmas for atleast 35-40$ but then Ebay+paypal take 14% you're down to like 12$ +/- net profit which barely cuts it as profit in my book.

What's everyone's opinion on the City sets? Pretty sure they are decently discounted this week.

The only City sets that are worth thinking of getting are those that were not released before which makes it less likely to be released again...

so no Stations (Fire, Police etc.) and no generic stuff that gets re-released every 4-6 years...

Example (Museum robbery set, forgot the actual set name) That set might rock after EOL since its the only of its kind

I also think the museum break in will do good......my only issue is that it is very new. exobro, what do think of the Techic sets??

I've never really been a fan of the generic technic sets (ie. vehicles, ect.). However, this year's sets have some good ones I think. 42004 mini backhoe loader, 42006 excavator, and 42009 mobile crane mk II will do very well in the secondary market I believe. They have more plastic technic bricks compared to connectors and have some really interesting molded pieces.