Questions about box damage and tape seals

Here is the post I did yesterday about box condition which offers some feedback. http://www.brickpicker.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/1241/ I feel that for a $220 set you should get an undamaged box from Amazon. I have sent many back already because of similar issues and received ones in better condition. Although some times you get one that is even worse. I don't think Amazon treats any of these as "collectors" sets and instead treats them like a childs toy. I should post some of the photos I have of ones I have received from Amazon.

Here is a photo of 2 Haunted House sets I received from Amazon. These were absolutely unacceptable. I sent them back and received 2 new ones yesterday which are in much better shape but still not perfect. And before this sounds like I am bashing Amazon I want to be clear that I love Amazon. I have shopped with them for years and I will continue to do so. They have always been really good about returns and have great customer service. My experience has been that the larger sets seem to always be the ones with damage. And in my opinion it all comes down to packaging.

Wow that's horrible, Legodog - if I got box in that condition I would have sent it back too! My fear is if I send it back in, I'm going to end up getting a box in worst condition, and I honestly don't know how many Tower Bridges Amazon has in stock.. I'd hate for them to run out and I have the "runt" of the boxes. I'll think about it some more.. but I'm kind of inclined to keep this box as is. Edit: just noticed my set was packaged in exactly the same way too. Did your outer box (the brown packaging) arrive "caved in" as well? Not something I liked to see before opening it up.

On that one the outer box wasn't too bad so it was almost as if it was damaged before shipping but who knows. Others that I returned I could usually tell if the box was damaged in shipping or not by the shape of the outer box. The first tower bridge I received I returned to amazon because of poor box quality then I ended up ordering it from Target instead. Arrived in excellent condition. In my opinion Target's packaging is much better than Amazon. Nothing worse then getting your $200+ set from Amazon in a giant oversized box only to open it and find nothing but a tiny strip of brown paper for padding. At least Target used those bubble bag things.

On that one the outer box wasn't too bad so it was almost as if it was damaged before shipping but who knows. Others that I returned I could usually tell if the box was damaged in shipping or not by the shape of the outer box. The first tower bridge I received I returned to amazon because of poor box quality then I ended up ordering it from Target instead. Arrived in excellent condition. In my opinion Target's packaging is much better than Amazon. Nothing worse then getting your $200+ set from Amazon in a giant oversized box only to open it and find nothing but a tiny strip of brown paper for padding. At least Target used those bubble bag things.

Good to know (regarding better packaging at Target), thanks!

My shipments from Lego have occasionally had collapsed Lego boxes because of the over filling of the plastic balloon bags used in packing. I've paid a little attention lately and Lego uses a fulfillment and shipping company called PFSWeb which has warehouses around the country. I have had particularly bad shipments from a warehouse in Ohio. Luckily Lego doesn't give me any hassle returning items. All of the damaged items I have returned to Lego seemed to be damaged in packaging or shipping, mostly packaging. Amazon has its own fulfillment centers and does contract fulfillment for other companies. Amazon prides itself on low fulfillment costs and so I imagine there is a quota requirement the packagers need to meet (~ how many packages a day?). Most of my Amazon packages arrive with minimal or no packing inside the box. This works most of the time, but at least Amazon gives me no hassle returning items! It seems likely some fulfillment centers are better than others even though they are all Amazon's. While I haven't returned many items to Amazon I would guess half of the returns were clearly damage that occurred before it was packaged. At least I feel good about ordering from either because I know I can easily return damaged items.

I bought the first Lego set intended for investing/profit, Tower Bridge!

There is some scratches/scruffs, my wife thinks I should return it to Amazon for a better box. I looked at it and I don't think it really is bad at all. I am not really a "box snob" and I think this box will still be worth it when the Tower Bridge goes EOL.

I'm attaching pixs - I've marked the potential problems in red.

Anything to be concerned about? I'm thinking nah..

You are probably right. At this point, you don't know if what you will receive will be any better. The Tower Bridge is getting harder to find. Plus, the time wasted sending it back makes it a push to me.

My thoughts on this have already been stated but I will say it again........when paying the price for these huge sets or any price for any set for that matter, the set should be damage free period!! Who knows when or where these sets get damaged but here is the way see it A) it was either damaged before it was packed, in which case the retailer pretty much said F U we don't care we Already have your money.. or B) the shipping company damaged it and they are saying F U we don't care its not our stuff! Either is unacceptable to me, I work hard for my money and deserve a non damaged box!

I bought the first Lego set intended for investing/profit, Tower Bridge!

There is some scratches/scruffs, my wife thinks I should return it to Amazon for a better box. I looked at it and I don't think it really is bad at all. I am not really a "box snob" and I think this box will still be worth it when the Tower Bridge goes EOL.

I'm attaching pixs - I've marked the potential problems in red.

Anything to be concerned about? I'm thinking nah..

with Amazon they usually just ship another set out to you before you ever even send the damaged one back, so I say send it back and whichever one has the least damage keep it. At one point I had five (5) jabbas palace sets in my possession from amazon before I got one that had no damage.

Good point, didn't realize I could get another box and just send the "more damaged" box back - not like I'm going to be stuck with a even more damaged box. Contacted Amazon, and they were out of stock for Tower Bridges and instead, they gave us credit on our account due to damages to box. So I'm happy. We got nearly 30% off the retail price of the Tower Bridge. In the future, I'll go ahead and ask Amazon to send in replacement boxes so I can selectively keep the "best box" Thanks for the tips everyone!

I have sent back nearly a dozen different sets because of damage in the last couple months alone and it seems like others have done the same. Why doesn't Amazon wise up and just package these better. I can't imagine how much money this is costing them. Most likely $20 to ship the set in the first place and then $20 back to Amazon and then $20 to ship a new one. Then again I have seen photos and video of Amazons warehouses and distribution centers and maybe it is a miracle that the sets even arrive in the condition they do.

Wow I got my first order from Amazon.com (I'm from Quebec/Canada). Normally I can't order from US. My Super Star Destroyer was on my door in the snow and the top was half open... I was at home, the delivery guy never tried to ring The set is OK! but I'm really disappointed! I was lucky to work at home today.

Quick note on Amazon - I got a damaged box on an SSD I order (similar to the pics in this thread.) I used Amazon's customer chat feature and 10 minutes later got a 10% on the item (circa 33 bucks!) Its definitely worth a shot if you got your TB from Amazon Side story, my buddy send me a picture of the fire brigade he got from Walmart.com. They shipped the item to him in NO OUTBOX! The Fire Brigage was simply on his porch with a giant postage slip on it and marker writing on the box with some inventory internal walmart numbers! His second FB from Walmart came in an outer box from them but the lego set was completely open and no idea if it had all the bags or not. Regardless to say he is returning both and is done with Walmart.com orders!

Quick note on Amazon - I got a damaged box on an SSD I order (similar to the pics in this thread.)

I used Amazon's customer chat feature and 10 minutes later got a 10% on the item (circa 33 bucks!)

Its definitely worth a shot if you got your TB from Amazon

Side story, my buddy send me a picture of the fire brigade he got from Walmart.com. They shipped the item to him in NO OUTBOX! The Fire Brigage was simply on his porch with a giant postage slip on it and marker writing on the box with some inventory internal walmart numbers!

His second FB from Walmart came in an outer box from them but the lego set was completely open and no idea if it had all the bags or not.

Regardless to say he is returning both and is done with Walmart.com orders!

Dang about Walmart.com shipped orders. If I recall correctly, I read a thread somewhere here that mentions experience would vary, because there are Walmart distribution centers and it's not really consistent - some centers are good, others are not.

About getting some cash back due to damaged box - already done (I mentioned that in earlier reply). Overall, I got 30% off the full retail price of the set ($175 for a $249 set), so I'm happy ;)

Quick note on Amazon - I got a damaged box on an SSD I order (similar to the pics in this thread.)

I used Amazon's customer chat feature and 10 minutes later got a 10% on the item (circa 33 bucks!)

Its definitely worth a shot if you got your TB from Amazon

I contact the chat support (first time with amazon support), Great service! 30$ credit

I just received a Star Wars Republic Striker-class Starfighter (9497) from Kmart. This isn't a small set at 376 pieces and they shipped it in a large ENVELOPE! I hope this isn't a trend, as you look at the box the left side is caved in about 3 inches and the right side is caved in about half an inch, it is definitely going back!. It only cost me $29 but I wasn't planning on building this one! It is interesting the seals are still intact, barely.

Lucky for me, I walked through the Lego section at Wal-Mart tonight and they were unboxing two case fresh Millenium Falcons. I bought one and snagged the Lego box they came in for storage of the two I have. I'll return my opened MF without an issue. They are re-pricing these at $139.97, at least at this store. Glad I was able to snag my two for $79 and $90 a couple weeks ago.