Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit - general discussion

One theme to rule them all.  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two related themes holds a better value as an investment overall?

• Lord of the Rings
    • The Hobbit

Right, but...  How exactly do you "know" you will at least break even or make a profit in the future (especially after adjusting for inflation, or other costs like not being able to use your closet for clothes because it's full of LotR sets)?  This reminds me a little of my favorite quote from Cramer on CNBC: "When a stock has peaked, you have to sell."  Thanks man!  Now who's going to send me the memo when my stock peaks?

Well thats the risk you take investing. You may loose money but you try your best to pick the winners and time the market right, takes some luck but mainly skill and experience, its not for everyone.

One thing that can help is getting the sets below MSRP, as typically most decent sets will sell for at least MSRP when they retire so worst case scenarioafter you take into account fees and shipping you get your money back.

Right, but...  How exactly do you "know" you will at least break even or make a profit in the future (especially after adjusting for inflation, or other costs like not being able to use your closet for clothes because it's full of LotR sets)?  This reminds me a little of my favorite quote from Cramer on CNBC: "When a stock has peaked, you have to sell."  Thanks man!  Now who's going to send me the memo when my stock peaks?

It's not profitable because it is easy

He all ! 

I just read about this horrible horrid. I started buying the sets as an investment but the inner kid in me couldt help to build some of those amazing sets I could never afford as a kid ;)

I found this petition if you could sign and spread it so it maybe draws lego's attetion...

''There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope''

He all ! 

I just read about this horrible horrid. I started buying the sets as an investment but the inner kid in me couldt help to build some of those amazing sets I could never afford as a kid ;)

I found this petition if you could sign and spread it so it maybe draws lego's attetion...

bp_1410826483__say_what.jpg
  • Like 1

It's a matter of percentages.  If a set sits on my shelf for one year and has appreciated 20% or less from MSRP, I know that there is a much higher probability that I can pick a newer set that will appreciate faster than that set than there is of the set on my shelf now appreciating rapidly over the following 12 months. 

You might, but you also have the risk of those sets not appreciating. I'd at least wait and see what kind of returns LOTR can muster during the holiday season before totally giving up on the theme. This will be the first Helm's Deep Xmas run and should give investors a rough idea of potential demand out there.

You might, but you also have the risk of those sets not appreciating. I'd at least wait and see what kind of returns LOTR can muster during the holiday season before totally giving up on the theme. This will be the first Helm's Deep Xmas run and should give investors a rough idea of potential demand out there.

The prices I got all my LOTR sets for if it just goes 5% or so above msrp I double my money.

He all ! 

With a link it will be better.

http://www.change.org/p/save-lego-the-lord-of-the-rings#description

Welcome BTW. :)

Ow man, I made a complete fool of myself! I should't post anything that late and after too many smokes. Im sorry ;)

What I indeed try to say I found a petition but totally forgot to give a link. Ive invested a great deal on lotr sets and it would be a real shame if it was discomtinued, maybe the upcoming witchking set will be released to see if it sells well and after that continue with one last wave. I really hated to find that its probably discontinued..

After seeing how Lego mailed it in with the 3rd Hobbit wave, I have very little hope in any more LotR.  I had hoped for a small 4th wave or even a single D2C, but they pretty obviously spent as little time with this wave as possible and are ready to cut ties.  After the reveal of Unexpected Gathering, who would have thought that was the apex of the Hobbit line?

Or they put the people with the talent on the Guardians of the Galaxy line and their B Team took over the Hobbit sets.

• 3 weeks later...

After seeing the desolation of Smaug from the hobbit I've decided I'm out now on collecting any more Hobbit related sets.  I'll keep enough to have the collection of dwarves but man, that movie really turned me off.  Kind of like how I never got into collecting any of the Star Wars Clone Wars or prequel sets.  It's kind of relieving not to have a 'catch them all' mentality towards a theme.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Whoa! $600 US and counting, no quite Mr Gold high, but on it`s way. Crazy what people will pay for things, the funny thing is this is just a very small example of that haha. 

The LEGO AFOL in our house wants a Mr Gold and I said no way at the current prices.... We just have too many bills to pay to justify those kinds of costs for a teeny tiny minifig.

I think that if you've got the cash, this would be pretty cool... I'm expecting Ed Mack to post a picture of it once it arrives at his house. :)

• Like 2

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331354521480

Who's gonna bite? I'm looking at you trek!

Wow I REALLY REALLLY REALLLY REALLLY REALLY like this.

Did I say REALLY?

It will probably go too high for me.

So separately I have thought about selling my Lego Movie Tin for $650-750 or so that I got new in the box as while I was determined to collect one of every SKU of every Lego Movie and LOTR Hobbit Lego item whether it would be retail or custom items like this, there is a point where its not practical any more.  Just tell the new Skylanders Trap Team collectors about so many sku #'s to collect.

Now you come along and show me this thing.

Are you trying to be mean and nice at the same time? :) hehe

I doubt I will bid but I can only say I want to.

If it stays below $1,000 I'll consider, I bet it goes for substantially more and is beyond my reach.

I hope for the sake of the kids hospital it goes for $10,000 or more.

Wow I REALLY REALLLY REALLLY REALLLY REALLY like this.

Did I say REALLY?

It will probably go too high for me.

So separately I have thought about selling my Lego Movie Tin for $650-750 or so that I got new in the box as while I was determined to collect one of every SKU of every Lego Movie and LOTR Hobbit Lego item whether it would be retail or custom items like this, there is a point where its not practical any more.  Just tell the new Skylanders Trap Team collectors about so many sku #'s to collect.

Now you come along and show me this thing.

Are you trying to be mean and nice at the same time? :) hehe

I doubt I will bid but I can only say I want to.

If it stays below $1,000 I'll consider, I bet it goes for substantially more and is beyond my reach.

I hope for the sake of the kids hospital it goes for $10,000 or more.

Haha, no I just haven't had a like from you in a few days... Hoping to make the daily summary again too. ;)

Just kidding... it's definitely cool and thought I'd share as something more interesting than "should I buy 6,453 R2D2s or 4,312 R2s and 2,141 THs?".