Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit - general discussion

One theme to rule them all.  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these two related themes holds a better value as an investment overall?

• Lord of the Rings
    • The Hobbit

8 hours ago, fossilrock said:

I agree.  One thing i've noticed on amazon, especially is that the amount of resellers are thinning quite a bit over the last year.  Many have already cashed out and moved on.  So, as the years go by, these will become more scarce, although there are a lot of used sets on ebay that people can pick up. 

I have yet to move any of my LOTR/Hobbit stock and I think i'm going to keep them for a while.  I think we have one more year of sellers thinning out their stock before things really bounce up, and I think it will be a decent bounce up.  Once someone cracks open a set and only gets part of the fellowship, they'll want the rest.  Same with the Dwarves from the hobbit line. 

Indeed. A few months ago I got Thorin's Co by buying sealed sets and parting out the junk. Working on getting several sets of the Fellowship to finish out sets like Moria.

Edited by Copterman

8 hours ago, HappyHawkeye said:

Last summer when I first got into lego collecting/investing I slowly acquired one of every set from the LOTR and Hobbit themes. I secretly want these to stagnate so I have an excuse to open & build all of them :yes:

Do it. They are my favorite LEGO sets for sure.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Looks like these 2 themes could be getting some much needed secondary market demand.

=======

“Amazon has  greenlit one show that it hopes to rule them all.

The company has made a multi-season production commitment to a television adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien’s fantasy epic The Lord of the Rings.”

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-amazon-com-lord-of-the-rings/amazon-to-produce-lord-of-the-rings-television-series-idUSKBN1DD293

http://ew.com/tv/2017/11/13/lord-of-the-rings-tv-series/

• Like 4

3 hours ago, steelmelt said:

This is nothing but good news for LOTR sets.  Could there be remakes? Maybe, but it's more difficult with the licensing.  With Lego's troubles I think they let this go and it will be a boost for resales.

They will want to amortise that Smaug mould.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Val-E said:

One would hope they have more common sense but if they smell a cheap remake possibility, bets are off.

I would rather hope that they give LotR the Simpsons treatment: D2C only. It is obvious that kids don't care, but D2C definitely and maybe Minifigures would be snapped up. The failure was not due to the theme itself, but the wrong targeted audience.

Edited by inversion

• 5 years later...
7 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

so Does LEGO now use Brick Hdz as feelers for new set series ideas now?

seems weird that the first wave is so heavily Bhz

Seems to me that they would be the easiest to R&D and put together.  No playtesting and no real other holdups.  Just slap a box around it and weeeeeee

54 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:
5 hours ago, Pseudoty said:
There is a $500 D2C set rumored for March 1st. 

Lego is really going all in on this whole "$500 is the new $200" thing

Main stream Sets $200 and above:

2022 - 24

2021 - 19

2020 - 14

2019 - 12

2018 - 9

2017 - 10

2016 - 9

2015 - 8

2014 - 6

2013- 6

2012 - 3 and none over $200

2011 and all years prior 3 or less  

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2022 at 11:02 AM, Pseudoty said:

There is a $500 D2C set rumored for March 1st. 

The rumor is that it is a large Rivendell set.  I'm going to assume it will contain a plethora of minifigures and perhaps the entire fellowship.  This definitely will cause a spike in demand for old LOTR sets, because it doesn't sound like theres anymore coming other than those brickhead figures.  Looks like Lego is going to sucker me out of 500.00 soon.  Hopefully, we see pictures this month.    

• Like 1

13 hours ago, fossilrock said:

The rumor is that it is a large Rivendell set.  I'm going to assume it will contain a plethora of minifigures and perhaps the entire fellowship.  This definitely will cause a spike in demand for old LOTR sets, because it doesn't sound like theres anymore coming other than those brickhead figures.  Looks like Lego is going to sucker me out of 500.00 soon.  Hopefully, we see pictures this month.    

I think Rivendell including the entire fellowship will actually decrease some of the demand for the old sets that contained fellowship minifigs. 

Additionally, the LEGO.com page for the new sets mentions several things, including Rings of Power, which I’m not sure they can mention in advertising blurbs without expressed permission (and ROP is a separate license than the LOTR license they would have had). I think it’s very possible we see more LOTR sets and eventually ROP sets.

• 4 weeks later...