Ninjago 2014

TheOrcKing

I recall lots of BP'ers moaning about "stupid Ninjago"... the worst thing in their portfolio... especially this particular series ... the "Nindroid" era... everybody hated it.

Not me. :blum: I can think of some good reasons for this era of cybernetics between nice parts such as the new ninja bandana scarf and different hairstyles for our heroes. For any fan of anime and cartoons, ninjas and cyborgs or robots go hand-in-hand which for me made the disdain confusing considering plus the new body armor, cyber hoodie, and printing all were done well. Regarding the specific season related to this wave, it was short and the sudden advancement of technology unusual but the main plotline was to the point without the sort of unnecessary filler content typically plaguing similar TV shows. Let's not forget how awesome the concept of cyberpunk is as well.

Like the sets or not, the Ninjago theme has some pretty darn good characters.

• Like 1

One of the Ninjago designers is on Reddit. A few people were disappointed by the Nexo Knights announcement, that it wasn't more cyberpunk.

He said he's been trying hard to push a cyberpunk agenda but research doesn't support it yet. So, he tried to incorporate cyberpunk into Ninjago with the mech additions.

He may still have his chance?... Do they do 2 story lines per year now?  Since the Nindroids in 2014, they've done the Jade Blade Tournament, and the Moro-possesses-Lloyd story (sorry... I'm too lazy to look up the correct names of these)... we're due for a new one aren't we?  Lego seems to be doubling down on the Ninjago theme.  They pushed it strong at our new store opening here in Charlotte - first day was dedicated to the Master Builder and the giant statue of Lloyd, photo ops with Kai, commemorative "Ninjago bricks" for invitation holders.  And there are feature films coming out, right?  It must be a good money-maker for them.  I'm beginning to think there may be a good number of BP'ers quietly making money in this theme... and would rather not talk about it ;)B)

He may still have his chance?... Do they do 2 story lines per year now?  Since the Nindroids in 2014, they've done the Jade Blade Tournament, and the Moro-possesses-Lloyd story (sorry... I'm too lazy to look up the correct names of these)... we're due for a new one aren't we?  Lego seems to be doubling down on the Ninjago theme.  They pushed it strong at our new store opening here in Charlotte - first day was dedicated to the Master Builder and the giant statue of Lloyd, photo ops with Kai, commemorative "Ninjago bricks" for invitation holders.  And there are feature films coming out, right?  It must be a good money-maker for them.  I'm beginning to think there may be a good number of BP'ers quietly making money in this theme... and would rather not talk about it ;)B)

Next year, the Ninjago movie comes out (I'm pretty sure it's next year)...there will certainly be more ninja story lines coming.

Edited by Quacs

I have certainly been pleasantly surprised at the Golden Dragon, Temple of Light and Ultrasonic raiders I have sold FBA lately.  All have been over 100% profit after all fees.  This line is my 3rd best profit maker after Architecture and Ideas.  I am skipping most of the cyborg stuff, but the Battle for Ninjago City seems like a winner to me.  Wu Dragon, Maro Dragon, Dojo Showdown, and the new Temple all seem nice.  I love the glow in the dark parts.  Getting a good discount seems much easier with Ninjago, which is a bonus.

Ninjago is doing really really well in Europe - going price for above mentioned 70723 Ultra Raider for example on Ebay is about 72 $ and rising. Cheapest one on Amazon Germany is currently at 110 $. Not to shabby for something you could have picked up with 30-40 % discount off a 33 $ retail price around this time last year. Kai's Blade Cyle 9441 that retailed at about 18 $ without any discounts was just sold for 110 $ on ebay . A lot of modulars and exclusives will have a long way to go to reach that ROI...

I wonder when the early 2015 series with the red Ninja will start dissapearing - there is already a serious shortage on Ninjago sets in all TRU's in my area except for the new big sets like 70723...

Edited by TigerG

• 8 months later...
4 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Is anyone making bank on 70723 - Thunder Raider?

It was not an exclusive, but the CAGR is through the roof, especially for being a floundering year for Ninjago.

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Ninjago-70723-Thunder-Raider/dp/B00ERARO94/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1467317678&sr=1-1&keywords=lego+70723

Unfortunately not. Here in Germany it was very rare. Hence, I have never seen it in real life. Currently there is only one listing (MISB) on ebay Germany. 

70728 Ninjago City also does very well here. Has been discounted heavily in its lifetime. But now it is flourishing. Unfortunately I sold all of mine too soon!

8 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

It was not an exclusive, but the CAGR is through the roof, especially for being a floundering year for Ninjago.

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Ninjago-70723-Thunder-Raider/dp/B00ERARO94/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1467317678&sr=1-1&keywords=lego+70723

Not I. So hard to predict on Ninjago - problem to me is you have to invest in a lot of the line to make sure you don't miss the ones that really pop. It's amazing how fast they are pumping out new ones too. 

5 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I QF mine, so not necessarily big :money:

• 8 months later...