The quick and the dead

Had to laugh this morning at the lengths one must go to for the love of the plastic brick... and where my limits end and others obviously don't (possibly why I shouldn't quit my day job...oops too late) !! So there was a Garage sale (translate: yard sale) listed on Gumtree (translate: kinda like craigslist but a bit prettier) last weekend - twas scheduled to occur this morning from 6 am- the headliner item was listed as LEGO (that has gotta mean you have a bunch of it right for it to be the first item listed?). The address was only 3 streets away from me so I was a bit cheeky and text the number 40 minutes after it was listed last weekend to ask what kind of LEGO it was ... no response, so i figured no skin off my nose to head out this morning to check it out. I fail to mention last night I had already checked what time sun rise was this morning - 6:24 am. At 5:45 am I figure to myself - its not even 5 degrees outside, the sun is not yet up... i don't need to go just yet and be one of those super keen flanny-wearing-bogans who cruise sales before they even start thus necessitating signs saying "no early birds" (I am allowed to say this as I am at heart a flanny wearing bogan) ... but apparently i was WRONG. I jumped in the car at 8 minutes past 6:00 am. It took me all of a minute to drive to the sale. I get out ... no one else there... good sign... tired looking owners dressed in trackies and uggs still putting boxes on tables... even better sign. I casually saunter over to a table half full with toys... scan... mega blocks (eww), Mcdonalds toys looking like Bionicles (getting warmer), a small snap-lock bag of Bionicle parts (promising enough to pick up to examine price - $4.00 ...no thanks). "Is this the LEGO you had listed" I ask ? "Sorry, that's already gone" is' the reply I receive. "Oh... did it sell during the week?" I gingerly ask. Frustrated response from owners ..."We got non-stop phone calls ALL week asking to buy it - we kept telling people to wait for the sale (at this point i feel a little stink for my text but don't fess up) and so we kept it for the sale - someone was here before dawn for it sorry". I shake my head in disbelief, like that is just ridiculous, thank them for their time and scamper back home all in the space of about 3 minutes (kicking myself for not being that someone !). I get home and tell hubby who is sitting bleary eyed on the couch holding bubby... he scoffs... the lengths SOME people go to for "just" some LEGO - you wouldn't get up that early... "no honey" I say as I resolve to try harder next time !

Jeff and I had a similar experience last week. There was a yard sale that listed LEGO sets/bulk on Craigslist. After contacting the woman, we had an agreement for $225 for about $600-$700 worth of product. She never called back. Another buyer came in and offered more I suppose. Maybe we should have offered more. Oh well...

Jeff and I had a similar experience last week. There was a yard sale that listed LEGO sets/bulk on Craigslist. After contacting the woman, we had an agreement for $225 for about $600-$700 worth of product. She never called back. Another buyer came in and offered more I suppose. Maybe we should have offered more. Oh well...

Plenty of other bricks in the sea I guess !? <*)))}><

Plenty of other bricks in the sea I guess !? <*)))}><

I hope... I usually don't buy from local yard sales and the like, but I am going to start. There are deals out there to be found, you just have to be persistent I imagine.

I think you have a good shot - I even check your USA craigslist and ebay on occasion for the bargain hunt - what is left untouched over there because it might be a bit too pricey is still cheap for us here - i paid $2500 for 80 kg of Lego a couple of years ago- granted it was all pretty much sets (and i haven't finished completing my brickfolio with what i got yet and I'm already about a grand ahead) BUT that is still a lot of money per kilo compared to what you guys can grab it for there. I am hunting for bulk lots for the kids holiday program I am running in January but so far have had limited success at the price I am willing to pay - I've just been keeping an eye on bricklink forums for sales and closing stores and grabbing what i can that way, but the postage costs soon start to add up - nothing like grabbing a great local deal and dodging the postman :)

Plenty of other bricks in the sea I guess !? I hope... I usually don't buy from local yard sales and the like, but I am going to start. There are deals out there to be found, you just have to be persistent I imagine.

I think you have a good shot - I even check your USA craigslist and ebay on occasion for the bargain hunt - what is left untouched over there because it might be a bit too pricey is still cheap for us here - i paid $2500 for 80 kg of Lego a couple of years ago- granted it was all pretty much sets (and i haven't finished completing my brickfolio with what i got yet and I'm already about a grand ahead) BUT that is still a lot of money per kilo compared to what you guys can grab it for there. I am hunting for bulk lots for the kids holiday program I am running in January but so far have had limited success at the price I am willing to pay - I've just been keeping an eye on bricklink forums for sales and closing stores and grabbing what i can that way, but the postage costs soon start to add up - nothing like grabbing a great local deal and dodging the postman :)

Buying bulk LEGO from any source is a complete crap shoot. I have bought my share of lousy lots with Mega Bloks, coins, garbage, screws etc... thrown in the LEGO bricks. The best deals I used to find were on EBAY. There was this one seller from Arizona that would list various lots of LEGO bricks in 5, 10 and 20 pound increments. I used to be able to buy 20 pounds of 'brand new' LEGO bricks for $100, with FREE SHIPPING. Amazing. They had a huge business for awhile and must have had some sort contact within the LEGO industry to get these new bricks. Granted, there were a lot of repeat bricks and odd colors like dark green, but they were of top quality. You just have to keep an eye out in all sorts of places and be very active in your pursuit.