Monster Fighters Glow-in-the-dark changes on sets 9462, 9464, 9468!

I just found out about this because of a comment by Diabolos80 in another thread. I certainly didn't know about this until today, so here's the rundown:

Concerning some sets in the Monster Fighters line, TLG was apparantly not satisfied with the quality of their Glow-in-the-dark ink, had some worldwide legal issues with the ink, or some other factor with the glow-in-the-dark stickers and print elements.

End result, the following sets have had previously Glow-in-the-dark stickers or print changed and replaced with non-glowing versions:

9462 - The Mummy - The Mummy minifigure no longer has glow-in-the-dark print.

9464 - Vampyre Hearse - The roof sticker no longer glows in the dark.

9468 - Vampyre Castle - The entire wall and vine sticker sheet no longer glows in the dark.

The box art for these sets reflects the change of the glow-in-the-dark parts to non-glowing versions; you will be able to tell just by looking on the box. This creates two versions of each of these three sets of Monster Fighters. Each has a unique Item number and UPC code:

The Mummy Glowing Mummy - Item Number: 4654211 | UPC Number: 6 73419 16763 5

The Mummy Non-glowing Mummy - Item Number: 6032808 | UPC Number: 6 73419 19566 9

Vampyre Hearse Glowing Roof Sticker- Item Number: 4654219 | UPC Number: 6 73419 16765 9

Vampyre Hearse Non-glowing Roof Sticker- Item Number: 6032805 | UPC Number: 6 73419 19565 2

Vampyre Castle Glowing Wall Sticker - Item Number: 4654245 | UPC Number: 6 73419 16770 3

Vampyre Castle Non-glowing Wall Sticker - Item Number: 6032810 | UPC Number: 6 73419 19567 6

I don't own the Vampyre Hearse, so if someone has both versions item numbers and UPC numbers I'll update them here.

Edited by TheOrcKing
Added Vampyre Hearse numbers.
  • Like 2

I learned this when I was buying a mummy minifig on ebay. Only ONE seller mentioned that his fig did not glow. Then someone else on this forum noticed the hearse and castle differences. But yeah, it doesn't seem to be as well known as it should be.

The glow stickers on the castle are very dim, but not as dim as the ones that don't glow... The mummy glows very well. I'm a bit disappointed in Lego for cheapening the sets. From an investor's view, the added mystique should make both versions more valuable. And the early discontinuation or whatever of the glow versions will give the toy a story. A toy with a weird story is always cooler.

It seems the only parts affected were these printed and sticker parts. The actual Glow-in-the-dark bricks and pieces are unaffected, so things like your Ghosts, Werewolf claws, spiders, Ghost minifigs, skeletal horses, Vampyre heads, etc aren't in danger.

Personally I want to hunt down some glowing Mummy sets. I feel that's the biggest impact versus some stickers that by most reports didn't glow very well anyay (likely contributing to their removal and replacement). A glowing or non-glowing minifig, however, will likely divide the pricing of the two variants, should this knowledge proliferate.

It seems the only parts affected were these printed and sticker parts. The actual Glow-in-the-dark bricks and pieces are unaffected, so things like your Ghosts, Werewolf claws, spiders, Ghost minifigs, skeletal horses, Vampyre heads, etc aren't in danger.

That's good to know. post-2081-0-95043700-1369796423.gif

Personally I want to hunt down some glowing Mummy sets. I feel that's the biggest impact versus some stickers that by most reports didn't glow very well anyay (likely contributing to their removal and replacement). A glowing or non-glowing minifig, however, will likely divide the pricing of the two variants, should this knowledge proliferate.

I so agree. Much like those lackluster stickerbooks, no one will really care enough to chase down a glowing sticker. Now a glowing minifigure on the other hand, oh yeah. Actually I'm curious enough to try and find both variants of the Mummy just for the heck of it. I already have 'the glower', now I need the other.

Anyone know the month when each impacted set (non-glowing) started showing up in stores? Once we have pics of each non-glowing box set affected, we should update www.brickimedia.org (replacing lego.wikia.com right?).

Update. I was just able to "get to" a few of my 9464 Hearse sets and managed to take pics. Attached are pics of 9464's box differences (roof sticker glowing , item # above and below UPC, and the bottom center box art). Additionally, a Feb 21, 2013 purchase was my last one (amazon) and that is the non-glowing sticker box.

post-3743-0-76390800-1370220671_thumb.jp

post-3743-0-69857500-1370220684_thumb.jp

post-3743-0-28796200-1370220701_thumb.jp

Along the same lines for MF: Has anyone else noticed the difference in the glow in the dark parts? I have several of the white 1 x 1 cones that glow in the dark. These were obviously manufactured in different places with different processes. Some of them appear slightly "greyer" and do not glow as strong. It is hard to tell a difference between them without holding them together in sunlight or by turning off all the lights and seeing the "dimmer" glowing factor. I also noticed it on one of ghost hoods.

As for the sticker sheets, BrickLink actually shows different part numbers for the glowing and non-glowing.

• 3 weeks later...

It was done so hush-hush, that I don't think most buyers (or sellers for that matter) even know about it, nor can most tell the difference.

The changes aren't exactly drastic, but at least in the case of the Mummy I'd be pissed if I ordered what I thought was a GITD Mummy and got a non-glowing one.

It was done so hush-hush, that I don't think most buyers (or sellers for that matter) even know about it, nor can most tell the difference.

Or even retailers.

Since the barcodes are different I've noticed some Walmarts have been clearancing sets in their system but are missing that it's actually two different items. For instance the Vamp Hurst at my store had 4 glow in the dark ringing up for $25 and I bought 3 non-glow for $12. Those 4 are still sitting in their clearance. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...