2013 set impressions

So I know alot of people, myself included were thinking this year was going to be a little lackluster from a WOW standpoint. I have to say that I think I was wrong. We arent even halfway through the year yet and I must say I am very impressed. I know some of yall are hard to please and would argue otherwise. Here is your chance to chime in with your thoughts good or bad so far for the 2013 sets.

• Like 1

I'm way impressed with this years sets already and we still have ewok village, tower of orthanc and hopefully an amazing Sydney opera house(if its not architecture and something like tower bridge, cause there charging 280$).

So I know alot of people, myself included were thinking this year was going to be a little lackluster from a WOW standpoint. I have to say that I think I was wrong. We arent even halfway through the year yet and I must say I am very impressed. I know some of yall are hard to please and would argue otherwise. Here is your chance to chime in with your thoughts good or bad so far for the 2013 sets.

Well considering I am only Castle/History/LOTR fan I find this year very disappointing compared to last year.... probably the main difference is Kingdoms vs Castle (then ok Kingdoms is even older but was still on shelves starting 2012) and Helm's Deep vs Pirate Ship Ambush...

Sure Tower of Orthanc fixes some of this but since the price point and low availability in my country will probably make me not buy it (it will retail around 300$)  from the whole LOTR wave only Elronds council is good for parts i want, and Pirate ship will only be purchased on heavy discount.

Luckily I still need to get Haunted house so ye will be something to save for. But overall I plan only to make 3-4 set purchases this year (+ 2x haunted house hopefuly) since my yearly budget is about 600$ that will cover it with some Bricklink items to MOC.

I like what the LOTR has to offer and Star Wars so far.  My wallet does not.  I'm very curious about the next SW battlepack and which direction that plan on taking those.  I like what other themes are putting out, but I can't afford to spread myself so thin.

• Like 1

I particularly am very satisified. There are just too many sets that I really like and will be buying before the end of the year. The ones I like the most are:

- UCS X-Wing

- Orthanc

- Ewok Village

- LOTR Ship

- Jabba's Sail Barge

Will add the Sidney Opera House for sure if it ends up being annouced too. A really good year in my opinion!

• Like 1

I like what the LOTR has to offer and Star Wars so far.  My wallet does not.  I'm very curious about the next SW battlepack and which direction that plan on taking those.  I like what other themes are putting out, but I can't afford to spread myself so thin.

I particularly am very satisified. There are just too manu sets that I really like and will be buying before the end of the year.

I agree wholeheartedly with both of you. There is just so much to love this year......and it's killing my wallet. I am literally :banghead: trying to decide on what and when to buy and plan it all out! Ah, if only my tastes weren't so diversified....

I agree wholeheartedly with both of you. There is just so much to love this year......and it's killing my wallet. I am literally :banghead: trying to decide on what and when to buy and plan it all out! Ah, if only my tastes weren't so diversified....

Hahah I completely understand. I even have a list of sets I want and more or less when I will be buying them.

I guess the moral of the story is buy them all now at some point in their natural shelf life and don't be an aftermarket buyer?

I know that applies to me. In fact, one of the reasons I don't collect any Modulars is because I know that the moment I get one, I will need them all, so I stay away from the temptation. In case of LOTR now that I am seriously collecting the whole theme I will buy all of the second wave sets as long as I see them discounted. I certainly don't want to have to go to the secondary market if I can get them now for at least retail.