Sydney Opera House investing idea

Hey guys I have though about this and I think I am gonna try it, thought I would share the idea. I am gonna get some SOH architecture sets which are small and fairly cheap. I am gonna save them for when the time comes to sell the big SOH. It should sweeten up the deal a bit to include the small one when selling the bigger one in the secondary market and pull in some more profit. I like to do this with bigger sets and their small polybag counterparts and it seems to work well. What do y'all think?

I wouldn't be convinced that you would make more money this way. Now maybe it would sell faster?

I think one option some from the US may want to explore is buying some to immediately resell to Australian buyers.  Make sure you have an Australian focused listing on Ebay with specific and exact shipping costs worked in.  You could be able to flip a few for a profit (maybe not huge but all profit is good profit), especially if the sets are not released to the wider Aussie retailers from day one.

I think one option some from the US may want to explore is buying some to immediately resell to Australian buyers.  Make sure you have an Australian focused listing on Ebay with specific and exact shipping costs worked in.  You could be able to flip a few for a profit (maybe not huge but all profit is good profit), especially if the sets are not released to the wider Aussie retailers from day one.

You want one of us BrickPickers to sell some sets to you for good 'ol American MSRP? I'd be happy to, once Brick Classifieds are up! ;)

The biggest issue with reselling to Australia will be the cost of postage. 

If it was a small set, the cost of postage would be acceptable for those eager to get the set, however the size of the set will make the cost of postage a huge consideration on the purchase. 

Also, it has been clarified by Lego that the set will be available from 1 September 2013 in Australia, so there may not be an advantage to sell to Australia unless we all get patriotic and buy up the local supply!

If it was a small set, the cost of postage would be acceptable for those eager to get the set, however the size of the set will make the cost of postage a huge consideration on the purchase. 

Also, it has been clarified by Lego that the set will be available from 1 September 2013 in Australia, so there may not be an advantage to sell to Australia unless we all get patriotic and buy up the local supply!

Plus factor in the price differential ($319.99US to $399.99AU) which isn't as bad as previous sets. Coupled with additional shipping charges and a slipping Aussie Dollar, I don't believe it would be viable.

You want one of us BrickPickers to sell some sets to you for good 'ol American MSRP? I'd be happy to, once Brick Classifieds are up! ;)

Always keen for that and looking forward to the new opportunities that the Brick Classifieds may bring.  But in this case I think some people may be able to specifically make profits from the SOH by marketing to Australians.

I don't think Australia will have enough to satisfy demand in the short term after release, especially if it is a S@H exclusive as many of the buyers will not know of S@H so a window may exist before the general retailers there get it in store.  Or are they all getting it 1 Sep?  

Plus the retail will likely be higher than people in other markets (mainly US) will be able to obtain them for even with shipping included. 

Plus factor in the price differential ($319.99US to $399.99AU) which isn't as bad as previous sets. Coupled with additional shipping charges and a slipping Aussie Dollar, I don't believe it would be viable.

Ah,I hadn't looked up the retail prices.  That might not be enough of a margin then.  Still might be that window of opportunity if retail release isn't across all stores or if Aussie demand outstrips supply.

Ah,I hadn't looked up the retail prices.  That might not be enough of a margin then.  Still might be that window of opportunity if retail release isn't acro

The exchange rate also would be a factor, the Australian dollar has fallen below parity to the US dollar so a $320 set will cost about $350 before postage (approx $70).

Also, Lego has introduced free shipping for orders over $150 in Australia, so the $400 set will not cost any more for postage at the moment. There are not alot of retailers in Australia expected to carry the item, however there may be a bit of a change to that being the item is an Australian model and new retailers may be engaged to sell it. 

I have been told directly that the actual Sydney Opera House will be selling the set, how many other Creator sets can claim this honour?

• Like 1

Yeah the dollar has dropped a bit.  Just the Greenback recovering really, it's up against most pairs.  Our dollar has taken a dive as well.

That free shipping is a good deal as well.  Looks like my idea is far less workable than I originally thought, seems for once you Aussies might not be getting a rough deal :)

Pretty cool if the Opera House is selling it.  Buying one there you'd have to feel like getting someone "official" to sign it or something!

The price between countries has definitely been evening up for Lego. With our dollar diving, it really is coming at a good time really.
The free shipping Lego has been doing, along with bonus goodies we have been scoring with polybags have certainly seemed to even things up more of late.

Yeah the dollar has dropped a bit.  Just the Greenback recovering really, it's up against most pairs.  Our dollar has taken a dive as well.

That free shipping is a good deal as well.  Looks like my idea is far less workable than I originally thought, seems for once you Aussies might not be getting a rough deal :)

Pretty cool if the Opera House is selling it.  Buying one there you'd have to feel like getting someone "official" to sign it or something!

Grolim,

The idea does have merit, but I think it is more of a long term idea than one after the item is released. I have the VW camper (as my avatar) and that has been touted on eBay for some time with no great change in price (except the exchange rate).  I see that they would be worth more when tie-in anniversaries occur.

If you bought the SOH for plans to resell later, the Opera House is turning 40 this year. May I suggest buying some sets, putting it into storage and waiting until it turns 50 and then bring them out to sell, there wouldn't be many in unopened boxed set for sale when this happens.

Regarding the SOH selling them, I am hoping to get one from there (it's in my home city). I am going to keep the receipt and maybe get a photo of the box on the stairs too. I will open the box and I will build it. Maybe there might be a market for me to buy the set on behalf of people who want to get it from the real SOH!

Definitely a good long term investment set.  Hopefully the production run is short and we don't get it sticking around at retail for a long time.  I like the idea of holding for the 50th, lets check back on this thread in 10 years and see if it pans out to have been a good long term hold :)

That sounds like a great idea with the buying from the SOH and showing the receipt and photo.