City Corner (7641) may be re-released as 60031 this year

TheOrcKing

I like the old set and was tempted to get one. I'll probably get one of these. I've been wanting a bus to add to my city.

Time to post it on eBay! As long as you only have one left you can probably squeeze it in before it's released (assuming Brickset is correct).

On the subject of re-releases, when was the last time any set was re-released and which one was it? I really debate Lego going through any kind of re-release anymore such as this.

Only ones I can think of are the western sets that were rereleased in 2002 and the Classic Airport from like '89 or '91 that was rerelease sometime int he 2000s.

200th post!

This is what I always fear when investing in City. I know they have re-released other themes under the "Legend" banner, but City rehashes most of the sets in time and in the case of this one it's a more blatant re-release. 

They need to focus more on making a decent gas station for our towns.  If you ever saw the pictures with the gas station that they MOC'd for the City Square, it was really good, but not a real set, yet.  This is a great set, but really Lego? Why re-release this with the City Square coming out as well?  It doesn't make sense, I hope Brickset is wrong.

• 4 weeks later...

On the subject of re-releases, when was the last time any set was re-released and which one was it? I really debate Lego going through any kind of re-release

anymore such as this.

I remember picking up a bunch of Star Wars 7666 when it was re-released

Wow, this is really troubling. It looks legit (I hope not) - If it is, then LEGO hasn't even changed anything about this set.

Once they start down this path, we can expect that any set that performs well after EOL might just get re-released with a new set # - This could be very bad.

I think there is an inevitable re-release of a major set (Millennium Falcon or Cafe Corner) in the next few years.  My money would be on the CC though.

I think there is an inevitable re-release of a major set (Millennium Falcon or Cafe Corner) in the next few years.  My money would be on the CC though.

I agree, they have crossed the UCS line - so the Modular line will also be crossed. Re-designing and re-releasing a set is one thing, but to reissue exact sets is another. I could usually find a way to find advantages to any change in the LEGO investing environment, but with this - it seems impossible.

I agree, they have crossed the UCS line - so the Modular line will also be crossed. Re-designing and re-releasing a set is one thing, but to reissue exact sets is another. I could usually find a way to find advantages to any change in the LEGO investing environment, but with this - it seems impossible.

I think thats great...

with doing so they will destroy LEGO investing before it went PUBLIC too much ;) 

and LEGO wil lremain only a toy to open and build !

I don't see a problem with that... it sure sucks for anyone investing in it... but thats why I told myself... never invest in GENERIC LEGO themes that are around for a LONG LONG TIME (+ Star Wars) because they live forever and wil lbe redone 100 times.

Now imagine a UCS MF re-release! That would be AMAZING :D

I think thats great...

with doing so they will destroy LEGO investing before it went PUBLIC too much ;)

and LEGO wil lremain only a toy to open and build !

I don't see a problem with that... it sure sucks for anyone investing in it... but thats why I told myself... never invest in GENERIC LEGO themes that are around for a LONG LONG TIME (+ Star Wars) because they live forever and wil lbe redone 100 times.

Now imagine a UCS MF re-release! That would be AMAZING :D

I know re-releasing the MF would make a lot of people on here flip out, but I would be thrilled.  Not necessarily for the investment potential, but simply because I would love to build it, and I'm not willing to pay $2000+ for a Lego set.

• 2 months later...

At the cost of reviving an old dead thread, I believe all of us can sigh with relief as this is never going to happen or ever was for the matter. Again, someone got something confused in translation with a couple of things I'm sure. The way I figure is somebody said there will be a new City set (Town Square) which looks similar to City Corner as they share similar ideas but someone else took it said as it is City Corner and went whole hog with saying there will be a rerelease. I was skeptic at first but now, especially at this point of the year, I know for certain there will not be a rerelease going on here.

To be fair, City Corner from 2009 and this year's Town Square are a little bit similar at least generically. Both have a transit bus, bike store, and pizza deli. Aside from that, they are nicely different.

7641 - City Corner

c_7641_detail_1_hr.jpg

60026 - Town Square

60026.png

You wanna see the culprit behind this alleged rerelease rumor? Like the Bigfoot conspiracy, here is the blurry photo starting it all.

60031_main.jpg

At the cost of reviving an old dead thread, I believe all of us can sigh with relief as this is never going to happen or ever was for the matter. Again, someone got something confused in translation with a couple of things I'm sure. The way I figure is somebody said there will be a new City set (Town Square) which looks similar to City Corner as they share similar ideas but someone else took it said as it is City Corner and went whole hog with saying there will be a rerelease. I was skeptic at first but now, especially at this point of the year, I know for certain there will not be a rerelease going on here.

To be fair, City Corner from 2009 and this year's Town Square are a little bit similar at least generically. Both have a transit bus, bike store, and pizza deli. Aside from that, they are nicely different.

I agree with you. I have looked at both of these sets and they do have some similarities like a bus, a pizza place, and a bike shop, but both of the sets have some differences too. IMO, I do not think that the set is a complete remake of the last one, just that the new one has some of the aspects from the other set, but it also has some new features like the statue.

This is what I always fear when investing in City. I know they have re-released other themes under the "Legend" banner, but City rehashes most of the sets in time and in the case of this one it's a more blatant re-release. 

Exactly. TO me, there are so many other investments, froma  percentage standpoint I just stay away unless its trains.,

Exactly. TO me, there are so many other investments, froma  percentage standpoint I just stay away unless its trains.,

Police and fire you need to be very selective, I think The Mine should do well.  If you looked at the old construction equipments, garage, transportation and, farm theme, those appreciated nicely.

Exactly. TO me, there are so many other investments, froma percentage standpoint I just stay away unless its trains.,

I get the fact there are possible remakes for the City theme same as Star Wars is guilty of (even more so really) making either tricky to invest with and pick out the major winners, but anytime anyone says most anything City is not a good investment, I always feel like whipping out 8403 City House and 3222 Helicopter & Limosine that say otherwise. What lowillsw mentioned about certain subthemes especially the farming one has turned out to be quite good.

In a way City is much like anything else available. You only need to be even more selective with possible great gainers. I can easily see this latest Town Square set be well valued when it leaves the primary market. As a set goes, perhaps it is 'too big to fail'. ;)