Gandalf Arrives 9469 - Limited availability

Guest ph4tb0i

I had 22 at about $8 a piece, but I returned 12 of them as they just didn't seem to move from the shelves. Plus it's not as portable as a polybag so shipping them as a MINT package is a bit more difficult than shoving it into a bubble mailer. 

Hope I don't regret that move.. :P

I had 22 at about $8 a piece, but I returned 12 of them as they just didn't seem to move from the shelves. Plus it's not as portable as a polybag so shipping them as a MINT package is a bit more difficult than shoving it into a bubble mailer. 

I dont expect it to have a good ROI, its a boring set, no special peice or minifigs, i think gandalf and frodo are in other sets with same printing. only people who are buying these would be those just looking to complete the whole set.

My guess is Helms deep with the uruk-hai amy sets to extend to wall will be the big winners, possibly with the orc forge as a sleeper set, has a lot of good figs and peices and wont have as many investors compared to helms deep.

I dont expect it to have a good ROI, its a boring set, no special peice or minifigs, i think gandalf and frodo are in other sets with same printing. only people who are buying these would be those just looking to complete the whole set.

My guess is Helms deep with the uruk-hai amy sets to extend to wall will be the big winners, possibly with the orc forge as a sleeper set, has a lot of good figs and peices and wont have as many investors compared to helms deep.

I agree with the boring part, but you know what happens when sets go EOL...even terds look shiny.  

Haha. I don't think anything about Orc Forge says sleeper. It's a Target exclusive that people will want to go with their Tower of Orthanc, probably even moreso than the Helm's Deep and Uruk-Hai army combo.

What I will agree with is that this set will probably suck for investment.

If you can't get Gandalf or Frodo, you probably don't own a LOTR LEGO set.

I got 4 of them at $8 CAN a piece too.  Boring set but could be part of a generic medieval MOC...still 2 more Hobbit/LOTR theme movies coming out so by that time selling it for $20ish is not out of the question if you hang on to it.  There would be more potential buyers at $20 per set secondary price just because its sheer affordability not 'exclusivity'.  Maybe it's just my weird thinking as a novice.  When it's EOL and not available in stores what parent wouldn't shell out $20 to buy it - cheap when it's Lego :)         

Agreed - polybags make shipping a breeze.  This little box still needs good packaging for shipping.  While ROI might be decent, a big total profit might be more trouble than its worth.

Guest ph4tb0i

Because I am a complete newb and really collecting the set to keep, I bought it last night at Walmart for $15.86.  Can you say, "a fool and his money are soon parted"?

it's only a couple of bucks. no biggie. :)

Because I am a complete newb and really collecting the set to keep, I bought it last night at Walmart for $15.86.  Can you say, "a fool and his money are soon parted"?

haha, no worries some/most of us have been there...one set is not biggie.  I was tempted to buy the new Wizard Battle at full regular price because it looks cool but gave myself a shake and promptly put it back on the shelf lol.  In due time that will be <$10 too.   

haha, no worries some/most of us have been there...one set is not biggie.  I was tempted to buy the new Wizard Battle at full regular price because it looks cool but gave myself a shake and promptly put it back on the shelf lol.  In due time that will be <$10 too.   

Ah yes - I bought that last night at $15.86 as well...

I live in an aggressive market and I can say this set has lingered on shelves longest of all LOTR sets. If it doesn't move from the shelves here, it probably won't move that well after retirement, either. The only other one that seems to linger at basically every store is Mines of Moria. Even Shelob Attacks are virtually gone from most stores here. And you won't find a HD unless you look hard. Maybe one with a beat up box, but I haven't seen a MISB one in awhile.