10234 - Sydney Opera House

Etan

sorry to call you out but can we stop this nonsense? not saying it definitely will stay but at least give some evidence or proof of your claim? or do you even know what you are talking about?

10234 will go EOL before the end of 2014

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Brickpicker mobile app

• Like 1

Very familiar. Guess what people do in a low income country like mine? Trash talk basically everything they can't afford. It is very annoying to see the comments under tech news etc. and 80% of them trashing an anyway reasonably priced product only for its price. Like it was the product's fault they earn little money. In these cases I just say I can't afford it. I won't say Ferrari is **** because I don't earn enough to buy it.

This is the so called cognitive dissonance anyway, making yourself believe in half-truths or lies in order to feel better.

Over here is the same thing, they do not want to understand the difference between appreciation and speculation and make stupid offers for long gone sets.

As for the SOH, I will jump into this boat further down the line, I have other sets in my priority list at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

Why are people so offended if other people do not like a certain set? I am not impressed by the SOH. I like the TB much better. As for investing, I have no clue how it will go with this set. If I see one highly discounted I will buy one maybe to see where it will go. Those who will invest in it deeply, I hope you will get high profits.

If we would all like the same sets the investing game would end very fast. Invest wisely and follow your gut.  

• Like 1

Why are people so offended if other people do not like a certain set? I am not impressed by the SOH. I like the TB much better. As for investing, I have no clue how it will go with this set. If I see one highly discounted I will buy one maybe to see where it will go. Those who will invest in it deeply, I hope you will get high profits.

If we would all like the same sets the investing game would end very fast. Invest wisely and follow your gut.  

I don't know what's your history in this thread, though this reply sounds reasonable. There are differences between just saying that I don't like this set and desperately trying to prove or/and convince others that the set is bad. 

However investing based on personal preferences is not always good. I see musicians who make crap music and still would invest in them because I know it has a demand.

• Like 2

Like Nickelback? :)

100 percent yes. And nirvana. And anything with justin beiber.

More importantly, I think the problem is when people state things so definitively. I mean, we all do it, and this is text so it's hard- but when someone comes in and says "this set is crap, it will do nothing" and really offers no real reason, that is going to spark the debate. So will a similar statement about early eol.

The fact is, as I think Stephen was pointing out, what 250+ 3000 piece set has ever not done well? I mean when you look back there are almost no exclusive big sets that didn't do well after retirement.

There are legitimate concerns for this set - it's maybe a bit overpriced. Its got a wider footprint than most sets. And it's tough to judge the Sidney opera houses popularity to that of the Taj Mahal and Eiffel Tower.

But at the end of the day, "not selling well" is not a reason since no one knows those numbers. It's a big exclusive. The days those stop doing well is the day lego investing is over.

We are certainly no where near that point today.

• Like 1

I don't know what's your history in this thread, though this reply sounds reasonable. There are differences between just saying that I don't like this set and desperately trying to prove or/and convince others that the set is bad. 

However investing based on personal preferences is not always good. I see musicians who make crap music and still would invest in them because I know it has a demand.

I have no significant history in this thread. I just repeat that I have no clue how well this set will do after EOL. No one does I think. I agree that history has shown that these bigger sets always get more value after EOL. So I do not see why this one would be any different.

Investing based on personal preferences is not always good. I agree. But I am more comfortable with buying sets I personally like than does I do not like. If the investment turns out to be bad, at least I can build one for myself. For example the Minecraft probably will be a good investment? I just cannot get myself to buy them cause I do not like them and/or I do not understand the philosophy behind them. It could be my shortcoming offcourse.

The SOH is a decent set. Just the pricepoint is rather high. When I compare the TB and the SOH I prefer the TB. End of story. 

The SOH is a decent set. Just the pricepoint is rather high. When I compare the TB and the SOH I prefer the TB. End of story. 

Price point is pretty much on target when comparing to other large sets, at about $26 a pound of LEGO bricks.  Prices of LEGO sets are based on the amount of ABS plastic used, not the amount of pieces.  Here are some quick figures...

• SSD: $26 per pound
  • Tower Bridge: $25 per pound
  • SOH: $26 per pound
  • 10188: $23 per pound(great bang for your buck for pieces and minifigures)
  • Sandcrawler: $30 per pound(not a great deal)
  • Like 1

I see musicians who make crap music and still would invest in them because I know it has a demand.

Like Nickelback? :)

Oooo, don't let my mother hear you say anything bad about Nickelback. She'll kick your ass. :girlwerewolf:

There is a difference between someone saying "this is absolute trash" and "it's just not for me". From a few different conversations, your statements come across as "this isn't for me but good luck to those of you that it is" which is honest and respectful in my opinion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

my wife and i just finished building this set about a week ago that we purchased off AWH from deal posted here..

it looks neat as a display piece but i was disappointed that there is virtually no interior structure at all.

its really more of a giant ARCHITECTURE theme set than a CREATOR set.  

the tower bridge has interiors and tunnels and figures that interact.

this is just the external shape created with legos with zero interactive functionality.

i think this will end up not being as popular as the Tower Bridge which might actually enhance its investment value long term if not so many people buy them and less are produced.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest TabbyBoy

I'm still not sure how I feel about this set. There are things I like about it, but I can see why it mightn't be very popular. It might be one of those sets worth sticking away for a few years if there's not too many around.

I'm sure how I feel and no comment ;-)

Guest TabbyBoy

What is wrong with Kylie Minoque???

She didn't nudge me this morning to wake me up.  That's why I'm disappointed as she wasn't there.  Just as well my GF doesn't read this ;-)

Seriously, I'm not a fan of 10234 as more effort could've been made to make the roof less "corrugated" and unrealistic.  Not a patch on the TB IMHO.