10234 - Sydney Opera House

Etan

• 3 weeks later...

i am guessing since it is NOT a VIP set, it will be available on Sept. 1 - however, im sure there will be a few stores who get them in a week or so earlier

It does not appear to be a VIP set however I don't think a lot of places will stock it due to the cost and size of it, they may order it in.

haha,

For me I just don't like the way it looks, it's not done well ino. 

I understand not liking the look of the building, but saying it wasn't done well is crazy talk.  Have you ever watched the Lego Designer Video for this building.  The way they made it modular and sturdy is genius.  This set will be amazing to display and invest in.

I was in the local Lego store today and asked about the SO. they said 1st Sept in the UK. No news there, but interestingly they said they thought TB would stay for another year alongside SO.

Also they had 12 41999s on display. At Milton Keynes if anyone wants them. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Today I finally had a chance to drop by the nearest Lego store to check out Ewok Village and the big Sydney Opera House ****** person.  I hate to say but I am extremely disappointed about both of them.  The Ewok Village looks very much like a combination of few Hobbit sets (I know some of you will disagree).  For Sydney Opera House, the white canopies look nice, but other than that, the entire model looks pretty boring to me.  For $319, I would expect much more and much better looking than the Tower Bridge.  I don't know why this set costs $319 while Tower Bridge costs only $239.  I don't think they have the right price point set for this set.

For September, I think I will just get the Mindstorm EV3.  It's for myself, not for investment.

Today I finally had a chance to drop by the nearest Lego store to check out Ewok Village and the big Sydney Opera House n person.  I hate to say but I am extremely disappointed about both of them.  The Ewok Village looks very much like a combination of few Hobbit sets (I know some of you will disagree).  For Sydney Opera House, the white canopies look nice, but other than that, the entire model looks pretty boring to me.  For $319, I would expect much more and much better looking than the Tower Bridge.  I don't know why this set costs $319 while Tower Bridge costs only $239.  I don't think they have the right price point set for this set.

For September, I think I will just get the Mindstorm EV3.  It's for myself, not for investment.

Some of the difference, if not all, is explained by the weight of the sets. SOH weighs roughly 3 lbs more than Tower Bridge, meaning LEGO probably had higher production costs for the former.

Some of the difference, if not all, is explained by the weight of the sets. SOH weighs roughly 3 lbs more than Tower Bridge, meaning LEGO probably had higher production costs for the former.

It must be very solidly built to weigh that much more, because it looks to be on a smaller foot print that the TB.

I saw the opera house today at the store. I was not impressed at all. The sails look flat and the rest is just a big brown chunk. Meh.

I was against the ewok village, but seeing it built has changed my mind. Looks like a fantastic build and a really fun playset.

I agree it look really cool, and it shows how bad the pre launch pictures were.

I didn't know it weighed so much more - the pieces definitely are bigger. I am going to buy it - but will probably look to get one around $250 before I would bite.

Ewok village is worth $250 in my opinion though.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...