10234 - Sydney Opera House

Etan

Guest TabbyBoy

I bought one very cool looking set. For sure you cant lose money here its an exclusive

10234 will go EOL before the end of 2014

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Brickpicker mobile app

Since it doesn't appear to be a good seller, Lego may just can it.  I'm one of those that can't stand it.

I've built both the SOH and TB and even though you build the same thing twice, the TB was a much more enjoyable build.  SOH was a wash for me and doesn't display that well.  That being said, if it truly EOL's early, I could Imagine it being quite valuable down the road.  But because of the box size and price I'm probably just going to stick with GE's, DS's and TB's this year (all of which I think are winners)

It's weird for people to be all about Tower Bridge yet downplay the Sydney Opera House. I mean why one but not the other? If we were just talking about which would make a better investment due to retirement nearing then Tower Bridge would win but there is absolutely no way the Sydney Opera House could fail as a gainer when its time comes. On a personal note I could easily choose the Sydney Opera House over Tower Bridge and many others hands down for elegant design alone. Everyone I know who has seen pictures of it was simply stunned.

This one has lots of life left, will be good when it goes. Probably be buying this one in about 3 years. This game is not short term on new stuff.

This is true.  The SOH is not going anywhere.  There is no way to tell if it is a good or bad seller.  The last time I heard, none of us that I know of have access to such information.  Many people just don't discuss these big sets, but that does not make them unpopular or poor investment choices.  

Everyone I know who has seen pictures of it was simply stunned.

Heck, even my mother(48) wants this set. Not kidding. My friend has just bought one after I showed it to him and he is not even into LEGO (well, at least until now). 

In the LEGO store next to me both TB and this are displayed and well, SOH looks much more elegant to me. The designer could carry over the curves of the building really well.

Heck, even my mother(48) wants this set. Not kidding.

Well guess what? ....So does mine! :lol: Honest, she thought it was beautifully done especially considering it was in Lego. She saw the Architecture version and like me thought that just didn't capture the elegance of the real life structure but this large scale model is surely a sight to be reckoned with. She also was very impressed by the Parisian Restaurant.

People who don't want to buy a set(s) for investment will always trash talk it to make themselves feel better about not buying.

Very familiar. Guess what people do in a low income country like mine? Trash talk basically everything they can't afford. It is very annoying to see the comments under tech news etc. and 80% of them trashing an anyway reasonably priced product only for its price. Like it was the product's fault they earn little money. In these cases I just say I can't afford it. I won't say Ferrari is **** because I don't earn enough to buy it.

This is the so called cognitive dissonance anyway, making yourself believe in half-truths or lies in order to feel better. 

Not necessarily. What if they trash talk the SOH but then also invest big sums into other sets? Maybe they truly have something against it, and not due to jealousy? lol

I just made another reference to how cognitive dissonance is annoying regarding trashing products without a real basis because I see it daily too much. I never thought investors can't afford this set :). In the SOH case they are unsure if they made a good decision and this uncertainty bothers them, so they try to dismiss it by convincing themselves it is not a good set, which they do by commenting and waiting for reassuring replies.

How about people trash talking a set to throw others off? It doesn't take much to convince some people one way or the other. They make a set sound like and investment terd and go out the next day and buy 20 of them at the local Target or TRU.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker

• Like 2