Ideas #005: 21104 - NASA Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover

Etan

with this selection, i would bet we'll be getting a redesigned sandcrawler sometime before 2016.  this is one of the few (if not the only ) iconic star wars vehicles that hasn't had a designed.  if we do get a redesigned sandcrawler, it will most likely be a non-UCS one.

http://blog.lego.cuusoo.com/2013/06/14/results-fall-2012-lego-review/

Not surprised with the result.  The Mars Rover looks like a set that is easy to produce, has no license fees (I don't think they'll have to pay NASA?), and will be at a reasonable price point.  I like the educational and science awareness aspect as well, this pushes all the right buttons for Lego as a brand.

I would have liked the Sandcrawler too, but it was never going to happen.  Too big, too pricey, too risky.  Plus I think the sandcrawler we already have is a pretty good depiction of the vehicle.

• 2 months later...

It has already made it.  Not sure what the next steps are for a production, if any.  If anything, it would be nice if there was a pdf of directions to make your own if Lego does not pick it up.  

After reading this:

http://blog.lego.cuusoo.com/2013/06/14/results-fall-2012-lego-review/

I am even more confused about the review process and if Lego reviewed it and ok'd it, or if it's still in the process.

All systems go for the Mars Curiosity Rover. They are in design/production right now. I would guess it will be available for retail sometime in the next 4-6 months.

I wonder if the set would be available before Christmas. From now until Christmas would be exactly four months.

• 3 months later...

Well, if this set follows the same pattern as 21102 did, the initial wave will sell out quickly, and go for a high price for second hand sellers, then Lego waits a few months and creates new stock. Either way, it looks like a great set nonetheless. I'll be grabbing a few just in case.