Ideas #005: 21104 - NASA Mars Science Laboratory Curiosity Rover

Etan

The exact wording Lego used in their January 2014 Catalog concerning the Rover was "Limited Quantity", so I think they gave us fair warning.

Edit: To be honest, I never really understood why so many thought that the Rover would be coming back. It was OOS for 6 months and we were still getting posts about speculation of its mysterious return.  :ermm:

They did bring Architecture Studio back. Not exactly the same case, but implies "anything is possible".

They did bring Architecture Studio back. Not exactly the same case, but implies "anything is possible".

That is very true. The AS was OOS for a long time and everyone thought that it was going to retire. Now, it's back in stock, and it will be released to the whole world and not just the US.

Guest TabbyBoy

That is very true. The AS was OOS for a long time and everyone thought that it was going to retire. Now, it's back in stock, and it will be released to the whole world and not just the US.

Was AS actually a "Retired Product" on LEGO Shop at Home in the USA?  If it was, other "unretirements" may come back to bite us hard.

Was AS actually a "Retired Product" on LEGO Shop at Home in the USA?  If it was, other "unretirements" may come back to bite us hard.

The AS was never a "Retired Product", but it was OOS for so long that many of us thought that it was unofficially retired.

Yeah, but the AS was never marked as retired, was it? In many countries, the Rover is already tagged as such.

I was commenting at "Why people thought Rovers could come back if they were at OOS for so long". Obviously, 'retired' flag makes resurrection nearly impossible.

The only counter-argument i could propose is the Winter Village Market, which is declared as "retired' in Europe, but present in DE and NL 2014 second half of the year catalogs, and according to some Lego CS in Europe, it is not really retired

If Lego ever "unretired" a popular set, this would be a massive game changer.

True, but one could argue that they already did this with the Catwoman set last near. It was marked "retired" but they did indeed bring it back. That was was/is very popular still. 

Guest TabbyBoy

True, but one could argue that they already did this with the Catwoman set last near. It was marked "retired" but they did indeed bring it back. That was was/is very popular still. 

Can you imagine the carnage if 10179 came back?

The Catwoman was never marked retired in the US. It was Sold Out for a long time until that pallet showed up just in time for Black Friday sale at S @ H.

• Like 2

The Catwoman was never marked retired in the US. It was Sold Out for a long time until that pallet showed up just in time for Black Friday sale at S @ ****.

That is good to hear. I thought that Lego never unretired a set. If Lego did unretire a set, I would go crazy! :frantics:

Got an "In stock notification" from TRU at 2:09am. I was asleep. Went now to check and it wasn't available.  :negative:  I wonder how many they had or if it was just a system burp? 

From ToysRUs Tue Jul 15 23:09:25 2014

Dear Valued Customer: 

Good News! In response to your request, we are pleased to inform you that the following item is back in stock and available for purchase online: 

Item: 31225306 Description: LEGO Cuusoo Mars Curiosity Rover (21104)

To order this item, simply click here or call our Guest Service Team at 1-800-TOYSRUS (869-7787). 

Please note, due to high demand of this item, we cannot guarantee availability. In addition, previous sale prices or promotions may not be available. 

Thank you again and hurry back soon to see what

I've got enough of these in stock to upset a few people but, I'm holding until probably November ready for the Xmas spike.  What's more, my first listing will be to EU buyers only as less risk of shipping problems.

I doubt there are many Americans with as many as I have, I'm really looking forward to $150 prices come Xmas, I'd love to clear 10k in profit off this set

Guest TabbyBoy

I doubt there are many Americans with as many as I have, I'm really looking forward to $150 prices come Xmas, I'd love to clear 10k in profit off this set

The profit on the half or so that I've sold have already made up for my mistakes in buying CITY sets.